PDA

View Full Version : T206 Blank Backs - What are they?

quinnsryche
03-08-2010, 07:04 PM
My question is:what exactly are blank back t206's? Are they printing errors, mistakes or were they issued as such? I have personally never seen one in person or seen one offered. Are they expensive or highly sought after? Any info would be greatly appreciated along with some posted scans too.
Thanks!

cfc1909
03-08-2010, 09:02 PM

just my opinion-the ad was not printed on the reverse-left for scrap, hand cut. I have a handful of them and all are not factory cut. The Slagle is probably 30 bucks with a Piedmont reverse and 300 with the blank reverse-but just my opinion. I am sure other collectors see them differently than I do. If you watch you will be able to find a blank reverse 206 at auction.

hope this helps

Mikehealer
03-08-2010, 09:23 PM
Here's my only one, also hand cut with the deft skill of a surgeon.
It seems like there was one in an auction not to long ago, not sure which
one though.

drc
03-08-2010, 11:05 PM
In one way or other, they are printing errors.

ullmandds
03-08-2010, 11:21 PM
I have one...persons, montgomery...it appears factory cut...has evenly rounded corners...and obviously has a blank back...card has same thickness as any other t206...as soon as i fix my scanner i'll post pic.

cfc1909
03-09-2010, 04:57 AM
Pete-i would like to see that one

here is one that seems to be unfinished on both the front and back...:eek:

ullmandds
03-09-2010, 05:22 AM
here's mine.

iggyman
03-09-2010, 08:04 AM
I'm always leery of T206 blank backs that are not hand cut. I remember Kevin Saucier mentioning that blank backs are easy to create. Plus, I had my own experience, way back when eBay first started, I purchased a scrapbook with some T206 and T218 cards inside. So far, so good. Well, I started soaking the cards and they were easily coming off the scrapbook, but at the same time alot of glue was used and it was very strong (so much so, that it would slightly discolor the water). Most of the cards, ended-up with noticeable staining on the back and on some a tiny bit on the front. Well, at some point I became lazy or got distracted (actually both) and didn't clean the water (as I usually did for each card) and consequently left a T206 Blackburne in the water. When I came back a few minutes later, the ink on the back was 90% gone, yet the front was fine. I'm convinced, that if I would have left it in the water a little longer, I would have ended-up with a blank back card. To this day, I'm not sure what transpired? But, because of this experience, I usually put a "ten-foot" pole between me and a blank back T206 card.

Lovely Day...

drc
03-09-2010, 11:16 AM
Good point, but it is possible for factory cut blank backs to slip into cigarette packs. As a kid, I pulled a blank back out of a Topps pack from the grocery store.

ullmandds
03-09-2010, 12:55 PM
I remember Kevin speaking of how easy it'd be to remove an entire front...or back for that matter, too. I'm not sure what to think of these blank backed t2o6's...I believe they may have been inserted into packs this way...but who really knows? How can I tell if mine has been altered? Send it to KEvin I guess?

onlychild
03-12-2010, 01:01 AM
I love the authentic blank backs with scrap colors on front!

Here is a bunch of blanks from my alteration collection. Most are entirely blank just to see if it could be done without leaving a trace it had been altered. It's a several-step process.

Quote from Mike Baker:

"Here is the first time I’ve seen any card with the entire print removed from both the front and back of the card. The agents used to remove the picture and ink is pretty impressive, this card would obviously not receive a grade or an authentic only description, but it does illustrate how certain chemicals can remove the entire card leaving a “skin” or the paper stock of the issue. The agent used left no smell and the feel of the stock, while different then a card with an image, felt like something you would expect from the time period."

Kevin Saucier

toppcat
03-12-2010, 06:49 AM
Are there any blank fronts known? Can't recall ever seeing or reading about one.

iggyman
03-12-2010, 07:17 AM
Are there any blank fronts known? Can't recall ever seeing or reading about one.

If in 1909, I wuz 9 years old and if my uncle Gilbert gave me a blank front T206 card. Well, paper shredders were apparently invented in 1935 but to tell you the truth I wouldn't have needed one.

Lovely Day...

Brian-Chidester
03-12-2010, 07:51 AM
Great thread. I have nothing significant to add, but blank back T206s have always fascinated me, because I had the feeling that, waiting in a pile of blank backs, would be some alternate players not in the set. When those eight Southern Leaguers showed up in Olbermann's article a few years back, that was the coolest.

onlychild
03-12-2010, 11:41 AM

Sure, I have several but as you can probably guess they are all Franken-206's. They look absolutely perfect with not a single fiber out of place...just no pic on front. Haven't made one for some time, just wanted to see it could be done.

Kevin Saucier

toppcat
03-12-2010, 12:24 PM
Well, my point was if there were blank fronts you might know which was printed first, front or back. Evidence still points to fronts first but I would not be surprised if in some cases backs were printed first too. Like all this other esoterica associated with T206 backs that never saw the inside of a pack, they all seem like scrap or part of the proof process so any true blank fronts would have entered the hobby the same way the other stuff did-via either an old find at ALC or the odds and ends kept by ALC employees or management.