PDA

View Full Version : What's it gonna cost to buy the 'real one'

scottglevy
03-11-2010, 08:48 PM
For those who don't know me ... my name is Scott Levy and I am a T206 rare back addict --- ahh that was therapeutic.

No secret then that I've already started to drool over the OM brown overprint in REA. Any guesses as to how much I'll need to stash away to try to grab this one?

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2010_preview/9354.html

Regards,
Scott

ullmandds
03-11-2010, 09:16 PM
I think you'll need 10-15K for that one. Probably twice that the more I think about it?!

scottglevy
03-11-2010, 09:57 PM
I liked your first estimate far more :)

JP
03-11-2010, 10:14 PM
I completely disagree. I bet it stays under $10k. It is interesting, but I'm not sure how heated the competition will be...

EDIT: talking it down so I can have it!!!

Chicago206
03-11-2010, 10:21 PM
Although a VERY cool card, I just dont consider it a "back variety". Its more of a printer's error than anything else. Having said that, I can certainly see the appeal as other cards in the set with front errors also draw huge money. But my question is, can someone have a "complete" backs set without this card?

ChiefBenderForever
03-11-2010, 10:29 PM
Although a VERY cool card, I just dont consider it a "back variety". Its more of a printer's error than anything else. Having said that, I can certainly see the appeal as other cards in the set with front errors also draw huge money. But my question is, can someone have a "complete" backs set without this card?

Yes you can have a "complete" backs run without these one of kind card but you need this one !!

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2010_preview/9887.html

M's_Fan
03-11-2010, 10:43 PM
I agree with ChicagoT206, this is a printing error in my opinion, like thousands of other printing anomalies; not a separate back. I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but sometimes it seems to me the auction companies over-hype cards like this.

ullmandds
03-11-2010, 10:43 PM
this card is obviously for the most advanced t206 backs collector...someone who already has bl 460, brown lenox, brown old mill...and maybe a cobb/cobb as well. this collector needs this back variation for his/hers collection to be complete. For most of us...1 of each brand back + red hindu is challenging enough!

ullmandds
03-11-2010, 10:45 PM
in my opinion this card deserves to be hyped...if you truly revere backs...this is a grail.

ChiefBenderForever
03-11-2010, 10:47 PM
in my opinion this card deserves to be hyped...if you truly revere backs...this is a grail.

I agree, I would rather have something like this than a Wagner !

scottglevy
03-12-2010, 12:10 PM
For a normal, rational human being they do not need this card to have a complete back set. I'd say that anyone with either 37 or 38 different cards would have a complete back set (the cobb/cobb is debatable) by virtually anybody's standards.

However, for someone who is relatively insane (like me) this is a borderline must have :)

JasonL
03-12-2010, 12:31 PM

This should stay well under $1,000.
There just aren't that many people who focus on collecting T206 backs.
;):rolleyes:

Leon
03-12-2010, 12:40 PM
15k-18k....I haven't researched enough to personally count it or not...but would always lean towards counting it if it's legit....*(which I think it is from what I have read, meaning not just a print error, but I am not 100% sure)

Chicago206
03-12-2010, 04:24 PM
The fact that the only 2 to exist both have the overprint in the wrong location AND upside down AND the wrong color is enough to qualify this as an error. Had the overprint been in brown, and at the bottom of the card, now you are on to something.

PolarBear
03-12-2010, 05:17 PM
I agree that it's a printing error.

ChiefBenderForever
03-12-2010, 05:22 PM
It is possible the printer was color blind and drunk when he did these. Anyways a truly unique piece, good luck Scott I hope you win it !!

ScottFandango
03-13-2010, 06:18 AM

deja vu.....

its a printer error not a variety???? hmmmmm

Chicago206
03-13-2010, 10:20 AM
deja vu.....

its a printer error not a variety???? hmmmmm

IMO, a "variety" is a card that was meant to be distributed and is manufactured with purpose. Such "varieties" would be any of the Sweet Cap overprints, and even the different colored Hindus, Old Mills, and Lenox cards.

An "error" IMO is any card which displays graphics or text that was never intended. With the position, placement, and color of the OM overprint, its very obvious this overprint was not intended. Either it is an obvious printing error, or, more likely, a "fantasy card" either produced at ALC or in someone's basement.

You may not be familiar with coins, but the 1913 Liberty Head nickel is a great example of a "fantasy piece". In 1913, the nickel's design changed to the Indian head (buffalo reverse), yet somehow exactly 5 coins were struck with the old design, but dated 1913. Its obvious that some mint employee thought it would be cool to have something "rare" like that. Is it a coin? Technically yes and no.

Bridwell
03-13-2010, 10:38 AM
Yes, I agree with Chicago206. I see it as a printing freak, not a collectible variation that was intended by the manufacturer.