PDA

View Full Version : PSA vs. SGC for vintage basketball?

booyahlaw
03-09-2010, 09:32 PM
Got a question that's been bugging me here lately. I have some older, mostly regional basketball cards from the 1950's and 1960's that I am desiring to grade. However, I am wondering which company would be better to send them to. I know this question has been discussed liberally in many vintage baseball forums, but I have yet to see it addressed in regards to regional basketball issues. I have used both PSA and SGC before with good results.

My question is has any of you in the vintage basketball arena developed a preference of one over the other. I enjoy SGC's customer service, however the lure of vying for a set registry with PSA seems very appealing to me. I would also think that PSA would provide a stronger network of suppliers which could help my quest to complete certain sets which would be in my set registry. Also, there is the question of resale, should that time come.

Any opinions which could be provided would be appreciated.

Phil

aro13
03-09-2010, 09:40 PM
I collect 48 Bowman, 57 Topps and 61 Fleer and in that area PSA will do better in the higher grades (NM and better) particularly if the card is a tough to find "low pop" card. I have often bought SGC cards and crossed them to PSA for my registry sets at a discount.

I do not collect the regional issues. However, based on what limited items I have seen I think you would be fine going with either company. If you feel the card presents better in the SGC holder that might be the way to go. I do not think you will be leaving money on the table either way.