PDA

View Full Version : 2.8 mil Wagner????????

Pup6913
03-02-2010, 06:28 AM
I got an email from a guy about some cards and he was wanting 60% of book. I explained that I would pay fair market and so on. He sent back a response that got me scratching my head. I have not seen or heard about this. Have any of you:confused:

Sorry, but I can't give the cards away. I would love to give you my cards but I can't do to the amount of money that I have Invested over the years. I deal in world wide auctions importing 95% of my cards and importing these cards costs, eg: duty, import tax, air post and insurance. Catalogues are used world wide to give a general ideal of approximate value of clean first class collectable cards. Selling cards at 60% of the catalogue price is very fair to most collectors as they generally pay 80% cat value with all said and done. The reason I am selling my cards off at 60% at present as this is what I have invested in them or let's say try to break even. I truly understand the world economic conditions and so some people at present may sell a Tiffany lamp for $20,000 instead of $60,000. I do know also how commodities etc. are low at present but an Interesting fact is the "PSA doctored Wagner card recently sold for $2.8 million in Australia.

Oh just incase the guy did not have a Wagner he actually had a beater T202 and 2 silks:eek: The rest was Tobaccocania stuff of not intrest to me.

Jim VB
03-02-2010, 08:27 AM
Lots of question marks here, but I'm not really sure you have a question. The Wagner in question last was reported "sold" for $2.8 million back in the summer of 2007. At the time, it was reportedly sold to a Southern California collector. Don't know where the Australia story came from.

Andrew, I've come to the conclusion that life is too short to waste time trying to communicate with people who have less than basic communication skills, as this guy exhibits. I'd just move on.

Last week I was high bidder on an Ebay auction at $1525, although my bid did not meet the sellers reserve price. Since I had actually bid around $1750, after the auction, I inquired what the reserve price was. I got back a rambling answer concerning how he had painstakingly put the set together himself and had over $4400 in it and would'nt consider taking less than $5000. Since he had just run a 10 day auction, attracting 9 different bidders, and no one else had topped $1500, I figured I was better off dropping it. In his mind, the time, effort, and dollars spent, were relevant to the selling price. They are not. In your guy's case his manifesto on world economy was crucial. You know it isn't.

Sometimes, more discussion isn't a good thing. Sometimes, it's just a waste of time.

Rob D.
03-02-2010, 09:51 AM
Andrew, I've come to the conclusion that life is too short to waste time trying to communicate with people who have less than basic communication skills.

We confer totaly with this statment.

Jim VB
03-02-2010, 11:06 AM
we confer totaly...

lol!

barrysloate
03-02-2010, 12:24 PM
Brutal crowd.

uffda51
03-02-2010, 01:39 PM
im' weth roB, fer shore. Whom wis thes Waggner ofwho you all speek?

Jim VB
03-02-2010, 01:56 PM
I thunk yoo was de byer!

Pup6913
03-02-2010, 05:06 PM
Sorry should of left out everything but the wagner part. I was in a rush this morning. Anyways I do agree with you Jim and Rob about walking away as his response was all I needed to conclude that answer. The question actually was about the Wagner for 2.8 mil. Is this the Gretzky/McNall, or another, and did it sell for that????

Jim VB
03-02-2010, 07:59 PM
I think he must have been referring to the Gretzky/McNall card. No other has been in that price range. But there has been no reported sale in 2 1/2 years.