PDA

View Full Version : Mayo Dunlop

clamendo
02-22-2010, 08:46 PM
Your not going to believe this one. Tonight I got a call from John Dunlop's grandson. He knew his father played ball for Harvard and new nothing about his father's card- He Googled his name and found the article that Mike Bonner and I wrote years ago. He then facebooked me. Pretty good for a 70 year old guy! I'm not even sure Leon could do that! He worked for DEC and HP so I guess he had a little advantage. Anyway more to come on this topic. Here is a picture of John Dunlop "The Anonymous" in his forties on a boat in Boston. Enjoy - notice the resemblance.

finalscore
02-22-2010, 10:48 PM
Carl, thanks for sharing the info, I look forward to hearing more!

Publius
03-01-2010, 10:13 PM
Very interesting story, and great picture. Has there been anymore communication between the two of you?

clamendo
03-05-2010, 06:50 PM
He plans on visiting the card of his grandfather over the next couple months at someone who owns a copy of it. I toild him to take a picture. He has two cousins which share the same grandfather. The family now is aware of the card, scarcity, etc and is combing through photo albums and scrapbooks with no luck. The general consensus is his grandfather never knew he was on a football card. In those days I'm sure they didn't have to license or obtain permission. So the long time theory that it was the photographer's son, holds no water. He said his grandfather was a good athlete and pretty smart to boot. I guess Harvard had high standards even back then, but I doubt he had to score 700+ on his math and verbal SATs to get in !!