PDA

View Full Version : Am I just so out of touch with card prices?

Howe’s Hunter
03-05-2010, 11:47 AM
I know there has been a lot of discussion about inflated BIN prices on certain websites. But as I was doing my daily lunch search, I saw a card listed with what I thought seemed a high BIN for a PSA 6. I wasn't interested in the card, and I try to avoid graded cards at any time, but was just curious about value, so I visited MLB Vintage just to compare (I know it is impossible to keep the prices up to date on the site, so I usually figure add 10-20%, and you should be there). The BIN is $5 short of 10 times the cost listed! Do graded cards really carry that much more value, or is this guy just nuts?

glynparson
03-05-2010, 11:51 AM
Graded cards sell at a price on a card by card basis there is no formula like a 6 is x% more or less than book. What is the card you are reffering to. Also contrary to most popular beliefs grading does not always add value or make a card cost more. In fact cards with tremendous eye appeal and a technical low grade can often sell for more raw then graded.

usernamealreadytaken
03-05-2010, 11:52 AM
Sellers are nuts. I am always disappointed to see a real nice card but with a way out of the park price. Often sellers will find the highest the card ever sold for ever and add 10-20%. I have seen some BIN's on ebay for YEARS!!!!

pgellis
03-05-2010, 11:59 AM
You're not out of touch..........the dealers with the crazy BINs are the ones out of touch.

I think eBay has forgotten about what "got them there". I really feel that the huge percentage of BINs vs. Auctions is so that the company (eBay) looks better to Wall Street and Investors. It seems to be more critical that they have x number of "current listings" as opposed to x amount of revenue generated from sales on the site. It's all corporate now (and has been for a while).

T206Collector
03-05-2010, 12:10 PM
This is what they do:

(1) Seller lists card at high BIN

(2) This encourages bidders to make email offers at lower than BIN

(3) Seller sells item offline for negotiated price and saves ebay listing/final value fees

pgellis
03-05-2010, 12:12 PM
This is what they do:

(1) Seller lists card at high BIN

(2) This encourages bidders to make email offers at lower than BIN

(3) Seller sells item offline for negotiated price and saves ebay listing/final value fees

I agree with that, but why does eBay make it so easy for them to do that? They don't charge that much for BIN listings and let them keep them up forever for very little money. You would think eBay would discourage these BINs and get back to auctions so that they can capture that revenue of the % of the sale.

I again say it is because they "look better" by having so many "current listings".

FUBAR
03-05-2010, 01:01 PM
I see it all the time, especially with the nutjobs on the Vancouver craigslist. The have early 90's cards and think they are worth 50$ per card because they "are old" . Usually when you tell them their cards have a guide value around .05 cents , they tell you to f-off... makes me laugh!

mintacular
03-05-2010, 01:57 PM
Sometimes I would have a card listed at a higher BIN with the expectation that if it didn't sell after a couple months I would "slash" the price via the Markdown Manager option to a "moveable" price...

HRBAKER
03-05-2010, 02:49 PM
The "Auctions Only" tab is the most useful thing ebay ever did, not that that is saying much. The Buy It Now tab is sorta like the Smithsonian Museum of listings. I would add that I completely agree that a seller can and should list a card for whatever price they want to. Thank goodness most buyers are not complete impulsive idiots but it only takes one.

Howe’s Hunter
03-05-2010, 03:02 PM
this is the auction that caught my attention. If it is out of line to post a current auction, moderator guys, please delete. Thanks.

http://tinyurl.com/yctbspj

Jim VB
03-05-2010, 03:20 PM
this is the auction that caught my attention. If it is out of line to post a current auction, moderator guys, please delete. Thanks.

http://tinyurl.com/yctbspj

Ed,

Here's his list of "closed" auctions for the last 15 days. (Notice, this business plan has had some success as he actually did sell one card! That Mays is a $1000 card and it shows he sold it for $2495.)

Also notice that the Oakes cards didn't sell for $995 when it ended on 03/03, so he obviously "reduced it" to $1195!

http://completed.shop.ebay.com/wheretheyaint/m.html?LH_Complete=1&_ipg=50&_since=15&_sop=12&_rdc=1&_rdc=2

Pup6913
03-05-2010, 04:06 PM
This guy sent me a bunch of scans of grade 4 and 5 T205's with Cycle and AB backs. I wanted them all so I sent him a Very fair price and he said he would have to pass because they were valued at 3 times what I offered. Needless to say I was about 10% higher than Market at ther time so...........:eek: He still has them and from the looks of it has most of everything he owns still:D

glynparson
03-05-2010, 04:54 PM
The last 4 VCP sales of this card in a PSA 6 WERE in order from most recent: $237.50, $213.50, $240.50, $401.97 . :rolleyes:

HRBAKER
03-05-2010, 05:14 PM
Andrew,
When you see cards priced like that the seller obviously doesn't care whether it sells or not. I find trying to deal with most of these type sellers to be a total waste of time. Particularly for cards like t206 where if you wait long enough you'll find what you want fairly priced.

sando69
03-05-2010, 05:37 PM
before anyone else places a bid or an offer with this seller, they need to do a net54 "search" on them...
the results may, or may not surprise you!

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=92311&highlight=wheretheyaint

FUBAR
03-05-2010, 06:50 PM
after reading that old thread, i think i have come up with an idea for those two.... have the guy who owns the stool, sell it to them... send instructions with it to turn it upside down, then they have a seat for themselves and two of their customers who are about to be screwed and need a little pre-stool foreplay for the major screwing they are about to get!

Id provide a scan of what i mean, but they would probably try to tell my idea...

Peter_Spaeth
03-05-2010, 09:48 PM
The business model is to wait for someone ignorant to come along and pay double what the card is worth. For example,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140378454740

Jim VB
03-05-2010, 09:50 PM
But Peter, that card is "goergeous" (sic)!

HRBAKER
03-05-2010, 10:01 PM
The business model is to wait for someone ignorant to come along and pay double what the card is worth. For example,

But Peter the price has been Reduced!

JP
03-05-2010, 10:12 PM
The business model is to wait for someone ignorant to come along and pay double what the card is worth.

*Throat clears* Levi Bleam

FUBAR
03-05-2010, 10:12 PM
im still sticking with my stool suggestion!

jbbama
03-08-2010, 11:09 AM
The "Auctions Only" tab is the most useful thing ebay ever did, not that that is saying much. The Buy It Now tab is sorta like the Smithsonian Museum of listings. I would add that I completely agree that a seller can and should list a card for whatever price they want to. Thank goodness most buyers are not complete impulsive idiots but it only takes one.

Agreed about the auction tab, way , way to many ridiculous BIN's.

joe_44850
03-09-2010, 05:04 AM
I just made an offer of 25 dollars hehe

FUBAR
03-09-2010, 12:13 PM
I should go offer 26$

calvindog
03-09-2010, 12:21 PM

I don't believe that sales like this actually occur the majority of the time. We've learned from more significant crooks that a sale is often recorded at an inflated price just to set the victim up when the same card is offered for sale at a later date -- with the fake sale available to act as a fraudulent guide to value. This sort of fraud happens all the time and is not much different than straight shill bidding. Maybe Doug Allen can discuss the impact of such fraud at the Net 54 dinner.

Peter_Spaeth
03-09-2010, 12:28 PM
I think it's a real sale. There is a long distinguished history of guys who start buying everything in sight with very little regard to price, for whatever reason. The buyer seems to fit that category judging by his feedback.

slidekellyslide
03-09-2010, 12:46 PM
I don't believe that sales like this actually occur the majority of the time. We've learned from more significant crooks that a sale is often recorded at an inflated price just to set the victim up when the same card is offered for sale at a later date -- with the fake sale available to act as a fraudulent guide to value. This sort of fraud happens all the time and is not much different than straight shill bidding. Maybe Doug Allen can discuss the impact of such fraud at the Net 54 dinner.

Isn't that how the T210 Jackson exploded in price? Wasn't there some ebay shenanigans with this card a few years back?? I wish I could find the old thread.