PDA

View Full Version : Pawn Stars

yanks12025
03-08-2010, 09:03 PM
Does anyone here watch Pawn Stars on the history channel. The last episode they just had on, they had a Lou Gehrig signed jersey. They in the end thought the jersey was real and paid $3,000 for it. But it did come with 3 letters of authenticity, one of which was STAT. I was guessing it was a fake from the start.

Jantz
03-08-2010, 09:10 PM
Brock - Neat show! I watch every episode. I learn quite a bit about different collectibles and antiques.

By the way, every episode from season 1 and season 2 can be viewed (commercial free) on Youtube. As I mentioned in another thread, you don't need to set up an account to watch these videos which are put on Youtube by the History channel

Jantz

GrayGhost
03-08-2010, 09:40 PM
I missed that episode. Hopefully they'l replay it.

God darn fake Garbage..

and Also, why are there three threads on this?

Pup6913
03-08-2010, 09:58 PM
I DVR every episode. I knew the second that thing walked in it was no good. Who would take something like that to a pawn shop:confused: A scammer who knows it will not sell at an auction house.

milkit1
03-08-2010, 10:10 PM
He said he contacted an auction house in PA about it as the camera showed the STAT authentication. Now take a wild guess what auction comes out of PA.

collectbaseball
03-09-2010, 08:33 AM
I love that show... I think I've seen most episodes but I haven't seen that one. Do you know what season/episode number it was?

I love when sports collectibles come in because it's the one thing I feel like I know more about than the people on the show.

edit: Nevermind, saw in another thread that it's being replayed on Thurs

bijoem
03-09-2010, 08:38 AM
maybe it was staged to make the show more interesting?

perezfan
03-09-2010, 09:19 AM
I agree... in real life those people do not take stupid chances, or leave anything to doubt. Most of "reality tv" is staged. The second that a camera is pointing at you, the reality factor is gone. The vast majority of these shows are scripted and contrived.

Streetsideguy
03-09-2010, 09:44 AM
I saw the episode last night. Total fake. Had a STAT Certificate, and an AAU certificate from Las Vegas. They never showed the third Cert. My guess is Frangipani. Looks like an HCB collectibles piece to me. HCB always seemed to have pieces like that that were "authenticated" by AAU. I wanted them to have an expert come in and say that is was a fake, but that is not how the show went. Too bad.

Jason

slidekellyslide
03-09-2010, 09:50 AM
I posted this on the postwar card side a few weeks ago....

There is also a forum for Pawn Stars over there and while that show is more interesting than American Pickers much of it is staged also. The old Coke Machine they bought and had restored magically turned into a completely different model of machine...The guy who traded the gun for the guitar actually works in the guitar shop where the guitar he traded for came from..they had it on their website for over a year. That pinball machine they bought a few weeks ago for $1,000 that cost them $3,000 to restore and the guy told them they could get $5,000 for it...what world are they living in??? You can get a total restore of a vintage pinball for way less than 3 Grand, and that particular game isn't worth more than $700 completely restored.

I know they can't know everything, but those baseball cards looked real to me...I DVR'ed the show and watched it on a 52 inch HDTV and they looked authentic to me when I paused it and took a good look.

All that said the show is still interesting and I love watching it. I still watch American Pickers too, but it's more like watching a train wreck and I can't avert my eyes.

John V
03-09-2010, 10:08 AM
Sliding off topic:
I get confused sometimes while watching American Pickers...thinking I'm watching Hoarders.

slidekellyslide
03-09-2010, 10:39 AM
The majority of people they are "picking" would definitely fit into the hoarder category.

jbsports33
03-09-2010, 03:26 PM
I watched the episode and was wondering why the owner went from 10,000 to 3,000 quickly. It did not look good to me right from the start and not sure what type of jersey that was in the frame. I would have asked him to take it out first thing and asked more questions. 3 certs is good but it really depends where and when they had been done

Jimmy

J.McMurry
03-09-2010, 04:06 PM
Just how many Legit signed Gehrig jerseys exist? I'd be surprised if there are more than two in the world,and I'm supposed to believe that one of them is in a pawn shop in Vegas? LOL.

danc
03-09-2010, 04:21 PM
I talked about this episode before it aired with another N54'er in Instant Message and we both knew without question that the only outfit that could sell this was CCSA and the only authenticators that would say it's good are those guys. I didn't watch the episode because I knew how it would end (they wouldn't say it wasn't good), and now I totally question the expertise of the outfit. If you check out the Pawn Shop Message Board, it appears to be more of a show with actors than a business, but this proves that these guys know less than I suspected. What other cool things that were featured on the show were bogus? After all, how much did this buyer pay for this item? Can't be over $1,000, so of course he's pleased to triple his money. It's just another sad chapter in this hobby.

DanC

cbcbcb
03-09-2010, 09:39 PM
From the episodes I have seen, it seems like they call in people they know who are "experts" on certain areas, with the exception of sports memorabilia they acquire. They said it had three COAs, so apparently it had to be good. There are thousands of random COAs floating around, just because there are three for one piece doesn't mean its authentic.

FUBAR
03-09-2010, 09:49 PM
it wouldnt be that hard to make your own COA's, making them look authentic, that to me shows what they are worth.

D. Bergin
03-10-2010, 06:37 AM
Saw it last night. Most disturbing was the legitimacy the show gave these horrible authentication companies.

Rick should probably stick to buying gliders and hot air balloons.

GrayGhost
03-10-2010, 07:06 AM
When the hell was it on? I MUST SEE THAT. I need to check rerun schedule.

Rick didnt buy the balloon. Big Hoss did..haha. Chumlee is probably floating over the Bunny Ranch in that balloon..haha.

RichardSimon
03-10-2010, 12:47 PM
It is on again Thursday nite.
--

henson1855
03-10-2010, 03:53 PM
This has been bugging me since I watched the show air,so being that I live in Vegas,I went in to Gold and Silver Pawn where they film Pawn Stars and I was told they DID NOT buy the jersey they in fact knew in wasn't authentic and more or less it was just used like the other items to fill time in the show,so now I feel better.

Jim VB
03-10-2010, 04:02 PM
This has been bugging me since I watched the show air,so being that I live in Vegas,I went in to Gold and Silver Pawn where they film Pawn Stars and I was told they DID NOT buy the jersey they in fact knew in wasn't authentic and more or less it was just used like the other items to fill time in the show,so now I feel better.

Mike,

This was mentioned in one of the other threads, but the current owner/potential seller owns a memorabilia shop in Bally's.

http://xtremecollectibles.com/lou-gehrig-signed-jersey.html

pscolgrafs
03-10-2010, 04:08 PM
I just watched it. Wow! Where does one begin. What a comedy of errors (or airheads).

The one thing that nobody brought up is the fact that CCSA told him (he made mention of it) that it originated from a farmer in his 70's from Arkansas. Are we shocked to hear Arkansas is involved in this transaction?

The jersey in question was sold in the October 2008 auction and is enclosed below. The seller, after paying fees and having it framed, made little, but how comical was it that he went from wanting $10,000 to $7,000 to $3,000?

Also, he says it's the only jersey he has ever seen. CCSA has sold dozens of Gehrig signed jerseys and pants, as pictured below (just a few) and some of them failed to bring in even $400!

perezfan
03-10-2010, 04:13 PM

Reality TV has no ties to actual reality. These shows are all staged and contrived, and are a very cheap form of entertainment. They don't have to hire any big-name stars, or use elaborate sets/locations. It is sad to me, how many people put so much stock in these types of shows. MTV and VH1 should just go back to playing music, as they are now littered with this type of programming. (I know this particular show airs on the History Channel... am just using those two as an example).

RichardSimon
03-10-2010, 04:54 PM
So in other words, we can put as much faith in this show and the alleged Gehrig jersey purchase, as we can in Jack Bauer and 24? If that is the case, that they really did not buy the jersey, then why doesn't the history channel put on a show about the circus instead, at least there the clowns don't lie.
--

sayhey24
03-10-2010, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by henson1855:
"This has been bugging me since I watched the show air,so being that I live in Vegas,I went in to Gold and Silver Pawn where they film Pawn Stars and I was told they DID NOT buy the jersey they in fact knew in wasn't authentic and more or less it was just used like the other items to fill time in the show,so now I feel better. "

I guess I don't understand why they would pretend it's real for the sake of the show if they actually knew it was not authentic. Isn't it more compelling TV to expose it as a fake and talk about all the forgeries out there. That's exactly what they did with a reproduced statue that was brought in earlier in that episode (or maybe it was in the episode that aired right before this one).

Greg

PhilNap
03-10-2010, 08:24 PM
On the show, the seller said that when he acquired the jersey it was not framed. From the image of the Coach's listing posted by Pscolgraphs it sure looks like the same frame job.

WillowGrove
03-10-2010, 08:29 PM
I should have known this site would have fans of my two favorite shows. (judge judy move over)

I thought I've seen every episode- but what was the Pawn Stars episode show with the Baseball cards? Can someone tell me what cards and what happened?

Or I could just find it online or on demand.

It's funny that someone mentioned Pickers is slow and tough to watch (i'm paraphrasing)- because I love it but somehow feel similar. The guys who try to be so nice to the people they meet, grate on me. and their analysis of how they negotiate is like taking the most obvious thing in the world and explaining it in-depth.

But it is amazing to me to find a show that answers the question I used to ask myself from the backseat of the car during rides out in the country with my parents - "why don't we stop and go into these old houses and look for baseball cards???"

GrayGhost
03-10-2010, 09:50 PM
Pawn Stars w the cards was about a group of 1967 Pete Rose cards, which the guys felt were fakes, and no deal was made. Id do a google search for Pawn Stars Pete Rose, and Im sure you can find a video of the show, or at least a clip, of the Rose segment.

olsport
03-10-2010, 10:25 PM
One of the funniest things they do in the show is bring a (so-called) expert in to appraise the item, right in front of the seller!! So the expert says 10,000.00 value on the item, then the seller says he will take 10,000.00. :D Why don't they get the item appraised without the seller there, so they have a better idea what to buy it for wholesale? I guess, so it doesn't make them look shady, and trying to take advantage of the seller.

GrayGhost
03-11-2010, 04:52 AM
I love that show, and will finally get to see this episode tonight at 10 on History Channel. Yeah, its entertainment, probably some contrived, some legit, but to me, its a funny show, I can relate to a couple of the characters and love it. Life shouldnt all be serious all the time. Have some fun w it when you can.

And Richard, Jack Bauer is the man. So, anyone who starts on him, gets a call from CTU..haha.

danc
03-11-2010, 09:51 AM
I've read the old History Channel / Pawn Stars Message Board (before they started over) after first watching the show months ago and Pawn Stars is basically a reality TV show. I take little merit in it's accuracy after reading what people have said about the show on there. If you go to the actual store, it doesn't look anything like it does on TV, and based on their web site, they mostly just sell low priced gold and silver. And their eBay store, well, that's mostly DVD's and collectibles based on the show, like signed attire and T-Shirts.

Here is the new Board and there is a post on the jersey and even links up to the famous N54:

http://community.history.com/forums/144/t/Pawn-Stars.html

You see so many neat things on the show and you assume that the owners and employees know what they are talking about, and then you see this debacle and the 1967 Topps Pete Rose episode and you question things you are unfamiliar with. For me, how cool was that Paul Revere spoon?

The 1967 Topps Pete Rose episode made Rick look bad again. A guy brings in five (I think) in EX+-NM condition and Rick dismisses them as counterfeit because he can't believe the cards are in such nice shape. Like the Gehrig episode, it makes him look like a complete dolt.

You have to look at this show now like Survivor, any Flavor Flav outlet or any reality TV show. It's fun to watch, but you can't assume that what you are watching isn't in fact staged. And why does this guy who owned the Gehrig still have it on his site?

DanC

tinkereversandme
03-11-2010, 10:42 AM
I love those scans. Nice work!

I agree, but don't agree with GreyGhost for the simple reason that it's fine and harmless until it's something that effects your passion, then it's unnerving. Millions of people will be told that these authenticators are experts because almost all of their viewers don't look at this as a reality show (it is). Have fun watching it tonight, GreyGhost? :-)

Regards,

Larry

GrayGhost
03-11-2010, 09:21 PM
I saw the show tonight, and man, that was definitely a bad Gehrig, plus the BS Arkansas story.

The Pawn star guys need to learn which authenticators to avoid, when buying a high dollar piece like this. Hoss said STAT was a highly respected authenticator and one of the best:eek:. Just takes learning, like anything else.

Hopefully, if they did get stuck w it, it won't happen again. 100 pct Fake, obviously.

John V
03-14-2010, 12:54 PM
It looks like the History Channel is running the Gehrig episode tomorrow night at 8:30. Check your local listings.

GrayGhost
03-15-2010, 08:43 AM
http://www.youtube.com/user/TomTresh2

Tom Tresh's Youtube video take on the show as well.

FUBAR
03-15-2010, 11:27 AM
Tom Tresh has some good videos on youtube about forgeries.... especially about ebay and slays Crotch's corner and how crooked they are.

Fuddjcal
03-15-2010, 01:52 PM
the 3rd authenticator that you can plainly see from that episode is none other than our buddy Chris Morales! If you freeze the video, you can plainly see this A-clowns name.

It has the big 3 certs that everyone should look for.:D Drew Max (AAU), Stat Unauthentic and Christopher Morales. WOW what f'en losers.

The fact that these CRIMINALS are not in jail is a CRIME in its self.