PDA

View Full Version : Help to identify a Mathewson Card

Captainhask
02-27-2010, 10:31 AM
I really don't post often on here just because of the intimidation factor. I am one of the younger collectors and I like to sit back and listen to the veterans but I would like some help on this Mathewson card. The "card" measures out at aprox 11 3/4" tall by 7 1/2" wide, it has a blank back with small side tears where the front creases are at . Any help would be welcome.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x63/Captainhask/mathewson-1.jpg

rhettyeakley
02-27-2010, 11:38 AM
It looks like an M113 Baseball Magazine Premium (the earlier larger ones) where someone has trimmed it down. It looks like they trimmed the name off the bottom and pasted it by hs head. All of this was probably done at some point for framing.

If it is an M113, at ths point given the trimming the value lies more in the great image than it does as an M113.

-Rhett

FrankWakefield
02-27-2010, 09:09 PM
I don't think that is an M113. The name would not be inside the image field, it would have been centered under it in the border.

But it could be a close cousin... could it be a notebook cover? Any difference between the top edge and the other three? How thick is it?

rhettyeakley
02-27-2010, 09:39 PM
Frank, the name should be along the bottom on an M113 that is why I stated earlier that
"It looks like they trimmed the name off the bottom and pasted it by h[i]s head."

The name box by his head looks a bit irregular, like it was cut out from the bottom and simply pasted within the image for id purposes. I seem to remember this was the image used for the M113, so I still think that is what we are looking at (but I could be wrong!)
-Rhett

rman444
02-27-2010, 09:40 PM
I believe Rhett is right. It is an M113 with the name cut off the bottom and glued up on top.

Captainhask
02-28-2010, 07:23 AM
The name is glued to the top and after doing some more research based on your input I think that your right. Thanks for all of the help!

FrankWakefield
02-28-2010, 08:07 AM
Alright, I will concur, now that it is said that the "name" has been cut and glued up there. The image looks right, but there were no names printed in the image field on any of the Baseball Magazine premiums I've seen, and I think I've looked through a collection that had at least one of every example.

Rob D.
02-28-2010, 08:40 AM
Nice job, Rhett, as usual.

(I sent you an e-mail the other day about a card on your Web site. Not sure whether you received it.)

FrankWakefield
02-28-2010, 11:39 AM
Captain, I'm glad you posted and asked. And if you'd have mentioned that the name was glued on there then I'd have been with M113 from the start. I well understand the intimidation factor.... you just have to take us as we are. Even a nice person has an ass. Quote that, Rob.

Rob D.
02-28-2010, 12:51 PM
Even a nice person has an ass. Quote that, Rob.