PDA

View Full Version : OT: Tsunami

slidekellyslide
02-27-2010, 12:35 PM
I know that David lives on high ground...I can tell from the pics he occasionally posts, but I don't know about Frank Ward (FKW). I hope they are both safely away from any damage that may be coming their way.

BobbyVCP
02-27-2010, 01:20 PM
I live in Kauai and the sirens and phones have been going off all morning. Luckily I live on the north shore far away from where it is going to be hitting.

prewarsports
02-27-2010, 01:29 PM
I have a Nephew who is a Mormon Missionary in Concepcion Chile right in the center of where the 8.8 Earthquake hit. My Brother (His Father) has been trying to get word that he is safe all morning and the waiting is agony even though the chances are overwhelming that he is ok by the News Reports. I hope the best for everyone in Chile and in Hawaii as well.

Rhys Yeakley

Kawika
02-27-2010, 01:53 PM
I know that David lives on high ground...I can tell from the pics he occasionally posts, but I don't know about Frank Ward (FKW). I hope they are both safely away from any damage that may be coming their way.
According to his website Frank is in Kea'au which is about five miles inland from the windward coast of the Big Island. According to my Atlas of Hawaii the 400 foot contour runs right through his town so he should be OK. Tsunami is due on the Big Island in about 15 minutes from now and somewhat later on Oahu. Don't know if we'll have electricity/internet after that. Send beer and old cardboard. Over and out.

fkw
02-27-2010, 02:59 PM
Its hitting right now!!!

Im in Hilo right now, but upper ground, about 500'.

I live about 15 miles from Hilo, on the lower flank of Mauna Loa at the 1300' level, so my home is very safe. If Mauna Loa jumps back to life thats a different story :)

http://centuryoldcards.com/images/maunakea.jpg
Mauna Kea across Hilo Bay

http://centuryoldcards.com/images/maunaloa.jpg
Mauna Loa (most massive mountain in the world, 10,000 cubic miles of mass)

Exhibitman
02-27-2010, 04:07 PM
I gotta get over there some time...

Al C.risafulli
02-27-2010, 04:35 PM
Glad it seems like you guys are okay and that the damage is minimal.

That said, wow, I'm with Adam. I'd get on an airplane for that. Just not sure I'd come home.

-Al

Rob D.
02-27-2010, 04:42 PM
I gotta get over there some time...

Adam,

Given your on-the-record distaste for Cleveland, I'm not sure Hawaii is the place for you.

Kawika
02-27-2010, 05:11 PM
Enchanting Honolulu, the Cleveland of the Pacific.