PDA

View Full Version : Let's see what you have from Ballplayers estates.

thekingofclout
03-02-2010, 07:24 AM
Dated March 3, 1972 is this first edition of Roger Kahn's masterpiece "The Boys of Summer" which belonged to HOF great Frankie Frisch. Annotated by the "Fordham Flash" throughout the book commenting on players, the weather, friends, gardening, dinners, etc.

A wonderful candid peek into the life of this very popular player/manager. He singles out PeeWee Reese by writing... "in my book - in my thoughts of a Hall of Famer - here is one-"

perezfan
03-02-2010, 08:42 AM
That's a special (and very personal) item, Jimmy...

Here's one from DiMaggio's estate. Joe would give these out as gifts/stocking stuffers to friends during the Holidays. Came straight from the DiMaggio Family....

GrayGhost
03-02-2010, 09:34 AM
Wow. two great items there, I especially like the Joe D pen.

BillyCoxDodgers3B
03-02-2010, 01:59 PM
Sorry, no pics available, but I have several signed pieces from player estates. My favorite item is Hans Lobert's personal copy of "The Glory of Their Times", signed by Lobert and inscribed to him by Larry Ritter. That book is such a seminal piece of history in itself. To own a copy belonging to one of the 22 men interviewed for the project is a pleasure. Come to think of it, has anybody seen copies of this book on the market that belonged to any of the other players from the book? I haven't.

barrysloate
03-02-2010, 02:09 PM
Jodi- I knew of a copy that had multiple signatures...I think it may have once belonged to Ritter himself. But I don't remember the details.

BillyCoxDodgers3B
03-02-2010, 03:02 PM
Barry,

Actually, that one does ring a bell. I don't remember the history of it, but am pretty sure you're right that it belonged to Larry himself. I still have a copy inscribed to me from Larry which I'm proud to own.

There are a couple of players who likely never signed a copy of that book--Paul Waner and Jimmy Austin. Both passed away the same year as the book was published (1965).

canjond
03-02-2010, 04:04 PM
Jodi,

Wasn't there a copy signed by Waner that sold in a Mastro auction a few years ago? I thought I recalled seeing it, and couldn't figure out the reason for the price until investigating Waner's death date.

- Jon

jcmtiger
03-02-2010, 04:39 PM
These were from Barney McCosky estate, I have since sold them. 2 trophies during WWII era when he was in Hawaii and a Jewelry box with his name on it.

Joe

slidekellyslide
03-02-2010, 05:48 PM
I have a bunch of items from Dick Stuart's estate (Thanks Mark and Andy!)

I have a bunch of pages from his personal scrapbook that he kept while playing for the Lincoln Chiefs..he cut out newspaper articles and wrote little notes here and there about his home runs.

This one is my favorite.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b331/nudan92/1947-1961%20Lincoln%20Baseball/dickstuartscrap-1.jpg

Photo from the scrapbook
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b331/nudan92/Nebraska%20Baseball%20Memorabila/stuart56Small.jpg

I also have Stuart's bracelet with his name on it, but can't find the photo on my computer right now.

This comes from Johnny Hopp's brother (former NFL player Harry 'Hippity' Hopp) , but still in the family right? :)

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b331/nudan92/The%20Players/hoppy1.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b331/nudan92/The%20Players/hoppy2.jpg

perezfan
03-03-2010, 12:48 PM
Here's Casey Stengel's Game-used Yankee Cap from the early 1950s. Came directly from his estate. Looks as though it was a favorite of his, with much love and wear. I bet he even abused it a time or two after some bad calls by the Ump...

I figured I should post it, as it probably won't be with me for much longer... I'll miss this one!

Jantz
03-03-2010, 09:23 PM
No pictures of my estate piece yet, but I picked up a 1941 New York Yankees Spring Training Manager's Itinerary from a fellow board member about 2 years ago. It was from the Bill Dickey estate. I had it framed and matted for display. I thought it was a nice piece from the year of the streak.

Jantz

thekingofclout
03-05-2010, 07:09 AM
Here's Casey Stengel's Game-used Yankee Cap from the early 1950s. Came directly from his estate. Looks as though it was a favorite of his, with much love and wear. I bet he even abused it a time or two after some bad calls by the Ump...

I figured I should post it, as it probably won't be with me for much longer... I'll miss this one!

But the Baseball Figural you landed in Hunt's is certainly one of the most incredible pieces in the hobby...extant. Would surely be the cornerstone in just about everyones collection.

I now need to make some decisions as what I should move in order to cover the cost of the Gehrig & Ruth TYPE I photo that I just picked up in Legendary's auction. ;)

Best, Jimmy

slidekellyslide
03-05-2010, 08:56 AM
No pictures of my estate piece yet, but I picked up a 1941 New York Yankees Spring Training Manager's Itinerary from a fellow board member about 2 years ago. It was from the Bill Dickey estate. I had it framed and matted for display. I thought it was a nice piece from the year of the streak.

Jantz

Jantz, I think you got that one from me...I had quite a few items from Dickey's estate...my favorite was a signed letter from Grantland Rice.

perezfan
03-05-2010, 09:01 AM
Thanks Jimmy... it's a "revolving door" for sure. As tastes change, so does the collection. Out with the old / In with the new (or "in with the even older" in my case!)

Magnificent Ruth/Gehrig piece, BTW... it just doesn't get any better!

frank461
03-05-2010, 09:23 AM
Team picture of the 1932 Yankees that hung in Yankee Stadium. Originated out of Lefty Gomez's estate. Lefty wrote the name of all his teammates on it. For himslef he wrote "Me".

Jantz
03-05-2010, 11:09 AM
Dan

You are correct. I got the itinerary from you and I still enjoy it. :)

Jantz

FUBAR
03-05-2010, 07:18 PM
that is an amazing yankees photo.... id be proud to hang that one even though im not a yankees fan!

thekingofclout
03-06-2010, 06:55 AM
Here are a pair of season passes provided to the "Yankee Clipper".

The first one compliments of the American League and the second from the Yankees.