PDA

View Full Version : Who holds the copyright for the ACC?

judsonhamlin
02-22-2010, 04:24 PM
It occurs to me that with all the recent threads and suggestions about how to amend (if at all) Burdick's Catalog, it is a copyrighted work (unless it is considered to be in the public domain) and I would think that the copyright holder, whomever he/she/it is, would need to give consent for a re-examination of its' contents. My reprinted copy from CCC is in a box somewhere and a quick google search gave no answers. Any ideas from the board?

Rich Klein
02-22-2010, 04:37 PM
reprinted the ACC in the 1980's; that would be the 1st place I would look. Because those books will tell you who held the copyright as of that time and when they acquired the rights

Rich

judsonhamlin
02-22-2010, 05:19 PM
Anyone have a CCC copy of the ACC on hand?

toppcat
02-22-2010, 05:24 PM
I would not be surprised if the Gelman family owns the rights.

JLange
02-22-2010, 06:39 PM
Looks like Nostalgia Press, Inc.

toppcat
02-22-2010, 07:01 PM
Nostalgia Press was owned, at least in part, by Woody Gelman and I believe his son Richard issued the most recent imprint. If anyone knows how to contact Chris Benjamin, he could hold the answer as he issued a booklet of the ACC updates a while back.

More on the Gelman's here: http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=110538

Rich Klein
02-23-2010, 05:05 AM
was that Chris was in Florida and active in politics. If anyone has a better update; that would be much appreciated.

Rich

Bob Lemke
02-23-2010, 03:43 PM
A decade or so ago Larry Fritsch bought out Richard Gelman. I don't know if this included the copyright for the ACC or not.

toppcat
02-23-2010, 06:16 PM
Was that separate from Lepore's prior purchase of CC Co stock in the 80's? Did Richard Gelman have his own distinct business (can't recall).

judsonhamlin
02-23-2010, 06:28 PM
So there seems to be any number of threads to try and follow here. If Fritsch bought out Gelman's "stock", then his son might be the one to contact. Otherwise, there looks to be one or two other possibilities.
The point is, any talk about working on an ACC update will never come to anything without the cooperation and consent of the holder.

paul
02-24-2010, 10:00 PM
It is very likely that the copyright expired, and that the companies that reprinted the ACC were able to do so because the copyright expired. Today, copyrights last almost forever. But back in the day they lasted (I think) 28 years, and then could be renewed for another 28. But for books with rather limited distribution, most people didn't bother renewing. You can find out for sure through the Copyright Office. It might even be doable through their website.

toppcat
02-25-2010, 06:31 AM
It is very likely that the copyright expired, and that the companies that reprinted the ACC were able to do so because the copyright expired. Today, copyrights last almost forever. But back in the day they lasted (I think) 28 years, and then could be renewed for another 28. But for books with rather limited distribution, most people didn't bother renewing. You can find out for sure through the Copyright Office. It might even be doable through their website.

Just tried it and got no hits but didn't spend a lot of time tweaking it. I have to think the copyright is likely still in force unless it was part of the Lepore deal--the book's publication passed through logical hands and if it went to Fritsch that trend would continue. No one has reprinted it but I would think there is demand. An online version would be great!

toppcat
12-07-2023, 04:16 PM
Revisiting this old thread. Richard Gelman confirmed to me a couple of years ago that he still holds the ACC copyright. Just tying up a loose thread!