PDA

View Full Version : Donald Frangipani Lawsuit vs HBO, Simon, Spence,PSA

RichardSimon
03-16-2010, 03:42 PM
As many of you probably know Donald Frangipani had sued myself and HBO,Jimmy Spence and PSA for a variety of reasons.
The suit has taken quite some time to conclude.
But today I got an e mail from my attorney with a brief note and the judges decision.
To quote my attorney's e mail: "We won. Case over."
And I want to say: Thanks to Jeff Lichtmann who recommended the attorney who won the case for me.
--

JimH5
03-16-2010, 03:56 PM
Congratulations, Richard. . .

But don't be too hasty--Make sure you get someone like Chris Morales to authenticate that email, just to make sure it's real.

Bobsbats
03-16-2010, 04:07 PM
Congrats !!!!

barrysloate
03-16-2010, 04:15 PM
Congratulations Richard, I'm sure this is a huge relief.

thekingofclout
03-16-2010, 04:21 PM
I'm sure that a lot of us newer guys on the board are not familiar with the details. Will there be a time when you can share the story?

My sincere congratulations, Jimmy

GrayGhost
03-16-2010, 04:34 PM
Congrats indeed Richard!

brickyardkennedy
03-16-2010, 04:35 PM
Way to go, Rich.

roarfrom34
03-16-2010, 07:52 PM
I'm sure that a lot of us newer guys on the board are not familiar with the details. Will there be a time when you can share the story?

My sincere congratulations, Jimmy

I'm sure there will be a full story for all to read in SCD (The Voice of The Hobby) :D

Leon
03-16-2010, 08:10 PM
Congrats Richard. I am sure that is some relief. We don't need more headaches we need fewer.

baseballart
03-16-2010, 08:22 PM
Congratulations Richard. Can you post a link to the court decision when you get it?
Max

RichardSimon
03-16-2010, 08:37 PM
There are stories all over the Internet, which mention HBO but don't mention the rest of us, but I don't know where there is a link to the judges decision.
And thanks to everyone for their congrats.
--

HRBAKER
03-16-2010, 08:58 PM
I'm sure there will be a full story for all to read in SCD (The Voice of The Hobby) :D

A very faint voice at that!

perezfan
03-16-2010, 09:06 PM
Congrats Richard...

What a horrible injustice, even having to sweat through that type of nonsense...

Good riddance!

HOFautographsT206
03-16-2010, 09:36 PM
Score one for the good guys!!!!!!!!!!!

danc
03-16-2010, 10:07 PM
Fri, Mar 12 2010-NEW YORK (Reuters) - The HBO cable television channel won dismissal of a $5 million defamation lawsuit by a Brooklyn, New York handwriting expert who accused it and "Real Sports" host Bryant Gumbel of tying him to a forgery ring.

Tuesday's ruling by U.S. District Judge George Daniels in Manhattan federal court rejected claims by Donald Frangipani, who said he had more than 40 years of experience in forensic documents, including authenticating sports autographs and other memorabilia by Babe Ruth, Tiger Woods and others.

HBO is a unit of Time Warner Inc.

In his 2008 lawsuit, Frangipani alleged that HBO violated New York State defamation law over a January 2006 "Real Sports" segment, "Forger's Paradise," in which it portrayed him as an authenticator of choice for a forgery ring broken up by the FBI in 2000.

Frangipani also accused large authentication companies of violating federal antitrust and racketeering laws by conspiring to keep him out of the market.

Among the defendants were Gumbel, who hosted "Real Sports," as well as narrator Armen Keteyian and several producers.

In his 15-page decision, Daniels said the plaintiff failed to show that the authentication companies violated federal antitrust and racketeering laws by scheming to freeze him out of the market, or that customers refused to use his services because of the companies' actions.

Because he dismissed Frangipani's federal claims, Daniels declined to exercise jurisdiction over the state law defamation claim.

Salvatore Strazzullo, a lawyer for Frangipani, said he is reviewing the decision and may pursue the case in state court.

David Schulz, a lawyer for the HBO defendants, was not immediately reachable for comment. Lawyers for the other defendants had no immediate comment or did not immediately return requests for comment.

The case is Frangipani v. HBO et al, U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, No. 08-5675.

bigtrain
03-17-2010, 08:19 AM
Congratulations Richard. I defended a defamation suit against a prominent hobby magazine several years ago. It is a frustrating process, even for trial lawyers.

Jewish-collector
03-22-2010, 06:45 AM
Mazel Tov Richard. You should have a few more cups of wine at your sedar next week.

Wite3
03-22-2010, 09:10 PM
Congrats Richard...let us hope this is truly over now.

Joshua