PDA

View Full Version : Is anybody else getting bombed by ebay this morning?

Doug
03-02-2010, 07:48 AM
So far as of 9:45 AM I've received an email, an automated phone call and a text message to let me know that they have 50% off auction style listings for today only. It seems like a bit of overkill to me. A simple email would have been enough...

Pup6913
03-02-2010, 07:53 AM
Me too. Must be hurting for money. Maybe they should think about what business practices they took to put them in this situation:(

kylebicking
03-02-2010, 07:53 AM
8:12am... really, for a phone call? Still in bed after painting a buddy's house til 3am. Thanks eBay...

Robextend
03-02-2010, 08:00 AM
Yea, I got a phone call too...not needed.

barrysloate
03-02-2010, 08:10 AM
I got the phone call this morning...and immediately hung up. That guy must be getting tired making so many phone calls.:)

lharri3600
03-02-2010, 08:39 AM
Phone call and email. Maybe, just maybe they should take a look at their practices that got them to this point.

Doug
03-02-2010, 08:46 AM
It's kind of late for them to be trying to push people to list things "auction style" when they've let the entire site be overrun with overpriced BIN items. It was bad enough when the ebay stores were filled with them, but now that they have that "list until sold" option they are apparently going to be cluttering up the auction listings until the end of time. All that is going to do it make people filter out BIN items when doing searches which will make it impossible for the people that actually try to list BIN items with reasonable prices to sell anything because no one will see the listings. :mad:

ChiefBenderForever
03-02-2010, 08:56 AM
Incase anybody missed it, ebay is having 50% off auction style auctions today !

drdduet
03-02-2010, 09:14 AM
"Why don't you just tell the movie you want to see?!"--reminds me of Kramer

Orioles1954
03-02-2010, 09:33 AM
If you're a dealer/collector and don't need money immediately to fund another purchase, what is the point at all to ever list an item for auction? I can't think of one good reason.

Fuddjcal
03-02-2010, 09:46 AM
It's kind of late for them to be trying to push people to list things "auction style" when they've let the entire site be overrun with overpriced BIN items. It was bad enough when the ebay stores were filled with them, but now that they have that "list until sold" option they are apparently going to be cluttering up the auction listings until the end of time. All that is going to do it make people filter out BIN items when doing searches which will make it impossible for the people that actually try to list BIN items with reasonable prices to sell anything because no one will see the listings. :mad:

This sums the whole situation up. I love the auctions but there are 2-3 items at best per week that any good. I am noticing that even my "junk" is a treasure for auction. E-bay has created an atmosphere that has dealers buying every nice item at auction and then re-listing as a buy it now in their store. It is a really nice place to go If you would like to buy some nice Global GAI fakes though. The site is littered with so many fakes it is disgusting. They are starting to make Coaches Corner look like a world class operation.

Robextend
03-02-2010, 09:47 AM
"Why don't you just tell the movie you want to see?!"--reminds me of Kramer

Hello and welcome to MOVIEPHONE...

Classic Sein....

barrysloate
03-02-2010, 10:10 AM
212-555-filk!

Doug
03-02-2010, 10:39 AM
I'm beginning to think I'm the only person on this entire board that's never seen Seinfeld...

HRBAKER
03-02-2010, 10:43 AM
Doug,
No you're not.
Jeff
:)

RichardSimon
03-02-2010, 10:49 AM
It was a show about nothing, so don't sweat it :).
--

Doug
03-02-2010, 10:50 AM
Doug,
No you're not.
Jeff
:)

Good thing I was starting to worry. In my defense I was only 8 when the show started so I doubt I would have gotten it anyway. :)

RichardSimon
03-02-2010, 10:58 AM
It is syndicated, probably all over the world, try it you might like it.
--

GoldenAge50s
03-02-2010, 11:00 AM
Add me to the list as one who has NEVER watched 1 complete episode of that show. (But I have seen every episode of "All in the Family", which I think is the all-time Classic!)

The again, I Loved Lucy, too!

barrysloate
03-02-2010, 11:11 AM
Seinfeld is on every night of the week, usually two episodes. It's certainly worth a look.

Robextend
03-02-2010, 11:20 AM
Classic Seinfeld scene relative to baseball is when George Costanza (who is working for the Yankees) dissapears and Steinbrenner goes to his parents house to let them know their son has died. Instead of a father mourning his son, he reacts with anger about how the Yankees have traded away young stars such as Jay Buhner for over the hill vets.

"My baseball people kept telling me Ken Phelps, Ken Phelps..."

Classic

Section103
03-02-2010, 11:32 AM
Kramer's fantasy camp run-in with Mickey Mantle was one of my favorites.

mybuddyinc
03-02-2010, 12:35 PM
What the hell'd you trade Jay Buhner for?? He had 46 home runs and over 100 RBI's last year. He's got a rocket for an arm, YOU DONT KNOW WHAT THE HELL YOURE DOING!!!

barrysloate
03-02-2010, 12:58 PM
Kramer's punching out Mickey Mantle, and throwing a little chin music to Joe Pepitone, is a classic. Plus the show was full of baseball stars, such as Keith Hernandez, Derek Jeter, Bernie Williams, Paul O'Neill, Danny Tartabull, and Buck Showalter.

Who can forget Kramer asking Paul O'Neill to hit two home runs for a sick kid, and then when O'Neill hits one, and has an apparent inside-the-park home run changed to a triple and error, Kramer gets into a physical confrontation with the kid over an autographed birthday card. And what about Larry David's portrayal of George Steinbrenner? Too funny.

The show has more than enough baseball to keep anyone happy. How about Elaine wearing an Orioles cap at a Yankee game, and then being asked to remove it? And Kramer getting hit in the head with a foul ball. It's unquestionably rich in baseball.

barrysloate
03-02-2010, 01:02 PM
And of course Frank Costanza being more concerned with a crummy Yankee trade than over his son's apparent death...only on Seinfeld.

Exhibitman
03-02-2010, 01:06 PM
The Keith Hernandez spitting incident:

JERRY: Hellooo Newman.

KRAMER: I hate KEITH HERNANDEZ - hate him.

NEWMAN: I despise him.

ELAINE: Why?

NEWMAN: Why? I'll tell you why...

KRAMER: Let me tell it ..

NEWMAN: No, you can't tell it ..

KRAMER: You always tell it ..

NEWMAN: All right, tell it.

KRAMER: Ja ja ja - just tell it

NEWMAN: June 14, 1987.... Mets Phillies. We're enjoying a beautiful afternoon in the right field stands when a crucial Hernandez error to a five run Phillies ninth. Cost the Mets the game.

KRAMER: Our day was ruined. There was a lot of people, you know, they were waiting by the player's parking lot. Now we're coming down the ramp ... Newman was in front of me. Keith
was coming toward us, as he passes Newman turns and says, " Nice game pretty boy.". Keith continued past us up the ramp.

NEWMAN: A second later, something happened that changed us in a deep and profound way front that day forward.

ELAINE: What was it?

KRAMER: He spit on us.... and I screamed out, "I'm hit!"

NEWMAN: Then I turned and the spit ricocheted off him and it hit me.

ELAINE: Wow! What a story.

JERRY: Unfortunately the immutable laws of physics contradict the whole premise of your account. Allow me to reconstruct this if I may for Miss Benes as I've heard this story a number of times.

JERRY: Newman, Kramer, if you'll indulge me. According to your story Keith passes you and starts walking up the ramp then you say you were struck on the right temple. The spit then proceeds to ricochet off the temple striking Newman between the third and forth rib. The spit then cam off the rib turned and hit Newman in the right wrist causing him to drop his baseball cap. The spit then splashed off the wrist, Pauses In mid air mind you- makes a left turn and lands on Newman's left thigh. That is one magic luggie.

NEWMAN: Well that's the way it happened.

JERRY: What happened to your head when you got hit?

KRAMER: Well. uh, well my head went back and to the left

JERRY: Again

KRAMER: Back and to the left

JERRY: Back and to the left Back and to the left

ELAINE: So, what are you saying?

JERRY: I am saying that the spit could not have come from behind ... that there had to have been a second spitter behind the bushes on the gravelly road. If the spitter was behind you as you claimed that would have caused your head to pitch forward.

ELAINE: So the spit could have only come from the front and to the right.

JERRY: But that is not what they would have you believe.

NEWMAN: I'm leavin'. Jerry's a nut. [Exits]

KRAMER: Wait, wait, [Exits]

JERRY: The sad thing is we may never know the real truth.

Exhibitman
03-02-2010, 01:11 PM
And what about Larry David's portrayal of George Steinbrenner? Too funny.

George : I believe the doors on the bathroom stalls , here at the stadium, don't offer much by way of privacy . But I was thinking if we extend the doors all the way to the floors ......

Mr. . Steinbrenner : All the way to the floor ! What are you crazy ! You'd suffocate in there . Your lucky you have any doors at all . You know when I was in the army ...... Hey Costanza . What's that your eating over there ? It looks pretty tasty .

George : It's a calzone , sir .

Mr. . Steinbrenner : A calzone huh . Pass it down here . Let's have a look at at it . I want a little taste . Come on , come on . Pass it down here . That's a good boy . Okay . What's in this thing ?

George : Uh . Cheese , pepperoni , eggplant .

Mr. . Steinbrenner : Eggplant . Yes . That's a hell of a thing . Okay let's get back to business . Okay here you go . Very good , very good . Excellent. Excellent calzone you got there Costanza . Okay a little jealous now . Okay lets go . Ok last week ....... You know that eggplant was very good. Everybody out. I got eggplant on my mind. Costanza get me couple of those calzones right now . Pronto . Move out . Big Stein wants an eggplant calzone. Must have one . Everybody out . Out .

barrysloate
03-02-2010, 01:20 PM
Don't forget that Roger McDowell also had a brief cameo in the faux Kennedy assassination sequence....that was one magic loogie.

How about the celebrity softball game that Jerry and George played in with Bette Midler, and when George was tearing home on his inside-the-park-homer, knocked out catcher Midler, causing her to have to cancel her appearance in Rochelle,Rochelle-the Musical.

Like I said, for those who haven't seen it, it's loaded with baseball.

Steinbrenner: George, I hear you're a Communist. There's a whole untapped reservoir of Cuban talent that I want you to look into...there's a pitcher down there, Rodriguez something, I don't know his name...

Jay Wolt
03-02-2010, 01:31 PM
Barry, how can you forget Kramer telling everyone he saw Joe Dimaggio at Dinky Donuts?

barrysloate
03-02-2010, 01:38 PM
Yep Jay, another classic. Good call.

Robextend
03-02-2010, 01:40 PM
HAHA Dinky Donuts...

He hit like he dunked!!!

drdduet
03-02-2010, 01:44 PM
And Kramer pounding the table and yelping to break the Clipper's concentration....

Robextend
03-02-2010, 01:51 PM
There's a whole untapped reservoir of Cuban talent that I want you to look into...there's a pitcher down there, Rodriguez something, I don't know his name...

Thanks Barry, I almost choked on my coffee reading that....

barrysloate
03-02-2010, 01:54 PM
Larry David's staccato delivery of a slightly deranged Steinbrenner was funny every time.

I like a good cupcake every once in a while. I like them when they're cream filled...you take a bite and there's a surprise inside....

Robextend
03-02-2010, 01:59 PM
Agreed...

"She's a heartbreaker, love taker, ... Heartbreaker, love-taker, shoe-maker, won't you cut my shoes for free.

iggyman
03-02-2010, 02:25 PM
The Abstinence Episode

George: Guys, hitting is not about muscle. It's simple physics. Calculate the velocity, v, in relation to the trajectory, t, in which g, gravity, of course remains a constant. (Hits a home run) It's not complicated.

Jeter: Now who are you again?

George: George Costanza, assistant to the traveling secretary.

Bernie Williams: Are you the guy who put us in that Ramada in Milwaukee?

George: Do you wanna talk about hotels, or do you wanna win some ball games?

Jeter: We won the World Series.

George: In six games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch#playnext=1&playnext_from=TL&videos=HmknM01aMjQ&v=WTwE7xDZkPk

Lovely Day...

Oldtix
03-02-2010, 03:06 PM
Cotton breathes...

Tsaiko
03-02-2010, 06:43 PM
"who's this chucker?" :p