PDA

View Full Version : Help identifying this NL FFrick ball

Rawlings
03-10-2010, 08:15 PM
Hi, just wondering if anyone knows anything about this ball. It's an officially stamped NL ball with the Frick sig. What's different about it: the stitches are two colors. Never seen that on one of these. I'm thinking it's made for another league - maybe Mexican League or something? Any ideas?

jbsports33
03-11-2010, 01:49 PM
MLB from the 30s or 40s they had blue and red as well

Jimmy

william_9
03-11-2010, 09:01 PM
Not sure if this helps you or not, but, I took this photo at the Hall of Fame a few years back because I had the same question regarding the stitches. Yours is the only other example that I've seen. Maybe it was for one season only? I never really dug for the answer, though the question still pops up from time to time.

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt332/william_peebles/IMG_3714-1.jpg

Rawlings
03-12-2010, 05:08 PM
Thank you very much for sharing this photo. It's helpful, it is now the only information I have on the ball. At least it proves it was a version that was used in games. Very surprising to me since the leagues switched to single lace color in 1933-34. I wonder why these were made, or where to find more info.

That is the only other one I've seen as well. I was positive it must have been a ball from a Mexican or other professional league.