PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Plank ball for 551.00 Gimmie a Break

keithsky
02-28-2010, 08:50 AM
Just looked to see the prices realized at the Coach's Corner auction for a good laugh. 3 of them that caught my eye. A Eddie Plank ball for 551.00. A Cap Anson cut for 255.00 and a Honus Wagner Gov Postcard for 167.00. Do these guys at C.C ever look to see the prices realized for this stuff or do they just count the money when it comes in. Anyone in the right mind with any knowledge for sports autographs that own an aution house would see that this isn't right. Heck there was even a Geronamo cut autograph authenticated by Morales. Where the hell did he ever find an exempler of that? Hope it all ends soon over there. Make it stop

RichardSimon
02-28-2010, 09:36 AM
I would like to think that all the "noise" we have made here has made a difference and hurt their prices realized.
With the videos going up regularly on You Tube, I have to think that those videos have affected their prices realized also.
As I have said before getting their suppliers, the forgers, is obviously the key.
Obviously, CC has not sued any of their detractors. I believe that this is due to their obvious fear of what information would come out in discovery.
The names of their consignors would have to be made public and I am sure they don't want that to happen.
I would at least then find out if that e mail (I got another copy of it last night from another collector) that circulates regularly with four names on it is actually true. Judging by the frequency that I have received an e mail with those four names on it, I would assume that the circulation of that e mail has been high.
--

Clark7781
02-28-2010, 12:09 PM
I LOVE this guy! He rides CC HARD!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TomTresh2#p/a/u/1/Ti0fYm57VA4

tinkereversandme
02-28-2010, 12:11 PM
I read somewhere a while back that Lelands sold a Plank ball for $40,000. It also could be that everyone who purchases an item of those and sends to PSA/DNA and JSA and it fails, they usually stop buying from them and they lose a customer. And perhaps no longer associated with SCD. Who knows, but if you missed out on the Plank and perhaps didn't want to go to $600, wait a few months. I'm sure they will offer another.

Regards,
Larry

GrayGhost
02-28-2010, 03:24 PM
As we've said on here many times, Coach's commode is a bunch of crooks. As Ive said, check out All american sports collectibles website, w ALL forgeries on it. They may be the Roach's supplier. Or Roach's may be doing their own fakes. Someday, Tom Tresh' videos and all the bitching by us on here and other people in other places, will get the Government to take action. Then we will all drink a toast to Eddie Plank and Cap Anson's memories.

SteveVerkman
02-28-2010, 04:20 PM
No question they are terrible but this is one of the few businesses where people think they can get high quality items for 1-5% of the actual value.

I would just love to have a conversation with the winning bidders on some of these items and ask them if the price is maybe just too good to be true or do they think they are super savvy businessmen? Surely if someone is collecting Eddie Plank or Honus Wagner autographs, they have some vague sense of the actual values - especially with the ability to check prices with Google, ebay etc.

No one should really ever bid in their auctions and I just do not get the psychology of these bidders - do they hope there is a steal or do they not care?

Steve Verkman

RichardSimon
02-28-2010, 04:36 PM
As we've said on here many times, Coach's commode is a bunch of crooks. As Ive said, check out All american sports collectibles website, w ALL forgeries on it. They may be the Roach's supplier. Or Roach's may be doing their own fakes. Someday, Tom Tresh' videos and all the bitching by us on here and other people in other places, will get the Government to take action. Then we will all drink a toast to Eddie Plank and Cap Anson's memories.

Scott - the consensus among people I know is that Coaches does do some of their own stuff and the e mail, that I have mentioned, does contain the names of 3 of their suppliers.
I have also received several e mails asking me privately to name the names, but I won't do it until there is some proof of the allegations.
Maybe the proof will come along in good time.
---

danc
02-28-2010, 06:44 PM
The unfortunate thing about this business is that a lot of these collectors may not be able to afford $10,000 for a Babe Ruth baseball, but they can get talked into buying one for $800 and all they need to do is make themselves think it's authentic and they have satisfied their goals of obtaining what they believe is a legitimate item. In time, they will find out it's not and they will go into immediate denial as it comes from a "trusted" source and get angry.

But they do have a vague understanding of value Steve, because Coach's tells them the value in the description is some instances. They will say that it sells for $20,000 and the final winning bid will be $600. Happens all the time.

DanC

GrayGhost
02-28-2010, 08:15 PM
Thanks Richard for the comments. I also don't blame you for the witholding of names w/out proof. Thats good , legally and actually even morally, because of what I think is a serious issue here with all these forgeries.

mighty bombjack
02-28-2010, 09:41 PM

Oh man, I've long known about the crap on coach's corner, but the site you've mentioned here takes the cake for me. They are selling auro'd balls of Jesse Burkett, Frank Chance, John Clarkson, Candy Cummings, Rube Foster, Josh Gibson, Miller Huggins, Tim Keefe, King Kelly, Charles Radbourne, John Ward, and Mickey Welch?

That's a ridiculous joke of a site.

danc
03-01-2010, 01:17 PM
..and next month they will have the same stuff. And multiply what you saw by 21 years.

DanC

GrayGhost
03-01-2010, 02:13 PM
Seems AA sports collectibles has got some more great stuff in!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.aasportscollectibles.com/wardjball.htm

Not only is this a SIGNED JOHN WARD BALL, its on a LEMON PEEL TOO. Coach's Commode is likely jealous:D

perezfan
03-01-2010, 05:42 PM
That signed Lemon Peel might be the funniest offering I've seen yet. Seriously, who would be fooled by that?

I don't know why they even bothered signing the thing... an authentic Lemon Peel in that condition would command a couple thousand on its own (unsigned). Why not just pawn that reproduction ball off as being old, make a couple thousand, and forget the whole forgery part of it?

These guys are woking way too hard for their money!

JimH5
03-01-2010, 09:03 PM
Jeff Figler posts to a website and may also contribute to the St. Louis Post Dispatch who has complimentary things to say about Coach's Corner.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/columnists.nsf/jefffigler/story/A8A5909745531938862576CA0076C756?OpenDocument

There are a number of other online links to Mr. Figler, who appears to be a man of means, but if his collection is made up of CC purchases, then he has gotten a number of remarkable deals.

Vintagedegu
03-01-2010, 09:22 PM
-