PDA

View Full Version : T 205 Set Price

mintacular
03-04-2010, 09:02 AM
Hi, just embarked on building my first tobacco set T-205 and want to figure out how much I will need to put into this. How much will it cost approx. for...

1. Basic Set (210)
2. Basic Set minus HOFers (180?)
3. Pirates Team Set (14) w/Clarke HOF

I will be looking for cards Fair thru VG in SGC or PSA. I will not be looking for any rare backs or variations. Thanks in advance for helping me--just looking for some ball park estimates and figured experieced collectors could toss some #'s out there w/ease.

ErikV
03-04-2010, 09:55 AM
Not sure how accurate this price would be in today's market, or
if it's exactly what your looking for, but I was able to find this.
Please keep in mind it's only a partial graded set and it's from 2008.
Good luck with your quest, if you should pursue it!

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=82545

ErikV

Pup6913
03-04-2010, 02:32 PM
Pat expect to spend about $25k if you sprint and maybe a bit more if you drag it out over time due to market fluctuations. Have fun.

Harford20
03-04-2010, 02:58 PM
This is not exactly what you are asking, but the cost of just the T205 HOF's in mainly a PSA/SGC grade 2-3, with grade 2 (or even a 1.5) on the big 4 (Cobb, Matty, Young, Johnson) has the total cost around $4000-4500. If you subtract that off a few of the other "complete set" prices, you may have the Set minus HOF price.:eek:

Clark7781
03-04-2010, 05:52 PM
Pat:

I'm after the same set. According to my research, there are 222 known different cards in this set, and a number of the high dollar are errors, etc.

Right now I have 63 cards, or 28.38% of the total known cards. I probably won't get all of the various errors of each player, but I will try. I'm figuring that I won't get the Kaiser Wilhelm "error" on the back, Bobby Wallace 1 line of stats, Christy Mathewson incorrect Cycle Back stats, and Dick Hoblitzell no stat back (RARE!). I will strive for the others.

I am not a prude for condition of cards; I am happy with representatives of each card.

Enjoy the hunt! I am hoping I can get the set without the mentioned rarities for about $10K; I am in no hurry!

mintacular
03-04-2010, 07:52 PM
For your PMs and responses here. After realizing how much this would run me I think I"m just going to build the Pirates Team Set of T205...Every week or so I find some new pre-war issue that interests me and so why not pick up a few of each?

So there are (14) Pirates and I'm going to try to get them all minus the variation for $500 in SGC 2/3. including the Clarke HOF.

asoriano
03-04-2010, 08:20 PM
Hi Pat,

Good luck with your Pittsburgh team set.

The toughest card to obtain will probably be the Kirb White. Have patience with that SP.

Tcards-Please
03-05-2010, 02:27 AM
Pat,

Good luck with your team set, as Turner said, the Kirb White will be the toughest of the team to acquire, but you shouldn't have problems finding him. The T205's are truly one of the best looking tobacco sets out there. I have been collecting this set for just a little over a year and have about 50% complete.

Enjoy.

r/
Frank

tonyo
03-05-2010, 06:53 AM
Pat,

Last summer I collected 17 NY Giants from this set - probably 1 grade lower than what you are looking for. Spent $400. Included one example of each player that played in the 1911 series.

While I was at it, I picked up the 12 NL hall of famers from the set and spent $600.

Tony