PDA

View Full Version : REA preview

Jim VB
03-05-2010, 12:37 PM
For those (like Rob D.) who demand a sneak preview of the auctions, this info came out today.

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/latest-sports-collecting-news/rea-unveils-auction-details.html

Anthony S.
03-05-2010, 12:42 PM
Been wondering when the REA auction would start. April 12th. Sweet.

oldjudge
03-05-2010, 01:27 PM
A few nice things in there :p. It's no B-L though.

Pup6913
03-05-2010, 04:13 PM
Damn I din't even get a reach around mention for a high grade HOF T205. Should have consigned with B&L;)

calvindog
03-05-2010, 04:48 PM
For those (like Rob D.) who demand a sneak preview of the auctions, this info came out today.

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/latest-sports-collecting-news/rea-unveils-auction-details.html

Is the King barred from that auction? Or am I? Or both of us?

Jim VB
03-05-2010, 06:51 PM
Is the King barred from that auction? Or am I? Or both of us?

I suspect this may be the only auction house that still welcomes both of you. (Although B&L will probably accect you guys, now that I think of it.)

Rob D.
03-05-2010, 07:00 PM
I suspect this may be the only auction house that still welcomes both of you. (Although B&L will probably accect you guys, now that I think of it.)

If there's one thing that auction houses detest, it's collectors who regularly bid (too) aggressively on items they want and always pay promptly.

Jim VB
03-05-2010, 07:16 PM
If there's one thing that auction houses detest, it's collectors who regularly bid (too) aggressively on items they want and always pay promptly.

The hand that writes the checks is OK. The sharp tongue is a deterrent.

Rob D.
03-05-2010, 07:19 PM
The hand that writes the checks is OK. The sharp tongue is a deterrent.

Apparently. I've just yet to figure out how barring a person is supposed to silence their criticisms. But then again, I'm not a world-class marketer.

paul
03-05-2010, 09:23 PM
Did I read correctly that they have a newly discovered Red Stocking Cigar Radbourne? That makes a grand total of two, right?

calvindog
03-05-2010, 09:30 PM
Look, certain auction houses got caught cheating and instead of taking responsibility for their actions they shot the messengers. Unfortunately, the messengers also spend a lot of money at their auctions.

Btw, how would you like to have been the consignor of the Hal Chase M110 that just ended in Legendary? It was a PSA 3 and it went for $3800. In 2008 and 2007, the same card in SGC 30 went for $7600 and $7050. So Legendary sold the card in a grade higher for half the money. I can guarantee you that had I not been banned I would have bid that PSA 3 card up to 10K (or at least Doug Allen would have run me up to 10K). Think that consignor is happy with his result? Maybe he can ask Doug what happened at the Net 54 dinner at the National this summer (presuming Doug's bellyache heard 'round the world is not a yearly, first week of August occurrence).

Jim VB
03-05-2010, 09:44 PM
Look, certain auction houses got caught cheating and instead of taking responsibility for their actions they shot the messengers. Unfortunately, the messengers also spend a lot of money at their auctions.

Btw, how would you like to have been the consignor of the Hal Chase M110 that just ended in Legendary? It was a PSA 3 and it went for $3800. In 2008 and 2007, the same card in SGC 30 went for $7600 and $7050. So Legendary sold the card in a grade higher for half the money. I can guarantee you that had I not been banned I would have bid that PSA 3 card up to 10K (or at least Doug Allen would have run me up to 10K). Think that consignor is happy with his result? Maybe he can ask Doug what happened at the Net 54 dinner at the National this summer (presuming Doug's bellyache heard 'round the world is not a yearly, first week of August occurrence).

Your post is rife with inaccuracy! Last year, the dinner was in July! (July 30th to be precise.)

barrysloate
03-06-2010, 05:08 AM
Paul- not only is the Radbourne a new find, it's a different year than the previously known Red Stocking Cigar cards.

calvindog
03-06-2010, 06:26 AM
Your post is rife with inaccuracy! Last year, the dinner was in July! (July 30th to be precise.)

I should also point out that both of the prior M110 Chase sales occurred in REA.

bijoem
03-06-2010, 06:33 AM
I should also point out that both of the prior M110 Chase sales occurred in REA.

They had an M110 Chase?
pretty cool.

I didn't even look at the auction.

barrysloate
03-06-2010, 07:07 AM
Joe- they had a complete set of 6.

bijoem
03-06-2010, 07:10 AM
Joe- they had a complete set of 6.

wow - awesome stuff.
(I'm going to check out the site)

maybe I will catch them somewhere else.

3-2-count
03-06-2010, 07:24 AM
I was going back & forth with someone on the M110 Chase auction night. I finally gave in and waved the white flag. Still went for much less than previous examples.
Someone got a great Chase cabinet.

calvindog
03-06-2010, 07:33 AM
Well, these rare, 4-5 figure cards often have a very small bidder pool. You remove one deep-pocketed bidder from the pool who usually gets what he wants in an auction and the floor drops out on a final price. Doug didn't stop the criticism and he cost his consignor 6K. Sounds like a lose-lose proposition to me.

Similarly, I wonder what would happen if guys like Keith Olbermann or Corey Shanus stopped bidding in Legendary auctions? How would you like to be a Legendary consignor of cards or memorabilia which these guys collect and then you learn too late that they are not involved with Legendary anymore? Probably a result very similar to what happened with that M110 Chase: an item finishes at one-third of what it should have done based on recent, prior sales.

Jay Wolt
03-06-2010, 07:45 AM
Jeff - Even if you weren't banned, would you have bid on the Chase?
You certainly don't trust them or like them, so why put more $$$ in their hands?

Jim VB
03-06-2010, 07:50 AM
Jay,

Drive downtown. Ask the first crack addict you see, why he buys from a dealer who shorts him.

Let me know what they say.

:)

calvindog
03-06-2010, 07:51 AM
Jay, there aren't many auction houses I trust so unless you have a cache of high-end Cobbs that you're holding back for me I occasionally have to bid in auctions I think are foul. That being said, in order for me to buy a card from Legendary I'd have to pay significantly less than what I think it was worth at this point in order to prevent them from running me up.

Bill Stone
03-06-2010, 11:09 AM
Well T210 fans this should be fun with both the T210 Jackson and the T210 Casey Stengel coming up.

Doug
03-07-2010, 02:48 PM
Also represented is the classic 1993 Goudey Nap Lajoie, graded EX/NM 80 by SGC (reserve: $5,000, estimate: $10,000/$20,000).

I've never seen a 1993 Goudey Lajoie before! :D

cdn_collector
03-07-2010, 02:56 PM
"...and one of 19th century card collecting’s most intriguing and extreme rarities: an N172 Old Judge California League player – Cornelius Doyle of the San Francisco team of the California League. This is the first California League Old Judge that REA has ever had the opportunity to auction, and has a reserve of $100,000."

I don't claim to know much about Old Judge's, let alone California League players, but $100,000? I had no idea any OJ was in 6-figure territory.

barrysloate
03-07-2010, 03:00 PM
California League cards are either unique, or at most two are known of any player. That card will sell.

cdn_collector
03-07-2010, 03:06 PM
California League cards are either unique, or at most two are known of any player. That card will sell.

Well you learn something new every day. Thanks, Barry, for today's lesson. How many California League cards are in the N172 set?

oldjudge
03-07-2010, 03:26 PM
If a nice Anson in Uniform ever came to market it could go well into six figures, maybe even approach seven figures

Yankeefan51
03-07-2010, 03:35 PM
Clearly, the REA Auctions are the highlight of each year's auction season

The auction contains more ultra rare and high quality items than those which can be found in the catalogs of the next 9 auction houses combined.

For the advanced and elite collector, there is not an auction that comes close
in terms of quality, professionalism and scope of rare material For the consignor, REA reaches all of the world's top collectors; regularly secures
record bids and pays faster than any any auction house in the country.

We are confident that this will be another record setting event for both collectors and consignors. It will serve to further separate REA from the pack of also rans.

Bruce Dorskind
America's Toughest Want List
bdorskind@dorskindgroup.com

barrysloate
03-07-2010, 03:39 PM
Bruce- are you on Rob's Board of Directors?;)

DanP
03-07-2010, 03:47 PM
Sorry, not really related to the REA thread.

Hey Bruce, I know you have a lot of neat stuff.
Do you have a web-site or picture gallery where your collection can be viewed?
I'd love to see it.

Dan

cdn_collector
03-07-2010, 03:53 PM
If a nice Anson in Uniform ever came to market it could go well into six figures, maybe even approach seven figures

oldjudge -- I guess that's consistent. When I read about the $100K reserve, I wondered what an Anson in uni would fetch (assuming it'd be the 'top seller' in the OJ realm). I guess I just didn't realize there was so much money in rare(r) OJs.

barrysloate
03-07-2010, 03:59 PM
I don't know if an Anson in Uniform would reach seven figures, but I would think if one came up for auction it would sell in the 300-500K range.

Of course, with a card like that the value is more about who is bidding than what we may think it is worth.

There are currently four known, three of them locked up in major private collections and the fourth in the Burdick Collection. There could be another but I only know of those four.

Doug
03-07-2010, 04:35 PM
When was the most recent Anson in uniform discovered? Imagine stumbling upon one of those in the old shoebox in the attic! :eek:

rman444
03-07-2010, 04:37 PM
Pop of 4 is surprising to me. I thought there were only 2 known.

For $300-500k I could buy up nearly all of the Ty Cobb cards out there with less than a population of 4 known.

E93
03-07-2010, 05:17 PM
Pop of 4 is surprising to me. I thought there were only 2 known.

For $300-500k I could buy up nearly all of the Ty Cobb cards out there with less than a population of 4 known.

Yes, but you would not have an N172 Anson in uniform. :D

I think part of it is somewhat akin to the T206 Wagner. Anson was widely considered to be the best player in the 19th century and this is a super-tough card from the most widely collected set of the era. Granted, there are not nearly as many people attempting a "complete" set, whatever that might be if it were possible. But nevertheless, it is an iconic 19th century card of an iconic player from the most widely collected set.
JimB

barrysloate
03-07-2010, 05:53 PM
Back in the 80's there was an Anson in Uniform being auctioned off- imagine this- in a classified ad in the back of SCD. No picture, little description, but I did send away for photographs which I still have. I really didn't know much about the card but I placed a bid of $1200 on it, a lot of money at the time. It ended up selling for $1250.

It now belongs to one of our board members. I never owned it, but I did have the opportunity to broker it to the current owner.