PDA

View Full Version : Totally destroyed T206 Wagner on Ebay

Clark7781
03-13-2010, 07:06 AM
Look at the price right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220567781500&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

GrayGhost
03-13-2010, 07:10 AM
Cheap or not, how in Blue Heaven would you know that is real?

toppcat
03-13-2010, 07:11 AM
Why this card is allowed to be listed on Ebay anymore is beyond me.

asoriano
03-13-2010, 07:16 AM
I like that Sovereign reverse! :)

bbsports
03-13-2010, 07:23 AM
The type of the name on the front of the card looks different than the standard T206 card. Authenticity looks questionable.

Zach Wheat
03-13-2010, 07:35 AM
I like the coffee or tea stains that soaked through the creases on the front.

buymycards
03-13-2010, 07:43 AM
This is an obvious fake. If it were real he could get it graded as authentic and sell it for 100k.

GrayGhost
03-13-2010, 07:54 AM
I figured it may be fake, but are you guys honestly telling me, and dont get me wrong, I know how rare (tho far from the rarest, as u guys know) that card is, you would actually think someone would pay 100,000 for that wretched afterthought?

Next thing they'll do, and I hope Topps isn't reading this, is take PIECES OF RARE CARDS (like they do w uniforms, bats, etc) and have them be chase cards.

Here, is your 2011 insert card number 5EP.

" Congratulations!, you have pulled a genuine (1/10) Eddie Plank T206 card artifact piece. Topps certifiies that this is a GENUINE portion of an original 1909-11 T206 Eddie Plank Card, one of the rarest baseball cards of all times. "

:mad::D

JP
03-13-2010, 07:55 AM
I like that there is no real bidder beyond $3.79.

T206DK
03-13-2010, 07:59 AM
I emailed the seller and asked him if he inherited this card from his local flea market. I also added that he ought to try maxwell house instead of tea to soak his cards in; it makes them look more authentic ! This exact same card was for sale a month ago , I remember seeing it on Ebay. This card must have been part of the infamous Cesar's Creek Flea Market find of Sovereign backed Wagner cards, and commons with red Piedmont backs LOL....if only I could get so lucky :p

pgellis
03-13-2010, 08:08 AM
Most of the fake Wagners that I have seen are "too tall" top to bottom, meaning that the border on the top and border on the bottom are too wide (or tall), just like this one. If it were real, and a simple miscut, there would be a large border at the top and small border at the bottom, or vice versa.

GrayGhost
03-13-2010, 08:14 AM
I emailed the seller and asked him if he inherited this card from his local flea market. I also added that he ought to try maxwell house instead of tea to soak his cards in; it makes them look more authentic ! This exact same card was for sale a month ago , I remember seeing it on Ebay. This card must have been part of the infamous Cesar's Creek Flea Market find of Sovereign backed Wagner cards, and commons with red Piedmont backs LOL....if only I could get so lucky :p

ROFL..I just spilled coffee on this tax return Im working on from laughing. TREMENDOUS!:p

Fred
03-13-2010, 08:45 AM
For now there's one thing for certain, the sun will shine tomorrow and there will always be a Wagner on ebay thread at least once a year. You have to love these sellers...

THIS CARD IS BEING SOLD AS IS.NO REFUNDS.THE CARD IS IN POOR CONDITION

IVE BEEN ASKED WHY IS CARD IN SUCH POOR CONDITION.I INHEIRETED THIS WAY AND KEPT IT LOCKED UP

teetwoohsix
03-13-2010, 09:59 AM
JP is right-the sellers two buddies are engaging in a bidding war for this masterpiece-over $100.00???:eek:

It's amazing to me why they didn't go as far as to scrape off the remainder of the Sovereign frame and call it a blank backed Wagner :rolleyes:

ctownboy
03-13-2010, 11:20 AM
The seller has bought a replica $10,000 dollar bill for $3.00 dollars, a replica $1,000 dollar bill for $3.00 dollars and a ball with fake Ruth and Gehrig signatures on it for $175 dollars, why does ANYBODY think THIS card is original?

David

sportscardtheory
03-13-2010, 12:28 PM
lol You could drop it in a cup of hot water and have coffee.

tbob
03-13-2010, 01:35 PM
P.T. Barnum is laughing somewhere on this card.

3and2
03-13-2010, 01:37 PM
The seller has bought a replica $10,000 dollar bill for $3.00 dollars, a replica $1,000 dollar bill for $3.00 dollars and a ball with fake Ruth and Gehrig signatures on it for $175 dollars, why does ANYBODY think THIS card is original?

David

David, nice investigation work...can't wait to see when this guy puts up the Ruth/Gehrig ball that he inherited and had locked up in a safety deposit box for the past 20 years.

T206DK
03-13-2010, 02:16 PM
Wait this might get even better ! I checked the sellers winning auctions as a bidder recently. Unless I typed in his name wrong it said he won a 1909 Sweet Caporal Wagner card 2 days ago from a seller (rawoysterman). I checked that sellers feedback out and laughed....one of his listings for a Cobb portrait w/Ty Cobb back said " scary re-print" and " highly recommended".
I'm still waiting to hear a story about one of these "re-prints that don't say re-print" turning out to be a real card. I've never heard fo one.

yes Bob, P.T. Barnum is laughing right now:)

bobbvc
03-13-2010, 02:55 PM
Its' reel! Dew to all the naysaayers im' razing postage too $30 to protekt my invisment

GrayGhost
03-13-2010, 09:43 PM
We all have fun w lousy reprints/fakes like these. But, sadly, some MORON (and I use that word, like in autographs) will think its real, because they don't do research and buy this garbage. This is just like people that buy forgeries. DO SOME RESEARCH on high dollar cards. With all of the collectors who know what they are doing, if its real low, its probably garbage.

Old saying, if it looks too good to be true, it probably is, and If it looks like its been dropped in a cup of tea, and rubbed in dirt to make it look old, then it probably has..ha.

T206DK
03-13-2010, 10:45 PM
I agree with Scott. Though we here get a good laugh out of these auctions, some unknowing collector or speculator usually gets duped. that is unless alot of the winners of these types of auctions are shills. It's hard to tell these days with Ebay practically protecting these types of sellers. It's really bad for the hobby too if these cards are being manufactured in great numbers. It's so easy to fool people on Ebay and the flea market types around here do it as much as they can. Just put up a bunch of authentic commons for sale and add a nice goudey Ruth reprint soaked in Earl Grey and rubbed on the driveway , and alot of people would say you were legit. I've seen re-prints supposedly sell for hundreds on Ebay and it's because someone believed it was a real card. I'm not sure what we as collecotrs can do other than to report such fraud when and where we see it. the problem is really Ebay. I remember in 2007 there was a class being offered by someone in Dayton and in Lebanon ...one of the techniques they were teaching people was how to sell re-prints as real cards by using vague listings and blurry photos, etc...Kind of makes me wish for the old Teletrade days !!

GrayGhost
03-14-2010, 08:27 AM
I remember in 2007 there was a class being offered by someone in Dayton and in Lebanon ...one of the techniques they were teaching people was how to sell re-prints as real cards by using vague listings and blurry photos, etc...Kind of makes me wish for the old Teletrade days !!

WHAT? And this was allowed? Maybe Coach's attended such a class or enrolled, as many of their items have "mysterious blurred photos".

The vague listings is really interesting too. Sometimes I read a listing on the bay for a card or autograph, and they DO say its a reprint, buried in the description or "possibly reprint" . Some people , and yes, its the buyers' fault here, don't CAREFULLY read the whole description.

Again, there's so much to love with the hobby, but the forgeries and fake bidders and all this stuff will never go away, as there's always some scum looking to make a fast buck.

T206DK
03-14-2010, 11:53 PM
yes this "course" was being offered by a private marketing company I think. During the class the one of the guys ( a professional auctioneer/flea marketer) held up several Old Judge,T206, and Topps reprints that looked real from a distance. He explained to people what type of wording to use in their listing when selling "old baseball" cards. the phrase Estate Sale came up alot. When someone asked him if the cards he was holding were real he danced around the question and kept saying. In your listing you can just put "for Sale" Cap Anson baseball card....he then proceeded to answer the question with a question " how do you know it's not real if you find it at an estate sale? " There are 3 large Flea Markets within 10 miles of me, and I go to one of them once a month. One of the former big card dealers that set up at traders world was busted I believe a few years back for removing SGC graded T206's and replacing them with computer printoffs he made on his laser printer. He was nailed by someone he tried selling a Cobb card to I think.
I don't think Ebay has a financial interest in trying to stop these people at all. As a matter of fact I wonder now if Ebay will even look the same a year from now. Fox business network reported the other day that key employees are "jumping ship" this year from the company to pursue other ventures. I found it odd they used the term Jumping ship. I've heard Ebay was laying people off and streamlining, but maybe they are in trouble like alot of other companies. I liked the old days when only a small percentage of listings were BIN. Todays Ebay is just floooded with overpriced stodge as far as pre-war stuff goes. Everyones poop is for sale at ridiculously high prices....very few deals are to be found, and try making someone a "best offer" mine have all been refused - 100% of them. Ebay has changed since I first joined way back in 1995 or '96, and I say not for the better.

E93
03-15-2010, 02:22 PM
People should really take better care of their reprints.