PDA

View Full Version : Hunt Auction

JamesGallo
02-28-2010, 10:26 PM
I was away so I didn't get to go, but I am surprised no one is talking about the auction. The T5 Jackson went for 29K, seems a bit cheap to me.

Anyone get anything that want to share?

James G

bobbvc
02-28-2010, 10:47 PM
Haven't been notified officially, but I think I got the T5 Admiral Schlei for $300 ( not including bp) which would be a good deal (SGC 40). Wanted the Lobert auto'ed photo, but didn't realize the online bidding closed so early. The Lou Brock game model bat also went cheap as well as the "Chief" Meyers T5, although the photo on the Meyers was upside down in relation to the mount. A lot of nice items in that auction for the apparent lack of interest.

ChiefBenderForever
03-01-2010, 01:06 AM
It was so confusing I didn't even register, they take internet and phone bids and then do a live auction?

chiprop
03-01-2010, 03:49 AM
Hunt is number one in having the worst website and auction format! I think you could make a lot of money buying from Hunt and selling with most any other auction venue. The Jackson would have gone for much more, maybe even double in REA.

DaveH
03-01-2010, 07:25 AM
Hunt's is disappointing in that they don't a have a "watch" list feature (at
least I couldn't find one). I had to write down the lot numbers I was interested in and check each one each time I logged on. Really poor site.

dh

Bicem
03-01-2010, 07:29 AM
Does Hunt read the board? Hope so, YOUR WEBSITE IS HORRIBLE!

How do they get good stuff like the t5's?

Leon
03-01-2010, 07:37 AM
I still need a T5 and would have definitely bid if their website wasn't the way it is. Their website and processes are not user friendly. That's about all I care to say since I run an auction also...regards

Rob D.
03-01-2010, 09:31 AM
I had this very converation with a friend last week. Based on the material they get for their auctions, Hunt should be considered in the upper-echelon of the auction biz. And in addition to the quality auctions, their customer service is top notch. Yet because of that horrendous Web site, I think many collectors ignore them or think they're second-rate.

This is an auction house that holds an annual auction in conjunction with Major League Baseball, yet its Web site is a decade behind the times. I speculated that if Hunt would invest $5,000-$10,000 in technology on a new site, the money would be recouped within two of their major auctions. The fact that they hold smaller Internet-only auctions on a regular basis probably means the investment would pay for itself even quicker.

It really is a curious business decision, because I've got to believe Hunt has received feedback on this topic.

slidekellyslide
03-01-2010, 09:42 AM
I used to think that their monthly internet/phone auctions were the best kept secret..you could always get great deals, but in all that time I'm not so sure it was a secret, but that people just found their website to be cumbersome. People have adapted to it I guess enough to make the bargains a bit harder to find. It took me a while to figure out how to bid online in their catalog auctions though.

And I know the people at Hunt Auctions read this site because I once made the complaint here that I never receive their large catalogs even though I've won plenty in their Internet/phone auctions. Someone there read it, emailed me and told me that I would start getting the catalogs...which I did. Their website may suck, but their customer service is the best.

E93
03-01-2010, 09:51 AM
I completely agree; their website sucks. I also don't understand why one would have a 900+ lot live auction filled with $300 items that are more suited to an internet auction. I don't want to bother with arranging a phone call for an item like that and am certainly not going to fly across the country to be present for a live auction for those sorts of things.
JimB

Orioles1954
03-01-2010, 10:43 AM
I guess their "internet auctions" are no secret anymore, as well. Over the years I have scoured them and scored numerous items which I have flipped for quadruple the price or better.

collectbaseball
03-01-2010, 10:47 AM
I haven't ever dealt with Hunt, but ..... if what everyone says is true, why would anybody consign to them?

Steve D
03-01-2010, 06:18 PM
I was very happy with their service. I requested to bid by phone on one item (a Neil Armstrong signed photo). They called me about five lots ahead of it, and then when the photo came up, bidding went very smoothly.

Unfortunately, the photo went for a higher price than most have been lately, and I lost it.

Overall though, I was happy with the experience. It was the first time I'd ever bid in one of their auctions.

On the other hand however, I do agree that their website could use some improvement such as: adding a watchlist feature and also allowing live bidding through it.

Steve

cbcbcb
03-01-2010, 06:29 PM
I think they are second to none when it comes to memorabilia, games, advertisements, rare game used items. I live very close by so I usually go to their live auction every year, and if nothing else, it is at least a great opportunity to see some great items up close. This was the first live auction I have been to in a while where I didn't come away with anything. I am always after their coin operated games but they are always out of my price range. As for their website, yes it is very 1990's-ish.

Rob D.
03-01-2010, 06:30 PM
I think they are second to none when it comes to memorabilia, games, advertisements, rare game used items. I live very close by so I usually go to their live auction every year, and if nothing else, it is at least a great opportunity to see some great items up close. This was the first live auction I have been to in a while where I didn't come away with anything. I am always after their coin operated games but they are always out of my price range. As for their website, yes it is very 1990's-ish.

Chris,

Since you were there this past weekend and have attended other Hunt auctions, would you say the crowd size was typical, or did the weather keep folks away?

Bosox Blair
03-01-2010, 06:31 PM
...And joining the chorus - I have never bid (and would never consign) because the website is terrible, auction process too complicated, yada yada. Bad business model.

Cheers,
Blair

shammus
03-01-2010, 07:46 PM
Getting the Hunt catalog is a must for me for me to see what they have available. I typically disregard the catalogs of most auction houses because i just go through the website. In most cases, I can spin through the entire auction online in just a couple minutes. With Hunt, I NEED to have their catalog because there's generally no rhyme or reason to how things are organized in their auctions online and cards are pretty much sprinkled everywhere.

JamesGallo
03-01-2010, 10:34 PM
Jee if I knew so many of you didn't like them I would have bid on more stuff :-)

Based on what that T5 Jackson looking like I expected it to sell much higher.

I enjoy the live auction format so much more then the internet only one, there just wasn't very much in this auction I was interested in.

I do agree the website is a bit dated, but I haven't had any trouble tracking stuff and bidding on items through it. The lack of a watch feature is a pain, but since I get the print catalog anyway, not a big deal.

James G

cbcbcb
03-02-2010, 01:29 PM
Chris,

Since you were there this past weekend and have attended other Hunt auctions, would you say the crowd size was typical, or did the weather keep folks away?

It was by far the smallest crowd size I have ever seen. There was snow that day and with drifting I am guessing some people couldn't come. They usually get a pretty good contingent from the NYC area, so I am guessing with the snow they didn't come. I was only there for Friday, so I can't say about Saturday.

bcornell
03-02-2010, 03:14 PM
Haven't been notified officially...

This is what caused me to give up on Hunt's about 5 years ago - 2 of my bids vanished when I would have won on both of them. They always favor live bidders; everyone else is disadvantaged. I've mentioned this to them at the National and it's made zero difference as yet.

Bill

kenjrrice
03-02-2010, 05:42 PM
I always consign to them and I must say that their team of folks, especially Cristina, are top notch. Very high integrity, fast, responsive. They treat customers very well and for the most part, on signed items, they get top dollar. They are also flexible on terms and their All Star auction gets a huge turnout and audience. I admit their website is not the best but overall, I would say they are my fav auction house (REA does not have enough auctions, Goodwin does not have enough autographs in auctions, Legendary had this whole Mastro transition mess, etc).

perezfan
03-02-2010, 06:48 PM
I second that! Hunt's customer service is second to none. In addition to Cristina, Daisy, Allison and Jeremy are always very helpful. There is also usually someone available in person, which is important to me.

Also, this is the Card Forum- which is not the strongest faction for Hunts. I am positive they would be getting more favorable reviews over on the Memorabilia side. Yes- the website is cumbersome, but I have learned to navigate it wothout many issues.

You can create your own "watch list" by placing a lowball bid early on. That Lot then goes into your "My Account". You don't have to bid anymore, and can just watch the item if you like (that's just what I do... don't do this if you are afraid of winning something for a third of its value).

I personally love their Live Auction format, and the different bidding options they offer. This past auction, I won lots as a phone bidder as well as over the Internet. Anyone here who is smart enough to use ebay should be able to figure out how they want to bid with Hunts. It's not rocket science, as they are simply accomodating those who both can and cannot attend live.

I bet they will improve their site sometime soon... but there are so many other positives, I felt compelled to post in support of them.

slidekellyslide
03-02-2010, 07:06 PM
Mark, I almost always place minimum bids on their internet/phone auctions and then just use the "my account" button to watch them...in the olden days that $10 minimum bid oftentimes would hold up and win the auction....One thing I don't like about their website is that you can't search old internet/phone auctions...sometimes you can find something in particular in a google search, but I haven't figured out how to search their website.

perezfan
03-03-2010, 12:22 PM
That's a good point, and is probably the biggest deficiency of their website.

The only thing I wonder about is with 1,200+ lots per Internet Auction (and a new Internet Auction every month) there could be an exponentially increasing "information overload". Perhaps their system is incapable of storing so much data.

Hopefully, they'll correct it, and make the necessary website enhancements soon.

jerrys
03-05-2010, 07:48 PM
Agreed, Hunt's Web site is poor. It seems that they should not only improve their Web site but adopt the up-to-date method of remote bidding for live auctions as used by Bowers and Merena Auctions (Numismatics). B&MA offers real time online bidding from anywhere in the world. Using their software will allow you to view and hear the auctioneer as well as bid in real time as the auction takes place. Your online bids are placed on the floor as if you were actually attending the auction in person.

cbcbcb
03-05-2010, 10:33 PM
I have been learning a lot on Microsoft Excel lately, and I noticed that Hunt Auctions lists of 100 items copy and paste well into excel. I then use formulas or macros to retrieve items I am interested in. For instance, in one column I will retrieve anything that is less than 150 dollars. In another column I retrieve anything that says Philadelphia. The problem is I will have to update it daily since I can't have excel automatically retrieve it from their website. Hopefully that made sense.

HRBAKER
03-06-2010, 12:28 PM
I have been learning a lot on Microsoft Excel lately, and I noticed that Hunt Auctions lists of 100 items copy and paste well into excel. I then use formulas or macros to retrieve items I am interested in. For instance, in one column I will retrieve anything that is less than 150 dollars. In another column I retrieve anything that says Philadelphia. The problem is I will have to update it daily since I can't have excel automatically retrieve it from their website. Hopefully that made sense.

That's an awful lot of work just to be a potential customer. They should make it a little easier for you to spend your money with them IMO.

Orioles1954
03-06-2010, 02:17 PM
It's just real simple for me. I won't bid in an online auction where there is also a live bidding portion. It's just too much hassle.

Rob D.
03-07-2010, 01:19 PM
Has anyone received an invoice for the Feb. 26-27 live auction?

chaddurbin
03-07-2010, 01:30 PM
rob, calm down. you'll get ur lajoie soon enough :rolleyes:

hunt is absolutely one of my fav auction houses. the phone bidding system is a hit & miss (i think i'm 3/5 when requesting the callback) but the CS is always prompt and responsive...have been dealing with cheryl for a few years. internally they could be more organized but i've learned just have them confirm everything (like a callback, scans, bids...) then you're good. used to be able to get great bargains but they're far & between now so i think everyone has caught on.

Rob D.
03-07-2010, 01:35 PM
rob, calm down. you'll get ur lajoie soon enough :rolleyes:

Not if I can't pay for it, I won't.

perezfan
03-07-2010, 03:14 PM
Still no Hunt invoice for me either.... usually takes 7-8 days for these to get out to the West Coast.

Rob D.
03-07-2010, 04:45 PM
Still no Hunt invoice for me either.... usually takes 7-8 days for these to get out to the West Coast.

That makes sense. And Pennsylvania to Ohio is quite a haul, too.

JamesGallo
03-07-2010, 07:51 PM
I got my invoice middle of last week. I am less then an hour away from them.

James G

bcornell
03-07-2010, 09:01 PM
To summarize the comments here

- you don't get an invoice form Hunts until 3-7 days after the auction closed
- you don't know if they received your bid at all
- some bidders have to resort to using Excel to manage the auctions on their site

If this was 1997, that might be good customer service. In 2010, it's wholly inadequate.

Bill

sox1903wschamp
03-07-2010, 09:06 PM

- some bidders have to resort to using Excel to manage the auctions on their site

If this was 1997, that might be good customer service. In 2010, it's wholly inadequate.

Bill

I think that about sums it up. I have never bid in their auctions and the above are pretty good reasons why.

painthistorian
03-08-2010, 05:00 PM
Hi- Today we picked up a package at UPS, shipped from Hunt Auctions paid for by us and should have had our winnings in recent internet auction which was shipped UPS ground, w/ signature required...nothing was in the box and we feel it was stolen by someone at UPS.

My wife went to UPS in Suffolk County and the items inside the package which was sent were stolen from the box and resealed, with shiny brown tape but the edge of box was slit open as to appear it was sealed.. I noticed it right after she returned, there was only paper in the box. The box was a standard small cardboard box with our name on it, it is insured but the contents were removed and we now have to report this as stolen as I am sure the goods were in the box from Hunt although the packaging was not as good as it should have been. It was Lot 318 10 different T205 gold borders. It had to be taken within UPS system as the box was there at UPS from a door tag of a package that needed a signature in which we were not home. If anyone sees or hears of this group please let me know so we can contact local police. Thank you, Larry G. (painthistorian)

chaddurbin
03-08-2010, 06:02 PM

Bill

bill,

also you're not sure if you've actually won the item until you get the invoice...part of the hunt charm.

cbcbcb
03-08-2010, 06:42 PM
I will be consigning my first item to them, which actually will be my first consignment to any auction house. It is a Piedmont Tobacco folding chair and hopefully it will be in the May Auction. The size of it precluded me from putting it on eBay.