PDA

View Full Version : SCD Standard Catalog Errata & Corrections (Attn: Bob Lemke)

rhettyeakley
03-15-2010, 03:12 PM
Brian's recent E121 post and Phil's post about correcting dates of known sets has gotten me thinking that maybe it would be a good idea to start a thread where we could point out some areas where wrong information is in the SCD Standard Catalog.

I know Bob Lemke has again taken the helm of the best reference book we have so I think it is in our best interest to keep it as correct as possible, and Bob does a great job but I think it is our duty to help him out.

It would be cool to get some other people involved with this (or this thread may just die a quick death). Also, feel free to bump this thread at any point if new info or new errors are found.

Anyways, here is something to start...

In the E122 American Caramel set checklist the following (2) cards are erroneously listed and are not actually a part of this set...

-Sam Harris (this is an E220 card where Stanley is incorrectly listed as Sam)
-Perry Lipe (Someone obviously got E222 and E122 mixed up as Lipe never made the majors and was done w/ his minor league career by 1916.

Also, in the 2009 book I have there is a "Suter" listed in the E254 set--this is a mistake (unless a scan can be provided). The player identified as "Sullivan" in the E254 set's first name is Suter so I think that is where the confusion stems from.

Anyways, anyone else have some new info for Bob's SCD Catalog?

Bob Lemke
03-15-2010, 03:28 PM
I'd be appreciative of the forum's help in this regard.

I try to keep up on the individual threads, but some things will always be overlooked.

As hard as it is to believe, it may already be too late to get any more changes into the 2011 book. I've submitted hundreds of changes, additions, corrections, etc. for the vintage sections over the past six months, but the window may be closing on further additions.

The publisher has moved the catalog's data base onto a new platform and the bugs that are inevitable with such a migration may prevent further new data from being accepted for the 2011 book.

I'll keep marking up my desk copy, however, based on your input, and forward it to the in-house staff. At what point they'll cut it off is currently unknown.

Thanks for your efforts to keep the big book vital.

FUBAR
03-15-2010, 03:31 PM
i still use my 1998 book i got in the clearance bin for $5. 1500 pages of goodness, best book i ever bought.

HRBAKER
03-15-2010, 04:17 PM
The 2010 catalog has correctly removed the Raymond Powell (Stands in Background) listing from the set. The picture of the card as an example of the set still remains (pg. 126).

The photo used as an example for the 1935 R309-2s (pg. 159) is actually a R313 Fine Pen Greenberg.

rhettyeakley
03-15-2010, 05:03 PM
Jeff, I'm glad you brought up the Exhibit issues, I've been meaning to bring up the following....

I have shown this variation before and it is yet to be catalogued anywhere. One of the cards is likely a part of the 1923 or 1924 sets and (for some reason) they thought to re-crop the O'Neil photo. I haven't really paid attention to whether one is tougher than the other (but I suspect one is--and from a later years (1923 or 1924) set).

http://www.starsofthediamond.com/22exoneil.JPG

-Rhett

steve B
03-15-2010, 09:40 PM
Cool idea, even if stuff won't make it till 2012.

If there's a matching thread in postwar, feel free to move this
(I read prewar first them work my way down the page)

Just one non pre war item I know about. The 1979 Red Sox team issued set on page 48 of the 2010 book isn't team issued. They were sold as a set by a street vendor located on the bridge over the mass pike. At the time the rumor was that they were made by Fenway sportscards, a shop at the far end of Kenmore square. I never did verify that though. The set also has a few more cards than are listed. The unlisted ones are double sided and I'd need some help figuring out who the players are.

Other than that just a few oddities of the pricing, like the E90-1 Summers showing as being expensive, and a few sets that have weird things like a price for commons, but no cards listed as commons. I'm betting those have mostly been caught and other typos have crept in. Just the nature of such a huge undertaking.

Great book, I've had a few of them over the years.

Steve B

Exhibitman
03-17-2010, 01:05 PM
Interesting question, Rhett. Seems to me that the closer cropped picture is the later one but since I have one I have to guess that the closer cropped one is the easier hence earlier one. :D

brianp-beme
03-17-2010, 02:03 PM
Thought I would drag over the list of cards from the other thread concerning the E121 series of 80 that are currently catalogued but have not been verified (all back types--we won't worry about the back variation availability yet).

Cards that possibly do not exist in the E121 series of 80 set:

G.C. Alexander (arms above head)
Ty Cobb (throwing, Face Front)
Alexander Gaston (with position)
Alexander Gaston (no position)
Fred Schupp (not 'Ferd')
Tris Speaker (batting-small projection)

Brian

fkw
03-17-2010, 11:52 PM
I dont have the 2010 yet, but in the 2009 there are a couple I can think of. (I dont have the guide with me right now)

Price listed is way off
1925 Holland Ice Cream #16 Peckinpaugh card (chase card)
There is only a single known example and it sold 1 time as far as I know of..... I sold it about 8 years ago (privately) for $3K in G/VG yet the catalog still has it listed at $2500 NRMT. IMO it should be listed at roughly $10K NRMT, $5K EX, $3K VG, if not more (it is similar to the 1923 Maple Crispettes #15 Stengel card).
scan of card
http://centuryoldcards.com/images/1925hollandpeckinpaugh.jpg

Error
the 1920 W519 numbered type 2 (aka W519-2-2)
There are 3 cards listed as "b" variations (12b, 13b, 20b) that Im 99.997% sure are really misidentified W521's.
W519-2-2 have light blue numbers, W521 have black numbers.

Update
W517-2 mini's, the complete set is only 16 cards, not 54 like the normal W517's.
W517 Mini's Checklist (Cochrane, Collins, Critz, Donahue, Gehrig, Grove, Jackson, Judge, Kamm, Kelly, Klein, Miller, O'Doul, Shire, Vance, P.Waner)

Vintagecatcher
03-18-2010, 05:54 AM
Bob,

This was the thread I started earlier this year regarding Home Run Kisses backs:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=115831&highlight=HRK+Backs

Patrick

HRBAKER
03-20-2010, 05:31 PM
Interesting question, Rhett. Seems to me that the closer cropped picture is the later one but since I have one I have to guess that the closer cropped one is the easier hence earlier one. :D

Rhett/Adam,
My O'Neil is the closer cropped one as well leading me to believe that it is the easiest and most likely the '22 and the other a '23-'24 if not a '22 variation.
Jeff