PDA

View Full Version : Picked up my first Tolstoi...I think it's a wet sheet transfer (not sure)

vintagetoppsguy
03-15-2010, 07:49 PM
I picked up my first T206 Tolstoi last week on eBay. The auction was a $140 BIN with a Best Offer option. I have never owned a Tolstoi and I thought that the BIN was a good price (I could be wrong - but either way I am happy with it), so I went ahead and bought it. The card arrived today and it appears to be a wet sheet transfer (from what I've read on these boards), but I am not sure.

The image on the card is a lot clearer than the scan shows. Above Schulte's hat, I can make out the words "Base Ball Series" written backwards, and the word "Tolstoi" running through Shculte's head also written backwards. Is this indeed a wet sheet transfer? If so, does it add any value to the card? Thanks!

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x137/vintagetoppsguy/Vintage%20Cards/Schulte.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x137/vintagetoppsguy/Vintage%20Cards/Schulte_1.jpg

ullmandds
03-15-2010, 08:35 PM
yup...i'd call that a wet sheet transfer. i wouldn't pay extra for it...but someone might? I'd say you overpaid a little...but a nice card nonetheless...enjoy it!

Jantz
03-15-2010, 09:42 PM
Wet sheet transfer for sure. Also called an offset transfer.

Sharp card with a low population.

You got a nice one for your first Tolstoi!

Jantz

ethicsprof
03-15-2010, 09:47 PM
great card.
congrats!
i'm still amazed at how frequently the tolstoi are 'wet transfers.'
i'd say two-thirds of my tolstoi's are this way and i never sought them out.

best,
barry

T206Collector
03-16-2010, 03:56 AM
The Schulte's are a real nice T206 and are slightly harder to acquire than many of their peers, so kudos for the pick-up!

I would add that while I don't think you necessarily overpaid too much (or even at all), when a seller offers a BIN with best offer option, it means he thought his BIN was too high and is willing to accept less. But I suspect the best you would have done here is somewhere north of $100 - perhaps $125 or so.

Congrats on the pick-up!

Exhibitman
03-16-2010, 07:56 PM
when a seller offers a BIN with best offer option, it means he thought his BIN was too high and is willing to accept less.

Not necessarily; it may also mean that the BIN is there for someone who is desperate for the card but the best offer is there to see what kind of offers it draws.

T206Collector
03-16-2010, 08:02 PM
Not necessarily; it may also mean that the BIN is there for someone who is desperate for the card but the best offer is there to see what kind of offers it draws.

Uh. Okay. But even if that were true 50% of the time, taking the BIN without seeing what offer below BIN might be accepted is giving money away half the time. Heck, even if there is no "best offer" option I have found the BIN sellers more than happy to take less than their high BINs -- frankly, they prefer to do business that way because it saves them ebay fees.

vintagetoppsguy
03-16-2010, 08:29 PM
I see both points. But here is how I look at it. Even though I might have slightly overpaid, I am still happy with the purchase. Like most buyers, when I see a BIN with a Best Offer option, I usually send an offer and the seller can either accept, decline or send a counter offer. Again, this was my first Tolstoi purchase, so I had a buyers impulse to not let it get away. I would have felt bad if I would have submitted a BO and another buyer would have hit the BIN in the meantime.

T206Collector
03-16-2010, 11:20 PM
I had a buyers impulse to not let it get away. I would have felt bad if I would have submitted a BO and another buyer would have hit the BIN in the meantime.

Totally understandable. The risk of making an offer instead of taking the BIN is losing the card to someone else.

Rob D.
03-17-2010, 04:35 AM
I would have felt bad if I would have submitted a BO and another buyer would have hit the BIN in the meantime.

I've been there. Twice on eBay I've come across Cleveland Indians pennants that I really wanted within hours after they were listed. Each time they were a bit overpriced but not terribly so. Each time I submitted an offer, waited about 30 minutes, didn't receive a response, then clicked the BIN button.

I've always thought the sellers had a good laugh.