PDA

View Full Version : OT: Baseball Encyclopedia

quinnsryche
02-28-2010, 07:31 AM
Does anyone know why the Baseball Encyclopedia (hardcover book version) has not had an updated edition since 1996 (10th ed.)? Not sure if this question pertains, but figured if anyone would know it would be you guys!
Thanks.

Sixtofan
02-28-2010, 07:46 AM
It became "Total Baseball" in the 1990s.

Looking on Amazon - ESPN published a Baseball Encyclopedia in 2008 although I do not know exactly what this is. At 1872 pages it is probably similar to the old Baseball Encyclopedias.

Steve D
02-28-2010, 12:24 PM
I'd say at this point, the internet has a lot to do with it. All someone has to do is go to www.baseball-reference.com, and get pretty much all the information that was in the BB Encyclopedia/Total Baseball, and it's free.

Steve

drc
02-28-2010, 12:54 PM
Total Baseball had some excellent and lengthy historical articles along with the stats. The main problem is it was one of largest, heaviest books I owned, so you couldn't exactly read the prose like a paperback novel at the beach. For it's time, though, it was a hard to beat resource.

toppcat
02-28-2010, 02:54 PM
It became "Total Baseball" in the 1990s.

Looking on Amazon - ESPN published a Baseball Encyclopedia in 2008 although I do not know exactly what this is. At 1872 pages it is probably similar to the old Baseball Encyclopedias.

I don't think one turned into the other, I think MLB just approved Total Baseball as the official record at some point. Total Baseball was much more sabr-metric.