PDA

View Full Version : Traders in The Trader Speaks

cliftons8
02-17-2010, 01:56 PM
I was reading a couple of TTS issues and the thought of contacting some of these "older" collectors crossed my mind. I know I won't, but was wondering if anyone on the board has ever contacted a collector from years ago? If so, did you get to talk about the hobby back in the day, or buy or trade with them?

Mike

Leon
02-17-2010, 01:58 PM
I was reading a couple of TTS issues and the thought of contacting some of these "older" collectors crossed my mind. I know I won't, but was wondering if anyone on the board has ever contacted a collector from years ago? If so, did you get to talk about the hobby back in the day, or buy or trade with them?

Mike

Many of those collectors are currently members of Net54baseball.com. I know I kind of chuckle when I see some of my friends asking for cards and trades etc....from 20-30 yrs ago. It's kind of cool!!

vintagechris
02-17-2010, 10:54 PM
Yes but for some reason that guy wouldn't sell me any of his T206 commons for a buck.

ethicsprof
02-18-2010, 12:41 AM
Steve Mitchell, a member of our forum, was one of the key editors of Sports Scoop
back in the 70's. He has some great stories re: some of the great heroes of the hobby and some fine cards himself. Thankfully, he parted with an E94
George Close and helped with my 'types'.
A real prince of a fella--perhaps he'll share some stories when he gets a chance.
best,
barry

WillowGrove
02-18-2010, 09:25 PM
I placed an ad in TTS around june of '79 as a 14 year old kid and recently found my shoebox with all my corrsepsondance. I looked up two of the people and they seem to be around but have not contacted them yet. I think since they probably did not pay too much for their cards they would be more apt to trade. And I thought they'd also be a source to swap good stories about the hobby. Sorry - no great story here - but always enjoy an opportunity to talk about the olde days of the hobby. Boy I wish I bought more stuff from Lew Lipsett and George Lyons.