PDA

View Full Version : The New Guy...

Iwantmorecards77
02-21-2010, 09:05 PM
Hello gang! I've been browsing these boards for a couple of months and finally decided to stop in! I'm new to this whole "vintage" game, but have long admired these "artifacts" of baseball's past. The funds...well, really are never there. lol

Obviously, I have a huge list of cards I would love to own one day, some of which may never happen but that's okay. I have always had a thing for the T206's (surprise!) and just recently dove right in and picked up a few cards. While I have owned just two T206's before (one common I recently sold and a McGraw Portrait), these few cards have really added a nice little flavor to my mostly modern (so kill me!) collection.

As a newbie, I have had my concerns. Again, the funds are on the low side, so I wanted to be careful. I've done some research before purchasing (a lot of it from this very site): detecting fakes, detecting fake holders, what "reasonable" prices are, past auctions (on the "bay"), matching certification numbers, and reputable sellers (plenty of feedback and 100% positive, selling similar items, etc.)

So, finally I decided to purchase a Ty Cobb "Bat Off Shoulder" (PSA 3.5), Christy Mathewson "Portrait" (PSA 3), and a Walter Johnson "Portrait" (PSA 2). While I am thrilled to add these to my collection, as a rookie vintage collector, I still get woried with all the "crookedness" that goes on out there! From this site, I've read about fakes ending up in real PSA or SGC holders, "doctored" cards, and so forth.

If any of you vets out there have any more pointers, feel free to share. Should I be this nervous when I purchase? (I've always been one to worry about everything - it kinda' takes the fun out of it a bit)

I know my cards are in PSA holders. The certification numbers match. The sellers have 100% feedback (and plenty of past transactions). They've sold similar items. The cards look legit. But this isn't always a guarantee! How long before we have a grading company to grade graded cards to make sure the cards are real? (that was meant as a semi-joke!)

Perhaps I am nervous because I am new. I thought this place would help me a long a bit. I still look at my cards and wonder how upset I'd be if they turned out not to be the "real deal." At first, I wondered why my Walter Johnson had a blue line around it's collar, shoulders, and the blue in his eyes was a bit off making it look (kind of) like he had four eyes (a Blue 4-eyed T206 Johnson! - Hey, I've also noticed the blue eye Wagner threads!) But after some research, I noticed some T206's print to be a bit off and some cards have this "blue lining" (even on a PSA 9 Walter Johnson Portrait!) So my fears about that card were put to rest.

I'm still looking at the Mathewson holder with shifty eyes - again, perhaps because I'm paranoid!

I'm sure these sellers (and cards!) are fine. Perhaps a seller or two is a member here (don't be offended - I'm still getting my feet wet!)

Again, I am a "newbie" with a long first post. I hope I didn't bore you and if any of you ever want to pitch in with a pointer or two, a very special thanks in advance!

Best of Wishes,

Todd

ethicsprof
02-21-2010, 09:31 PM
Welcome aboard, Todd!
i'm always pleased to see a lover of the T206s join us!
i would suggest that you read and reread these threads as they are an amazing research tool.
i would also suggest that you spend some time with raw T206s so you can get truly acquainted with them via their incredible visual and tactile and even olfactory offerings. That way you will get to know them over time and not be quite as anxious about their authenticity. Still, I do salute you for being
careful as you proceed through this fabulous hobby.
you may want to get a bit more acclimated before spending quite a bit of money on the cards. Granted, some you have mentioned in the grades you indicate already are quite expensivie.
finally, let me add a favorite dictum/aphorism that will put you in good stead over the long haul.
'Remember the Monster wants you to quit. Don't listen to it.'
all the best and again,Welcome
barry

teetwoohsix
02-21-2010, 10:31 PM
Hey Todd,welcome!!

Ditto everything Barry said.Also,you may want to check out the B/S/T area when you consider purchasing another T206.IMO,you wouldn't have to be so paranoid.I understand how you feel though-that's why Barry gave you such good advice-buy a few raw commons and study them.

Nice to see another T206 collector join the board!!Good luck hunting!!!

Sincerely,Clayton

drc
02-21-2010, 11:28 PM
Off hand, I think you're safer since they're lower grade. It's when you're buying 9s and 10s that things can be scary.

Most T206 reprints look significantly different than the genuine cards, so identifying reprints shouldn't be too hard.

The colors weren't always lighed up right on the genuine T206s, so there can be shadows, lines, etc.

A little paranoia can be a good thing for the collector.

WillowGrove
02-21-2010, 11:30 PM
Welcome is right.

I'm new too but have been going to shows since I was a kid in the 70's and my advice is to buy from dealers who you trust.

I personally do not know enough about grading to know the extent of the grading companies grading fakes so if this is happening on a broad scale - I'd stay away.

But if the fine collectors on this site tell you it doesn't happen very often, then have confidence in the services and enjoy your cards.

Either way - I hope you figure out how to get the enjoyment from collecting that you want. I feel your angst and hope it goes away.

Iwantmorecards77
02-23-2010, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the help everyone (and to the individual who sent me an email)! I do feel a little more at ease now!

Perhaps I will check out the "BST" forums next time as well!

I did purchase a lot of Fair-Good+ commons (with various backs I did not have). I just wanted to add a little something to my extremely small T206 collection.

I also purchased a PSA 4 hall of famer, but with a qualifier (there's that research again!). I do realize that "qualifier" cards are valued less, but it was a "cheaper" alternative to get a card that I really liked.

Some of you may read this and think: "Pfftt...rookie!" But hey, I am new at this and I can only afford so much! My next shopping spree will probably have to wait several months!

Thanks again for the help!

Todd

Jewish-collector
02-23-2010, 11:03 AM
Todd,

You wrote "the funds are on the low side". You will find out very soon that this hobby is not for the financially challenged. :D:D:D:D:D

Bosox Blair
02-23-2010, 11:35 AM
Todd,

You will find out very soon that this hobby is not for the financially challenged. :D:D:D:D:D

This hobby makes us financially challenged. :eek:

Cheers,
Blair

celoknob
02-23-2010, 12:07 PM
Todd,

You wrote "the funds are on the low side". You will find out very soon that this hobby is not for the financially challenged. :D:D:D:D:D

I don't think this is true across the board. Not everyone on this board is collecting rare prewar HOF cards and memorabilia. Or they might just buy a few of these a year.

Also, even "financially challanged" people often have some money for recreation. So, maybe instead of going to the movies, nice restaurants or buying expensive clothes, huge flat screen tvs or even having cable tv etc, they choose this hobby (I do).

I would not discourage someone not to collect just because they are not rich. Collecting can be fun even if everyone on the board is not impressed with your collection, as long as you are.

drdduet
02-23-2010, 12:10 PM
Hi Todd and Welcome!

Barry A.'s advice is solid and take it to heart. Another saying we live by is "buy the card, not the holder." Once you get the swing of how this site works post your cards of concern and in no time you'll have several expert opinions.

I'd advise you to download Scot Reader's "Inside T206" to turbo boost your t206 IQ. Also the latest issue of the Standard Catalogue of Baseball Cards can be a tremendous resource to the vintage collector.

Along the way read "The Monster", Lew Lipset's "Encyclopedia of Baseball Cards," and visit the T206 Museum online. As a sidebar to the history of the players themselves I recommend Ken Burn's Baseball documentary--especially the early years. WARNING--watching it results in the immediate expansion of your want list!

Jewish-collector
02-23-2010, 12:20 PM
Celoknob,

I agree with you 100 percent. I probably spend the least amount of money as any member of this forum does, but I still find the hobby personally rewarding.

Alan

DeanH3
02-23-2010, 12:47 PM
Welcome Todd,

You will find this is a great place to learn and interact with a lot of good people that will help whenever needed. I lurk more than I should but I feel that there are dozens of people that I would trust 100% eventhough I have not had any contact with them. You will learn who they are if you frequent the board enough.

Also don't worry about your lack of budget. I'm exhibit A for having eyes bigger than my wallet. I bought one card last year, a T206 Young Port PSA 4, but believe me, I wanted more. Hopefully 2010 will have more purchases in store for me. We all have different backgrounds and we all collect at our own pace.

Good luck on your journey and there literally is a wealth of knowledge here.

Leon
02-23-2010, 12:56 PM
Welcome Todd,
I think one of the keys to enjoying the hobby is to just do the best you can with the means you have. Whether it's 1 $20 T206 a month, or even less, you can be proud of whatever you manage to put together. I sort of did what most people advise against, I put some of my savings (some= a lot) into cards.....which is not necessarily the smartest move but it has been fun. I have won many and lost almost as many :). Once you learn what you are doing you might even take $100 and try to buy a few good buys to turn them into a little bit more...or maybe buy and sell enough to make a card for your collection. Be patient, make friends, read this and other boards and you will get to know more about the hobby. It's a lot of fun if you don't stress over it. Being on a limited budget means you will mostly be buying cards in collector grade condition...(maybe 1-3). Collect what you enjoy and don't be a stranger. There are a ton of people on this board that enjoy helping other collectors, myself included. To start off you did do the right thing in buying cards that were graded by one of the top three grading companies. That isn't foolproof but it is better than buying raw when you are brand new to collecting. Nice cards too, btw. take care and happy collecting!!

Iwantmorecards77
02-23-2010, 08:24 PM
Thanks again, gang! I certainly will pick up, in time, some other examples from different sets other than T206. The sickness is rising! But I just have that soft spot for the T206's.

It started when I was younger. I knew about the greats of the game and read up on them. I even saved up some money as a kid and purchased the "Monster" reprint set from a magazine. I've dug the set up and still go through it, picking out cards I'd like to have one day (other than the obvious Hall of Famers). That Pattee horizontal card is one of the nicest I've ever seen.

I've always been into baseball's past and perhaps it is in the genes! There is a little bit of baseball in my family history, as my Grandfather was a photographer and spent a lot of time with the NY Giants in the 40's and early 50's. One of his photographs (at least the negatives) is still in the family and marks one of the most dramatic moments in NY baseball history.

Believe it or not, baseball is my "second" sport, as I live, breathe, play (and am employed in) the great game of hockey!

Again, I appreciate everyone's input and will certainly use this site as a great source of information.

To the member "Willow Grove," is that in reference to Willow Grove, PA? Going through some old family photos (not taken by my grandfather I mentioned previously), I came across a handful of photos of a series of baseball games played in 1907. Some of the photos were at Willow Grove. The players appear to be from a club team, "town" team or something similar. The uniforms look like Pittsburgh or Philadelphia, but they're not. I just found it interesting, and ironic, that the name "Willow Grove" appeared in this thread after I found these old photos.

Todd

carrigansghost
02-23-2010, 10:35 PM
Please feel free to post those photos as that starts our collective detective juices flowing.

Rawn

Iwantmorecards77
02-23-2010, 11:19 PM
Over the next few days, I will try to post those pictures. I've glanced at the FAQ section to find out how to post pictures.

The pictures are pasted in an album with other family photos (including a picture of Sweden's Prince Wilhelm's visit to Jamestown!) Again, I'm sure this is nothing more than a travel "adult rec. league" team. There is some writing underneath some of the photos and from that, some of the players appear to be: J. Cantley, H. J.Brown, P.L.P., Wadlow, Price, among others.

If anything, it is interesting to see the spectators lined up on the "sidelines." The umpire has quite the attire, and the ice cream truck on the side is a nice touch!

I will try to get them up as soon as I can.

Is it normal to think how many of my ancestors (or the players in the pictures) used tobacco and how many of them came across T206's (or others) and what they did with them? lol I could only imagine!

Todd

Iwantmorecards77
02-25-2010, 12:39 PM
As requested, I am attempting to post some of those photos. I tried scanning some, but they didn't come out too great, as it was hard to get the album in the scanner. I didn't want to tear pages out of the album either. I apologize, as some of the photos appear blurry.

I've never done this before, so I hope the pictures work. There are a couple of non-baseball pictures in there (sorry!) There are 14 photos in all, but I didn't post all of them because the scans weren't coming out to good.

Enjoy!

Todd

FUBAR
02-25-2010, 01:26 PM
Todd, i am in the same boat as you, not alot of funds right now.. currently unemployed. I want to get back into real collecting soon.

I recently found out alot of my collection was stolen by an ex with a drug problem. I didnt even know she did drugs, thats how good her cover was. I only had a few t206 and t205's, but it hurts none the less. Any card i had from before 1986, with a value more then 20$ disappeared. I didnt notice for over a year. They were tucked away in a box as far as i knew. The only thing she didnt steal was my Peyton Manning collection as she knew that i looked at those monthly! I no longer have a single Gretzky, Lemieux, Roy, Howe, Orr, Dryden etc.... oo the names i have called her,, mostly it starts with C and rhymes with hunt!

I found this website when i was checking to see about fake cards to see if my Clemens was real. It looks awfully fuzzy. Then i found the story about the guy in California whochanges the psa cards and inserts fake ones into the slabs. Apparently he was doing this back in 2006. looked around Craigslist and he is still doing it even today. Crazy someone has given this guy a big momma beat down or he hasnt been arrested for fraud.

After browsing the website, i was hooked. I felt like a kid again looking at all the treasures on here and dreaming! Sure wish that Joe Jackson story happened to me. However, as thrifty as i am, i would have asked for a better price then the 20$... lol

anyways, My name is Jim and i hail from Vancouver, grew up in Edmonton most of my life and watched my beloved Oilers and the Great One win 3 Stanley cups live in person!

Peace !

mrvster
02-25-2010, 02:21 PM
TODD!!

welcome aboard!!!!nice choice with t206..have fun and remember this board will help you immensly!!

PEACE

johnny v