PDA

View Full Version : Please help with this issue. What do I have here?

frankhardy
02-17-2010, 12:29 PM
I just bought a collection that was absolutely full of fun, misc. items. I would be interested in knowing if one of you can help me identify this issue. I will try to describe. A couple of pictures are below.

What I have here is uncut sheets that measure 12 1/8" x 9". I have 16 of these sheets, including the last sheet which has a checklist. I have not checked thoroughly, but I think I have them all. These are slick paper stock and appear to be from either 1954 or 1955. I base this on the fact that the Dodgers players have on a Brooklyn hat and they moved to LA in 1956. Also, Al Kaline is pictured, and his rookie year was 1953, but his first full year was 1954.

Take a look at the checklist. I includes baseball, basketball, football, and golf players. It has a young "Mickey C. Mantle", Willie Mays, Jackie Robinson, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Bob Cousey, etc.

What in the world do I have here? (My fingers are crossed).

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u116/shanehardy/PSA%20Messageboards%2002/Unknownset.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u116/shanehardy/PSA%20Messageboards%2002/Unknownsetchecklist.jpg

Griffins
02-17-2010, 12:36 PM
The Dodgers moved to LA in '58, but you have Jackie Robinson there and his last season was '56.

Rich Klein
02-17-2010, 03:04 PM
From checking a couple of players whose careers are short, seems to indicate your item was issued in 1954. I base that on having Sam Jethroe whose brief career ended with a cameo in 1954 and Harry Agannis who had a two-year major league career in 1954/55. Whatever the item is, it is certainly very cool.

Regards
Rich

sflayank
02-17-2010, 03:16 PM
i forgot what theyre called but you can usually find 3 or 4 sets at the national
mike mosier can tell you what they are called

ALR-bishop
02-17-2010, 03:27 PM
If you want to contact Mike and send him a scan he has a web site, www.columbiacitycollectibles.com or e mail him atmike@columbiacitycollectibles.com . Mike is pretty good on odd ball stuff and pretty generous with his knowledge

Rich Klein
02-17-2010, 03:59 PM
it was discovered that Mike has the sheets up for the cheap price of $1599 on an BIN.

It was titled something like 1955 All-American Photos,...

Pretty cool item; no matter what the value is, and something I wished I had known in my Beckett days to catalog as I loved to list sets like that. Hopefully Bob can get that set into the F&W (Krause) data base

Rich

GoldenAge50s
02-17-2010, 04:35 PM
Under the heading "Golf" looks like a couple of tennis players also!

Exhibitman
02-18-2010, 08:46 AM
From the list of boxers it may be a bit earlier. Billy Peacock's career seems to have ended in 1953 and Pierre Langlois's in 1955.

frankhardy
02-18-2010, 09:18 AM
Thank for the info. I did email Mike through Ebay and he gave me some good info on them. He said that he has owned 3 sets in 25 years and has only seen one other set sell in an auction about 10 or 15 years ago. He also said that he didn't even know what to call the set until he found a membership card and letter.

Bob Lemke
02-18-2010, 03:24 PM
As I mentioned in the parallel thread on CU, I've previously declined the opportunity to list these in the catalog data base.

Despite the numbers, they stray too far afield from the concept of player cards/collectibles. They have no names, no stats, bios, etc. They are really just big composite pictures on cheap stock.

Exhibitman
02-20-2010, 05:16 PM
"They have no names, no stats, bios, etc. They are really just big composite pictures on cheap stock."

So, in other words, strip cards...individually numbered and capable of being cut up into separate cards.

FWIW, the boxers will go into my next edition of the boxing catalog.

paul
02-20-2010, 10:49 PM
I'm pretty sure the same type of cards/photos was sold in the most recent Hunt's auction (the internet version).

frankhardy
02-22-2010, 03:02 PM
I would be interested in a link or info as to how they did. Thanks.

toppcat
02-22-2010, 05:26 PM
I think an argument could be made they are order or sales forms....

Exhibitman
02-23-2010, 06:30 AM
I picked up one of the sheets, the one with the boxers. They aren't order forms or anything else than what they appear to be. Which are strip cards. They are just like W512, W513, W560, W565, W590 or any other sheet-based strips.

frankhardy
02-23-2010, 04:31 PM
I forgot to mention this - I found out that they are called 1955 All American Sports Club.

I just got confirmation from Hunt Auctions that there was indeed a completed auction of these. They did not know what to call them. The auction was not archived, but Daisy (the lady's name) at Hunt Auctions sent me the description and the photo. In there auction, there was only 10 of the 16 sheets and it sold for a whopping $880.00 plus juice. Plus, mine looks like it is in much better condition than the Hunt lot. In the Hunt lot, some had pin holes. Mine has no pin holes and mine is a complete set of 16.

Thanks for the heads up on the Hunt Auction.

Exhibitman
02-23-2010, 04:46 PM
the Daisy at Hunt Auctions sent me the description and the photo.

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

frankhardy
02-23-2010, 08:23 PM
I was typing fast. Now, it's corrected. Her name was Daisy.:o

Rich Klein
02-23-2010, 08:23 PM
I agree with Adam and think these are closer to strip cards and if I were still at Beckett, I'd list these as well. That is just my opinion, and I understand Bob's position as well. Neither of us would be wrong on this, we just look at items like this differently.

Regards
Rich

Exhibitman
02-23-2010, 08:41 PM
I was typing fast. Now, it's corrected. Her name was Daisy.:o

I know; just havin' a little fun on a harried Tuesday at work...

Exhibitman
02-23-2010, 08:48 PM
I agree with Adam and think these are closer to strip cards and if I were still at Beckett, I'd list these as well. That is just my opinion, and I understand Bob's position as well. Neither of us would be wrong on this, we just look at items like this differently.

Regards
Rich

Thanks, Rich. Having had the chance now to hold a sheet in hand I would definitely categorize them as a "W" set. They could easily be made into nice strip cards. If they had a decent selection of fighters, frankly, I might be tempted. I mean, at least the baseball cards have The Mick, Jackie, etc. A 1955 boxing issue with no Marciano or Sugar Ray but with Sammy Giuliani? ugh...who the heck is Sammy Giuliani???

frankhardy
05-14-2010, 08:01 AM
Just wanted to update everyone on the 1955 All American Sports Club set. I tried listing it on Ebay several weeks ago with a Buy It Now of $995 or best offer. No offers. So, I contacted Hunt Auctions and they consigned it for me. It ended Wednesday night for $575.00 plus juice. Not what I was hoping for, but it will do.