PDA

View Full Version : SGC Cert Verifications

Bridwell
03-04-2010, 09:52 PM
I like doing Cert Verifications on PSA cards I buy. Does SGC have a way where I can verify on their site?

Do other collectors do Cert Verifications?

Ron R

Jantz
03-04-2010, 10:22 PM
Ron

As far as I know, SGC doesn't have a function yet to check cert. numbers.

I check from time-to-time with PSA cert. numbers. Not as much as in the past though since I tend to buy more SGC graded cards than PSA. This has nothing to do with preferrence, it just seems to be what the sellers I buy from have on hand.

Hope this helps

Jantz

CardTarget
03-05-2010, 05:41 AM
Yes, this is a glaring hole in the SGC company profile.

They need an online cert verification....

glynparson
03-05-2010, 07:27 AM
I believe they don't have one because the SGC cert # is the invoice number along with the card number from the invoice . Therefore they feel many collector's do not want people to know what they are submitting so there is the whole issue of customer privacy. Cert #'s at PSA seem to be much more random so you can have successive psa numbers and they are not always from the same invoice. Usually they are but not always. You can call Brian or Mike with the cert # and if you tell them what the card in your hand is they will verify for you if this is indeed the correct card and grade.

botn
03-05-2010, 12:24 PM
Pretty sure that PSA assigns successive cert numbers within a submission. So it is easy to see what is contained within a PSA submission.

glynparson
03-05-2010, 01:14 PM
Pretty sure that PSA assigns successive cert numbers within a submission. So it is easy to see what is contained within a PSA submission.

However one invoice can run into another invoice IE 163998813 could be the last card on an invoice and 16399814 could be the first card from another invoice. With SGC its the invoice number followed by a hyphen followed by the cards line number on the invoice. So you can often extrapolate an invoice off of PSA numbers but it is not neccessarily the same invoice from the same individual. Also I have had on 1 or 2 rare occasions a card come back with a non sequential cert number. This happenend 2 times many years ago.

botn
03-05-2010, 02:02 PM
With PSA you can usually tell when an invoice starts and when it ends by running the cert verification. Don't feel it provides more protection (nor do I think it should) than were to SGC offer a verification to the public which would result in viewers being to see the composition of an invoice if they wanted to take the time. I don't understand why that information should be guarded. Is it a violation of someone's privacy?

However one invoice can run into another invoice IE 163998813 could be the last card on an invoice and 16399814 could be the first card from another invoice.