PDA

View Full Version : Burdick's T206 Wagner & T206 Plank

T206Collector
02-20-2010, 04:39 PM
Visited the Metropolitan Museum of Art today with my family and tracked down the relocated Burdick Collection. It is now on the mezzanine level of the American Wing (behind the Egyptian temple in the big room) and tucked away in the corner behind some paintings and kettles and misc junk. But I was pleasantly surprised to see Burdick's Wagner and Plank being displayed. It was pretty cool to see them together on the same wall.

May not be worth the price of admission, which now reaches $20, but at least you get to see some pretty cool baseball cards for the price.

barrysloate
02-20-2010, 04:43 PM
There are two ways to see the Burdick Collection at the Met: there is always a group of cards framed and on display; or you can make an appointment to sit in the Department of Photos and Prints (or something like that) and ask one of the librarians to bring albums and boxes out to view. I gather you just saw the cards on display?

T206Collector
02-20-2010, 04:49 PM
I gather you just saw the cards on display?

Correct. Last time I tried to make an appointment for the entire shibang for an article for my little website it never happened. Access is apparently quite tricky these days. I settled for the Goulston Wagner at the New York Public Library.

e107collector
02-20-2010, 04:51 PM
What type of condition are the Burdick Wagner & Plank in? If they were sent to SGC, what do you feel they will grade?

Thanks,
Tony

02-20-2010, 05:02 PM
Correct. Last time I tried to make an appointment for the entire shibang for an article for my little website it never happened. Access is apparently quite tricky these days. I settled for the Goulston Wagner at the New York Public Library.

Too bad on not getting the appointment. That "little website" you speak of is pretty great. It's where I found Net54 when I rekindled my interest in cards.

Kawika
02-20-2010, 05:31 PM
On my ImageEvent site, in case anyone is interested, are snapshots of the Burdick collection as was displayed in 2007. The Met is the size of a small town and the Burdick collection is just a tiny bit in a huge sea of art. I found it by accident in an out-of-the-way hallway on the way to see the Washington Crossing the Delaware painting. If I were Burdick I'd be pissed off that after all his painstaking years of work that this was the best the Met was gonna do. Better to have a wing in the Hall of Fame in my humble, unsolicited opinion.
Link: http://tinyurl.com/yhu9g2a (pw=aloha). Pix 16-31 comprise the entire display.
http://photos.imageevent.com/kawika_o_ka_pakipika/bbbofsfirstclass/museumexhibits/websize/DSC05104.JPG

barrysloate
02-20-2010, 05:31 PM
It's become very difficult to get an appointment to see the collection. Too many people used to visit, and they eventually had to change the rules. Back in the 80's you would just call and they would let you see it. Today you need a research project and they have to agree that it merits a viewing. I've always wondered if over the years cards were stolen.

T206Collector
02-20-2010, 05:36 PM
That "little website" you speak of is pretty great. It's where I found Net54 when I rekindled my interest in cards.

That's great to hear. I'm glad you found it somewhat inspiring.

I would say the Wagner and Plank are in the SGC 50 range, with a 60 possible on the Wagner and a 40 possible on the Plank -- though they were both apparently pasted by Burdick into the album, so unless carefully removed, would both be SGC 30s or worse.

Interestingly, my first reaction to seeing the Plank was that it might be trimmed at the top. It's got sort of a rough cut top that looked a little too wavy for factory cut. If anyone goes in to see it I'd be interested to hear thoughts on that.

matthew
02-20-2010, 07:50 PM
On my ImageEvent site, in case anyone is interested, are snapshots of the Burdick collection as was displayed in 2007.

Thank you, David. Cool pix.

Steve D
02-20-2010, 08:26 PM
.....there are always a group of cards framed and on display.....

Looks like Barry's slipping!

it should be "there is always a group....."

;)
Steve

canjond
02-20-2010, 08:44 PM
May not be worth the price of admission, which now reaches $20, but at least you get to see some pretty cool baseball cards for the price.

Just want to clear up a common misconception. The Met is actually free to enter. The $20.00 price is the suggested donation to enter. However, you can chose to pay as little or as much as you want for admission.