PDA

View Full Version : Looking for honest opinions on Legendary's T-206 Eddie Plank

JP
03-02-2010, 10:39 PM
I won the Eddie Plank in tonight's Legendary Auction, and I was hoping for a bit of feedback from the most educated vintage card guys in the hobby.....Net54.

First of all, I don't want this thread to be about Legendary/Mastro and any past Mastro indiscretions or future potential Legendary indiscretions. I know many people won't agree with me, and feel the company is the same as it ever was, but I am the kind of guy that likes to give second chances and/or the benefit of the doubt. So please, if possible, let's keep the anti-Legendary posts in the appropriate thread....which means elsewhere.

That being said, my question is about alterations and restoration. I feel like I got a hell of a deal buying this card at $18K. Does anyone think it is possible to hire out a restorer for a few grand to return this card to its previous "Very Good" condition? A PSA 3 Plank is worth around $75K, so any restoration that could guarantee a straight grade of any sort from PSA seems like it would be worthwhile. I was going to inquire to Joe Orlando if he could recommend somebody that could guarantee a complete restoration...

Thoughts?

frankb22
03-02-2010, 11:04 PM
I think an A-Authentic is the best you can get once it's been altered.

With that said I think it's good looking card and would prefer an 18K
card like that vs a grade 1 costing double.

calvindog
03-02-2010, 11:05 PM
Sounds like a pretty good business plan to me. I wish I had thought of it first. :(

PS -- let us know what Joe O had to say about your plan.

JP
03-02-2010, 11:10 PM
Will do....

EDIT: Posted an edit because I wished to know whether the 150 back with the 30 factory had been confirmed yet, but I see that it has many times, including the Harris Collection version.

teetwoohsix
03-02-2010, 11:24 PM
I just wanted to say congrats-I hope to one day own a Plank T206 myself.I would also echo what frankb22 said-I think any alteration by a professional would render the card an "A"-authentic.Unless the graders were unaware of the restoration.But that's a high profile card,so I'm sure it would be reviewed under lots of scrutiny.
That being said-you are a lucky man!!!Congrats on the awesome pick-up!!!

Sincerely,Clayton

JP
03-02-2010, 11:30 PM
Thanks Clayton, this is definitely a big moment for me. It has been many years since I've owned a Plank, and while my previous one had a grade, this one is the best looking by far.

Now re: the alteration and removal, wasn't there an altered Wagner that was restored to its original form sold on Mastro or one of the other big auctions recently?

teetwoohsix
03-02-2010, 11:34 PM
Yeah,but I think even after they took the altered card,and restored it back to the original,it still came back graded "A"-authentic.

JP
03-02-2010, 11:38 PM
You appear to be correct... http://www.t206museum.com/page/periodical_95.html. Are there any other examples? If I can't restore it back to anything than what it already is "Authentic" then I think I'll keep it in it's beautiful PSA 8 appearance. May be the best looking Plank there is....all siliconed up!

Leon
03-02-2010, 11:40 PM
Now re: the alteration and removal, wasn't there an altered Wagner that was restored to its original form sold on Mastro or one of the other big auctions recently?

It was the card next to the one you won.

I think, but could be wrong, if all of the restoration was undone and not noticable, then it would/could get a grade. I think it would be a long shot. Of course some alterations probably can't be undone no matter what. Altered cards in correct holders have come a long way. If it were mine I would probably leave it alone. It's yours so do what makes you happy, have fun and enjoy it. Congrats.

JP
03-02-2010, 11:48 PM
Leon, no the card next to the one I won was an ALTERED version....here (http://www.legendaryauctions.com/LotImages/66/106575a_lg.jpeg)

The one that we're referring to was a RESTORED one, in other words the alteration was completely undone. You can find that here (http://www.t206museum.com/page/periodical_95.html) with a video about the altering being undone here (http://www.legendaryauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=98847).

And the problem is, in the video Doug Allen even says that all of the restoration was completely reversed, and yet it still graded Authentic RESTORED instead of PSA 2 or whatever....

EDIT: Found that the listing says that all of the restoration couldn't be undone...the Wagner had some irreversible inpainting done....

drc
03-02-2010, 11:54 PM
As a strictly financial opinion, I think you got a good deal on the card. I would have expected the card in its current state to sell for more.

JP
03-03-2010, 12:01 AM
As a strictly financial opinion, I think you got a good deal on the card. I would have expected the card in its current state to sell for more.

Thanks! So did I frankly and I expected this lot to close in the middle of the night, but maybe the negative stigma helped me get a great deal. I have complete faith in Legendary until I am shown otherwise, and maybe this card can be flipped on the near future for a nice profit, but I'll probably talk myself out of that!

Upon further reading of the current Wagner, still labeled "Altered" even though the restoration was undone....I find that the restoration may not have been completely reversible as the listing does say:

"Under close examination, this Wagner still shows vestiges of inpainting, particularly in the area of a single heavy crease that lies in the top-right quadrant of the illustration’s orange background."

I'm guess since they couldn't reverse the inpainting, it has to stay "authentic" instead of getting a grade, which means my Plank is likely to stay "Authentic" no matter what. If that's the case, he's going to stay the way he is.

drc
03-03-2010, 12:22 AM
I would leave it in its current good looking state. No matter what is done to it, I think it will always be considered altered, and it might seem odd to some to have a card restored to make it look worse. I think it is in its best state and I would expect it to resell for more in the future.

FUBAR
03-03-2010, 12:26 AM
Leave it, and Congrats... an amazing card im sure we are all envious of!

Rickyy
03-03-2010, 12:41 AM
I concur with the others. If I won it I'd leave it as is. Even in its "Authentic/Altered" state, its a beautiful looking card. If you are planning to sell it at some point down the line, I think you will come out ahead because I think you got it at a really good price. Congrats!

ethicsprof
03-03-2010, 01:35 AM
Congrats on the acquisition!!!
Obviously, once altered it remains altered in perpetuity no matter how much effort is exerted to bring it back to its 'original state'.
just altered and altered and altered ad infinitum.

as the folks say, be happy and don't fret over these impossibilities.

all the best,
barry

JP
03-03-2010, 03:30 AM
I appreciate the feedback, everyone. I will be leaving my "new and improved" Plank in its current condition. It was also remain in my possession unless I am offered something irresistible -- a mid to high grade Demmitt or a high grade Cobb. If you've got either, hit me up!

barrysloate
03-03-2010, 04:53 AM
JP-congrats on the Plank, it has great eye appeal and does seem like a good deal. But I can't help but note something very funny about your original post:

You were going to ask Joe Orlando to recommend a good restorer? Shouldn't grading services and paper restorers kind of be natural enemies? Isn't it a grading service's worst nightmare that a paper restorer will do such a good job altering a card that the graders will not be able to detect it?

It's sort of like asking a mouse to recommend a good cat.

Rob D.
03-03-2010, 05:47 AM
Congrats on the acquisition!!!
Obviously, once altered it remains altered in perpetuity no matter how much effort is exerted to bring it back to its 'original state'.
just altered and altered and altered ad infinitum.

Hi Barry,

Though I agree with this sentiment (and my guess is a lot of other collectors do, too), the grading companies -- whether knowingly or unknowingly -- have a different take. Cards that have been altered and then have the alteration(s) completely removed definitely can receive numerical grades. Again, whether the grading companies assign the number knowing about the previous handiwork that was undone is an interesting question.

JP
03-03-2010, 05:50 AM
That's true, Barry, but in a sense, it's also like asking a mouse which cat is the one he has to be most afraid of. I'm sure a mouse has more insight as to which cat to watch out for than a cockroach does.

I'm sure some REALLY high dollar cards have been sent into PSA that have been altered, and I'm sure that execs, possibly Joe included, have had to have tough conversations with some of these submitters to let them know their card has been rejected. The alterers may be considered by some to be bad guys, while at the same time the restorers may be something akin to historical preservationists. And it would surprise me greatly if Joe hasn't been asked a thousand times about who a card could be sent to in order to completely reverse an alteration. I'm sure that some of these therefore restored cards have been sent back to PSA and have been successfully graded. Who else would I have considered asking, because in the end PSA would have the final decision?

But the point is moot - the card seems to be irreversibly altered, and so I will just enjoy its enhanced facade and take it for what it's worth.

Exhibitman
03-03-2010, 06:39 AM
Congrats, it is a very nice looking card and seems to have sold low. Whether that is overall economy, Legendary's rep, or something else I don't know, but I did think when I was going through the catalog that it was a really nice looking card. FWIW, I'd just leave it alone and enjoy it. I do have a very nice mint Cobb that I'd trade for it--of course, it is a 1976 Topps All Time All Star. Any interest? :D

FUBAR
03-03-2010, 07:14 AM
maybe you can trade JP for his talking mouse he keeps referring to ;o)

Leon
03-03-2010, 07:32 AM
Leon, no the card next to the one I won was an ALTERED version....here (http://www.legendaryauctions.com/LotImages/66/106575a_lg.jpeg)

Sorry about that. I got "altered" and "restored" mixed up. Flashback from Apocolypse Now hindered my thinking.

JP
03-03-2010, 07:43 AM
Sorry about that. I got "altered" and "restored" mixed up. Flashback from Apocolypse Now hindered my thinking.

I keep getting it mixed up in my head, too. In reality, the first guy that "alters" it is trying to restore it to its original condition, so the terminology isn't very cut and dry...

JP
03-03-2010, 07:43 AM
I do have a very nice mint Cobb that I'd trade for it--of course, it is a 1976 Topps All Time All Star. Any interest? :D

Deal.

EDIT: No deal!

T206Collector
03-03-2010, 07:48 AM
I think that's about the right price for that card, given the market for "Authentic" Planks -- and represents nearly a $3,000 increase since what is probably the same card sold in Mastro's April 2007 auction, click this link:

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=73368

Coincidentally, in the same April 2007 auction I purchased Lionel Carter's beater Plank, for just a hair over the price of your restored Plank. So, I think that Plank collectors are just about evenly split on whether they'd rather have a beauty restored or a beater original.

If you tried to restore it you would have to remove at least some of the blue from the background, which would put you into SGC 30 value at best. And there is a meaningful probability of an SGC 10 or 20. As a result, I would recommend just leaving it alone and consider it in value as about what the market would value an SGC 10.

Most of all -- enjoy the card!!

Jim VB
03-03-2010, 07:48 AM
Deal.

JP,

Edit and add a smiley face. Quick. You should never joke with an attorney while witnesses are present. The way I see it, you just made an agreement to trade with Adam.

Doug
03-03-2010, 07:52 AM
Here's a comic book restoration company that offers removal. I'm not sure if he works on items besides comics, but you might want to contact him if it's something you are considering: http://www.classicsincorporated.com/services_removal.htm

Orioles1954
03-03-2010, 07:56 AM
In our May 2009 sale, a T206 Plank SGC Authentic sold for $27,500 before juice.

James

JP
03-03-2010, 07:57 AM
JP,

Edit and add a smiley face. Quick. You should never joke with an attorney while witnesses are present. The way I see it, you just made an agreement to trade with Adam.

"Deal" was in response to the question "Any interest?" That basically meant that while I don't have a "great deal" of interest, I do still have a "deal" of interest. :D

JP
03-03-2010, 07:59 AM
In our May 2009 sale, a T206 Plank SGC Authentic sold for $27,500 before juice.

Deal! Who is "our" referring to? Pardon my ignorance.

scottglevy
03-03-2010, 08:25 AM
Nice pickup JP,

If the card was not in a legendary auction I think it would have received much more interest (and higher pricing).

T206Collector
03-03-2010, 08:29 AM
Deal! Who is "our" referring to? Pardon my ignorance.

Here you go:

http://may09.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-bin/showitem.pl?itemid=12192

JP
03-03-2010, 08:40 AM
Nice pickup JP,

If the card was not in a legendary auction I think it would have received much more interest (and higher pricing).

Scott, weird that I was talking to you the other day about someday reacquiring a Plank...never expected it to be this one. While it isn't the grade I wanted, it looks better than any one I could ever afford... :rolleyes:

JP
03-03-2010, 08:41 AM
Here you go:

http://may09.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-bin/showitem.pl?itemid=12192

Is it too late to consign for the May 2009 auction? ;););)

Jacklitsch
03-03-2010, 09:22 AM
Love the card!!

Great deal!!

Leave it alone!!

ethicsprof
03-03-2010, 11:50 AM
Hi Rob D,
Point well taken.
I guess I still pick ole Aristotle for my ethics sources over grading companies,as i'm sure you do too!!!
Granted it's tough to find his comments on altered T206s. :)

all the best,
barry

Kawika
03-03-2010, 12:00 PM
Granted it's tough to find his comments on altered T206s.

Το τέρας που θέλει να εγκαταλείψει. Μην το ακούσει.
-Aristotle, 364 B.C.

Jim VB
03-03-2010, 12:04 PM
Το τέρας που θέλει να εγκαταλείψει. Μην το ακούσει.
-Aristotle, 364 B.C.

LOL! Damn I wish I knew how to type in Greek!

Jacklitsch
03-03-2010, 12:17 PM
LOL! Damn I wish I knew how to type in Greek!

Its easy. Just need a greek typewriter.

Ναι, σκότωσε 7 άνδρες στην Florida. Ναι, ήταν πόρνη. Ναι, μετά από παγίδα που της έστησε η λεσβία πρώην ερωμένη της, μαζί με την αστυνομία, έδωσε μια συγκλονιστική, λεπτομερή ομολογία και κατά τη διάρκεια της δίκης της υιοθετήθηκε νόμιμα από μια καλοπροαίρετη γυναίκα που ισχυρίστηκε πως έλαβε εντολή από τον Θεό. Είχε πολλές περίφημες και βλάσφημες εκρήξεις σε παραπάνω από μία αίθουσες δικαστηρίου και μετά από τις 6 θανατικές της καταδίκες περίμενε τη σειρά της στην πτέρυγα μελλοθανάτων περισσότερο από κάθε άλλον που βρισκόταν εκεί. Ναι, όλα αυτά είναι αλήθεια. Είναι σημαντικό, ωστόσο, να αποβληθούν κάποια στοιχεία γύρω από την υπερβολή που περιβάλλει την υπόθεση της Aileen. Ας πάρουμε όμως τα πράγματα από την αρχή.

barrysloate
03-03-2010, 12:22 PM
It's Greek to me.

E93
03-03-2010, 12:27 PM
First, I think it is a great card and you got a great deal.

I may be in a minority willing to voice this opinion, but if the only alterations made to the card were rebuilt corners added on and very minor in-painting, I don't have a problem with removing what was not supposed to be there in the first place. I don't know if this would result in the card getting a numerical grade from PSA or SGC, but to my mind, it would be restoring it to its naturally worn state. If creases or wrinkles have been pressed out - and we have no way of knowing - that is a different issue.
JimB

Kawika
03-03-2010, 12:28 PM
Wow! From Gettysburg Eddie to Aileen Wuornos via Aristotle. A new Net54 record for going off the rails.
PS. Thanks, Jim B. for getting it back on track.

Jacklitsch
03-03-2010, 01:13 PM
Wow! From Gettysburg Eddie to Aileen Wuornos via Aristotle. A new Net54 record for going off the rails.
PS. Thanks, Jim B. for getting it back on track.

:D

And for you JP, again, I love the card.

T206.org
03-03-2010, 02:56 PM
Mighty fine card and deal, Sir! :eek:
I would love to own it at that price. It really looks amazing.

JP
03-03-2010, 09:09 PM
Mighty fine card and deal, Sir! :eek:
I would love to own it at that price. It really looks amazing.

Thank you, much appreciated! My ultimate goal is to trade it for other high-end T-206s even before I get it in hand.....I seem to change my collection goals faster than anybody....or maybe it just seems that way.

T206Collector
03-04-2010, 07:37 AM
Thank you, much appreciated! My ultimate goal is to trade it for other high-end T-206s even before I get it in hand.....I seem to change my collection goals faster than anybody....or maybe it just seems that way.

Just curious -- are you motivated to flip the card by not being able to return it to its original form, have it grade a 3 and then sell it for huge profits? In other words, were you speculating when you made the purchase?

Not that there's anything wrong with that. But I am curious about these kinds of cards. I spent a lot of time thinking about which Plank to bid on in April 2007 and I decided to go with Lionel Carter's beater. My feeling at the time was that the "FrankenPlank" (as it was called by Wonkaticket at the time) would have its price inflated by two potential buyers -- those who were going to try to pass it off down the road as a PSA 7 and those were were going to try to unrestore the restoration. My view, which is supported by its return to a Mastro auction this spring and your current intent to flip it, is that there are fewer collectors that are willing to add this Plank to their collection and keep it long term in its current state given the restoration job. Maybe the SGC Authentic Plank sold for more than the PSA Authentic Plank because the PSA collectors wanted to try to get it into a PSA holder.

In any event, I spent like a month debating this 3 years ago, and I enjoy the dialogue.

barrysloate
03-04-2010, 07:41 AM
JP- do you think you will be able to get enough in trade to justify the purchase? Someone is really going to have to step to the plate to make that worthwhile for you.

Jim VB
03-04-2010, 09:11 AM

JP,

You took great offense last week when another poster mentioned some deals you had done and "flipping" in the same sentence. Does this statement by you indicate that you do intend to flip this card? (As said previously, not that there's anything wrong with that...)

Flipping on a fairly high profile card is always dicey, especially when it come from one of the big auction houses. Vitrually everyone in the hobby saw this auction, and on the day it closed, you were the one person willing to pay the most for it. Why would you think that now, "before I get it in hand", it would be worth more to someone else?

Not sure I understand the logical thought process behind that.

JP
03-04-2010, 09:19 AM
T206collector, Barry, Jim:

Apparently the joke I made was misconstrued, or completely missed. I have no intention of moving this card. The desire to restore it to a more valuable version I thought made financial sense, but alas seems impossible. And my comment about trading it for a Demmit or high grade Cobb was mostly a joke. A high grade Cobb is worth far more, and one of the top 3 Demmitts is my main collecting goal. Since neither one is realy attainable, it was a joke that I think only I got. As far as trading it before it got in my hands, that was a subtle reference to the previous "flip that wasn't a flip" that I did on eBay. Plank is sticking with me unless a once in a lifetime opportunity arises.

Leon
03-04-2010, 09:28 AM
T206collector, Barry, Jim:

Apparently the joke I made was misconstrued, or completely missed. I have no intention of moving this card. The desire to restore it to a more valuable version I thought made financial sense, but alas seems impossible. And my comment about trading it for a Demmit or high grade Cobb was mostly a joke. A high grade Cobb is worth far more, and one of the top 3 Demmitts is my main collecting goal. Since neither one is realy attainable, it was a joke that I think only I got. As far as trading it before it got in my hands, that was a subtle reference to the previous "flip that wasn't a flip" that I did on eBay. Plank is sticking with me unless a once in a lifetime opportunity arises.

JP- first of all it is a very cool card just the way it is, with full disclosure and being in an AUT holder. Also, you don't owe anyone, including me, an explanation but it's always nice to hear thoughts on strategies for collecting, flipping, trading etc. All of that being said even this last statement you gave kind of goes in about 5 different directions. I might politely suggest a tad bit more focus to enhance your collecting enjoyment. Historically the folks that are the least focused (read - all over the place with high end cards etc...) tend to crash and burn the quickest. This is just an observation and certainly might not be the way you are going. Good luck with whatever you decide and thanks for participating and sharing on the board. All collecting is good collecting in my eyes!!

barrysloate
03-04-2010, 09:35 AM
For better or worse, JP has found himself in the middle of some board controversies lately. I completely missed the humor in his post but as we've discussed previously, you often can't pick up tone, and sometimes even sarcasm, on a written post. So many flip comments go over people's heads.

Leon- that was my 1800th post...you better watch your back!

JP
03-04-2010, 09:46 AM
I understand I don't owe anyone an explanation of my thoughts or strategies, but at thesame time, I don't mind giving them! To be perfectly frank, I have been saving up recently to make a run at the Plank PSA 3 that heritage has in their upcoming. Sort of on a whim I made a lowball bid on the AUTH and was very surprised when I won (still am). My first thought was that maybe I could restore it to a PSA 3 and have what I want at a third of the price. Knowing that's not likely, I can say that I'm quite glad to own such a beautiful specimen, whether or not it is 100% original. Famous paintings are often restored without anyone batting an eye, so I have no problem enjoying this piece of history I just bought. When I was 11 years old, I bought some raw t-206s at a card show in Redding, CA. I still have most of them, almost 25 years later, including a Demmitt St. Louis that was in the group. It looks like a dog ate it and pooped it out, but I love it. My ultimate goal is to get one of the best Demmitts to put by it's side. Recently I bought a couple of Demmitts to give to my kids to get them started (still looking for one more). So while I love this Plank, and several other huge cards I've owned in the past, they will always play second fiddle to my true love.

If anyone out there has any info on how I can get a PSA 6, 7, or 8 Demmitt, you'd be helping me complete my collecting journey. I keep asking, but so far no leads.

JP
03-04-2010, 09:50 AM
So many flip comments go over people's heads.

"Flip" comments = a brilliant unintentional pun?

T206Collector
03-04-2010, 09:51 AM
...what you do with the Plank, but I thank you for sharing your purchasing/trade/use strategies with us. This is the kind of dialogue that makes this board so enjoyable because we all think about these issues to some degree, and so these comments help enhance our own enjoyment of our own cards and collections.

You're of course free to flip the card, or flip-flop in your intentions with respect to the card, at your leisure. I do agree with Leon, however, that a lack of collecting focus is usually followed by apathy and then sale.

If and when you do part with it, I'm sure we would all be curious to hear about what you have decided to do with it.

barrysloate
03-04-2010, 10:24 AM
JP- honestly, didn't even think about it, but "flip" was a well chosen word.:)

T206Collector
03-04-2010, 12:56 PM
If anyone out there has any info on how I can get a PSA 6, 7, or 8 Demmitt, you'd be helping me complete my collecting journey. I keep asking, but so far no leads.

You already know this, but Demmitt's only come with Polar Bear backs, which means they resided alongside scrap tobacco and will exhibit staining and tobacco impressions. I wonder how many PSA 6, 7 or 8 Polar Bear graded cards of any player are in existence. Unfortunately, I have owned some bright clean Polar Bear cards that have been rejected by SGC as a result of bleaching. So I would be quite wary of any high grade Demmitt if it didn't have the usual staining -- which, of course, would keep it from being high grade.

ChiefBenderForever
03-04-2010, 01:14 PM
The card is very nice. I have often thought about the restoration of paintings as opposed to cards and why there is such a difference, and I guess it is because paintings are truly one of a kind as opposed to something printed by machine. No matter how you look at it, your Plank is real, and probably one of the nicest on the planet. It was probably really nice to start with to look that good, it just has the stigma of being labeled 'authentic'.

T206Collector
03-04-2010, 04:57 PM
[I]t is because paintings are truly one of a kind as opposed to something printed by machine.

That's exactly the case. Boil it down to 2 known examples of a particular pre-war card -- one beater that is original in all respects and one super minty but restored. Which one would you rather have? I suspect you'll get a lot that would take either, but I think there are a few more purists in vintage collecting that would prefer the beater, but I am biased in this case. :)

JP
03-04-2010, 06:13 PM
T206collector, as the Demmitt St. Louis has been a focus of my collection for a quarter century, I'm well aware of the partiulars concerning Polar Bear scrap tobacco and its packaging. But I am part of the camp that believes some Polar Bear tobacco products contained more than 1 card, so conceivably a Demmitt could be protected on both sides and be essentially stain free. I have seen a couple that have been pure white on both sides, just in bad shape, so high grade ones do exist without stain.

Wesley
03-05-2010, 11:40 AM
There are three Demmitt St. Louis cards in the upcoming REA auction. Perhaps you can ask Rob whether any of them are the high grades you are looking for.

JP
03-07-2010, 06:59 AM
They mentioned that an O'hara was a 5, so I doubt that any of the Demmitts are 6 or higher or they would've mentioned it....so I'm not too interested.

MVSNYC
03-07-2010, 08:49 AM
a few comments...

regarding high-grade Polar Bears, i used to own a PSA 8 and a PSA 7, so they are out there, obviously very rare, but they exist.

regarding your plank, congrats, it is a stunning card. i would just leave it alone, enjoy owning it for awhile, then down the road, if a great offer/deal presents itself, take advantage of it.

don't screw with it, the card will probably look like a dog if the restoration is reversed. PLUS even if you spend the money to have it reversed, there is NO guarantee that it will grade numerically. big risk.

Best-
MS

Bicem
03-07-2010, 09:55 AM
What about a PSA 4 Demmit that looks nicer than most 6's?

JP
03-07-2010, 10:50 AM
MVSNYC: Yeah, I've decided to leave it alone. If the right offer comes along, so be it, but until then, I'm holding. Can't wait to see it in person!

Bicem: PM sent

Jim VB
03-07-2010, 12:12 PM

A PSA 6 just "sold" in Goodwin's last auction.

http://www.goodwinandco.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=12526&searchby=3&searchvalue=demmit&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=100&category=1

They say there are three graded higher by PSA. They are in a couple of places on the pop report. Some are listed under Polar Bear Back and some are under Unknown Back. Combined, PSA shows: PSA 6 - 2, PSA 7 - 2, and PSA 8 - 1, so there are two 7's and one 8 out there.

I also tried to check SGC's pop report, but it never seems to like to work for me on Sunday afternoons. It must be a strict M-F, 9 to 5, kind of report.

JP
03-07-2010, 12:17 PM
Yeah, I'm not allowed to bid in Goodwin auctions (falling out years ago) and so I couldn't make a run at it. There are two PSA 7s and one PSA 8. Their images float through my head nightly...

If the purchaser of the 6 is known, feel free to contact me!

Jim VB
03-07-2010, 12:18 PM
Yeah, I'm not allowed to bid in Goodwin auctions (falling out years ago) and so I couldn't make a run at it. There are two PSA 7s and one PSA 8. Their images float through my head nightly...

If the purchaser of the 6 is known, feel free to contact me!

That club continues to grow. But he sure is a great guy.

barrysloate
03-07-2010, 12:54 PM
JP- if you wanted that PSA 6 in Goodwin, why didn't you just get a friend to bid?

MVSNYC
03-07-2010, 01:39 PM
in Mastro's April 1999 auction they had an unprecidented array of high-grade T206 cards...tons of PSA 9's HOFers, SLers, rarities and commons...Plank PSA 8, Magie PSA 7...AND Demmitt PSA 8, O'Hara PSA 7.

i still have that catalog, i wish i would have bought the lot of 28 PSA 9's...sold for $29K...around $1000/card...those 9's are worth A LOT more then that now...great R.O.I.

p.s. the demmitt sold for $30K and the o'hara sold for $9K

JP
03-07-2010, 05:46 PM
That club continues to grow. But he sure is a great guy.

Jim VB, are you saying that with sarcasm?

JP
03-07-2010, 05:47 PM
JP- if you wanted that PSA 6 in Goodwin, why didn't you just get a friend to bid?

If someone doesn't want my business, I'm not going to give it to them.

barrysloate
03-07-2010, 05:56 PM
I understand, and I don't blame you.

JP
03-15-2010, 06:24 PM
Legendary sent out my package the day they received my check.
Got my Plank in just a week's time!
Kudos to them...hope they are turning things around.
Here is my scan...since I won't be able to look at the card in the bank that often! :)

http://i41.tinypic.com/359zuv6.jpg

Mikehealer
03-15-2010, 06:38 PM
That is a good looking card! Congratulations.