PDA

View Full Version : Some Positive Thoughts on This Hobby

Bosox Blair
02-17-2010, 01:47 AM
I realized tonight I've been dwelling on some of the more negative threads on the Board lately, and it is dragging me down a bit. I thought I would share a few positive thoughts with anyone who cares to read.

Though some likely view me as a newbie because I had a bit of a hiatus in my collecting, I have actually been collecting vintage cards for over 30 years. In that time, believe it or not, most things about this hobby have improved dramatically for the collector. Here are a few you might relate to:

1. Access to material - largely due to the internet, this is light years ahead of what it was. I went to so many disappointing card shows over the years...I can't begin to detail. For a collector looking for something very specific, this was quite a daunting challenge 30 years ago. For people living outside a major city/metro area, it could be near impossible to build the collection you wanted to have. It is much, much more satisfying to collect today.

2. Card grading - as much as we all have beefs with the grading companies, trust me when I say the situation today is so much better than it was. Dealers back then pretty much all overgraded their material...a lot. And it was a bit like a joke - your cards were always EX and their cards were always Near Mint. None of it was true. Arguing over grade with a dealer was like repeatedly bashing your head against a brick wall. Buying a card through the mail based on the dealer's grading of the card was a uniformly disappointing experience. It might not be perfect now, but it is a heck of a lot better.

3. Market/Pricing info - so much better now...ready access to real sales results, completed auction sales, etc. The ability to check multiple dealer inventories online for asking prices. These things were just not at your fingertips as they are today.

4. Info about Cards/Sets/Players - some of this was out there, but for the most part you had to build a library of books to learn about this stuff (I still have many of mine, and they are heavy and dusty). The internet generally (and sites and bulletin boards devoted to these specific interests) allows us to have so much more information in a much more accessible and easily searchable format.

Anyways, I just wanted to post some positive thoughts about collecting today. Feel free to add some of yours!

Cheers,
Blair

3-2-count
02-17-2010, 04:39 AM
Hi Blair. I agree with everything on your list, but would like to add one.

5. The appreciation of friends and acquaintances I've met in the hobby the last 15 years. Between N54 and a couple other forums I'm part of
it's hands down the one most important thing I treasure most and am thankful for.

Regards, Tony Andrea

rc4157
02-17-2010, 05:45 AM
I agree with all of the above.
Without Net54 and it's many resources from it's members, I truly doubt I would still be pursuing vintage cards (that would have saved me some money!), but I would be missing out on cyber friendships and also the rekindling of my interest in old-time baseball.
RC

Mrc32
02-17-2010, 05:56 AM
I would say the greatest thing about the hobby is access to cards that 15 years ago were almost impossible to find. I remember going to shows in the early 90s and seeing pre-war cards, like t206s, at prices that were way out of the reach of us mere mortals.

Today with the advent of the internet and eBay you can find cards that I once thought to be collected by a few, accessible to everyone.

Rich Klein
02-17-2010, 06:03 AM
The availability of those items on the internet has driven down prices. Good for consumers, not so good for dealers. But the smart dealers have adjusted to the times.

Rich

timzcardz
02-17-2010, 06:25 AM
One of the greatest things about this hobby, is the people, and the sharing with them of cards, information, and experiences.

The internet has certainly made it easier to "get together" with them.

I have some good friends throughout the country that I never would have "met" 30 years ago, and some of them I have actually met in person as a result, and others that I just haven't met in person yet.

thegashousegang
02-17-2010, 07:31 AM
Good thread. I agree with all the points above - especially about prices now being more reflective on the card's actual condition, instead of the dealer's 'expert opinion'.

forazzurri2axz
02-17-2010, 07:46 AM
and not consigning anymore to auction houses that are (or have been) BLATANTLY unethical

toppcat
02-17-2010, 08:43 AM
All good points above but I do miss having a choice of shows to go to every weekend.....

Bosox Blair
02-17-2010, 09:47 AM
Hi Blair. I agree with everything on your list, but would like to add one.

5. The appreciation of friends and acquaintances I've met in the hobby the last 15 years. Between N54 and a couple other forums I'm part of
it's hands down the one most important thing I treasure most and am thankful for.

Regards, Tony Andrea

Great addition, Tony...very true.

Thanks for your responses guys!

Cheers,
Blair

Writehooks
02-17-2010, 10:15 AM
All salient points, gentlemen. I'd just like to add that forums like Net54 have also, I believe, spurred a greater interest in and appreciation of sports history through the pursuit of cards and memorabilia. The relationship between the artifacts we collect and the history they represent has always been special to me. It keeps the passion stoked.

Rich Klein
02-17-2010, 10:22 AM
If there is ONE passable show each year in the DFW area; that is a good accomplishment

Rich

Jim VB
02-17-2010, 10:54 AM
Rich,

Is there even one? I've lived here close to 5 years and have never gone to a show locally.

There aren't even many non-passable shows around here.

drc
02-17-2010, 11:19 AM
I think most people in the hobby, big to small timers, are honest and ethical.

I think people are more knoweldgeable than the used to be, and I've learned a lot from others on this board. I've learned a lot about game used from the posters at gameuseduniverse, though that's an area I had little knowledge about.

jbsports33
02-17-2010, 12:22 PM
I think we are all blessed that so many of us are active in the hobby, the collector has so many avenues now and it’s only growing. There are disappointing stories we all hear about shows, auction companies and individuals that take advantage of this hobby. In truth there has never better a time I can remember that the hobby has benefited with strong communities, resources like this site and many others. We all learn and take care of each other and want to help everyone enjoy collecting, so other generations can continue what we and our past collectors have started.

Jimmy

Robextend
02-17-2010, 12:28 PM
When I stumbled upon Net 54 it actually rejuvinated my interest in the hobby.
Not only have I learned so much, I have made some good collecting friends and consider myself to be part of a community. It is no coincidence that every transaction I have made since joining Net54 has left me much happier than prior to me joining.

Rob

DeanH3
02-17-2010, 12:37 PM
I too agree with your points Blair. The interent has been great but it has ruined the large regional shows. I sure do miss going to those shows and anticipating with excitement what I might find, socializing with people I had met and just feeling the buzz I had when I walked in the door and looked at all those dealer tables. We used to have a few good shows a year here in Northern California but those are all but a distant memory.

Just wanted to note though, the internet has expanded my collection more than it probably would be otherwise. Allowed for me to meet new friends I would have not met without it. And provides a place for wonderful communities like this one to be possible.

drc
02-17-2010, 12:40 PM
And don't forget that Net54 is the only place where you get to view my cryptic avatars

http://cycleback.com/bilde.jpg http://cycleback.com/jean.jpg

D. Broughman
02-17-2010, 12:49 PM
6. I believe one of the best things about this hobby is an older gentleman can share it with young kids and not have a back ache in the morning. I notice this more every year. :(

ethicsprof
02-17-2010, 01:13 PM
great colleagues, researchers, and friends.

best,
barry

jb217676
02-17-2010, 01:32 PM
A positive thought on the Hobby. Hmmm. How about younger collectors like myself focusing on collecting vintage cards instead of modern stuff. To go back to the thread 'Who will be the buyer of our vintage cards in 20 years?' It will hopefully be guys like me, just turning fifty and keeping this great hobby alive!:)

Ladder7
02-17-2010, 03:49 PM
Hmm, Ladies with arrows and high-powered rifles... Ain't that how women appear to all of us?

Rich Klein
02-17-2010, 03:51 PM
Rich,

Is there even one? I've lived here close to 5 years and have never gone to a show locally.

There aren't even many non-passable shows around here.

http://www.autographshow.com/ARLshow1004.html

This will be held Friday April 23-Sunday April 25 at the Arlington Convention Center. Expect about 50-75 dealer tables. I think the best vintage dealers who will be there are Roger Neufeuldt and Paul Sjolin.

So, mark this in your calendar. Last time I went; Friday was free admission because no one was signing and I had a blast and bought a few things. And Paul Sjolin related to me verbatim the 2009 National thread I had started a few days earlier.

Regards
Rich

Clark7781
02-17-2010, 05:47 PM
6. I believe one of the best things about this hobby is an older gentleman can share it with young kids and not have a back ache in the morning. I notice this more every year. :(

One of the things I love most about this hobby is sharing it with my five year old. About once a week, I bring some of my cards out and lay them on the dining room table. Without fail, my five year old, within about ten minutes, comes up to me and says, "Um, dad? What are you doing?" I then begin to tell him about and show him my baseball cards. He has shown an interest and has since started "collecting" Chase Utley (his favorite player) cards. He has about 20 of them that he has in penny sleeves and hard holders.

He said he wants to go to the big card show at the Dulles expo center with me next month.

I am in heaven!

THIS, to me, is what's good with our hobby.

Jim VB
02-17-2010, 06:13 PM
Thanks Rich. I probably would have missed it. If I can make it that Friday, I'll buy you lunch.

Edited to add: Before Leon gets to it... the parking???

Leon
02-17-2010, 06:20 PM
Thanks Rich. I probably would have missed it. If I can make it that Friday, I'll buy you lunch.

Edited to add: Before Leon gets to it... the parking???

The secret is to park on the other side of the street and down a little. Otherwise, no free parking for you. :eek:

Rich Klein
02-17-2010, 06:43 PM
Parking is $5 at the Convention Center but if you are willing to walk, it is free.

And since the Rangers are on the road that weekend; that "is" the way to go

Regards
Rich

vintagebaseball
02-17-2010, 08:25 PM
It is always nice to have something to help you unwind and looking through my vintage card collection and reading net54 is perfect stress reliever , it helps to take my mind to another time in our history, that is one of the many positive aspects that I can think of and having a source to obtain the knowledge and history of baseball cards keep me wanting to learn more and more each day.

Jewish-collector
02-17-2010, 08:47 PM
A few thoughts...

We are going through a generational shift in our hobby. The baby boomers, one of the most influential groups in American history, really got this entire hobby going in the 1980's. I think today's generation collects a little differently than the baby boomers did. There is a major difference between today's collector and the old-time collector.

Many years ago, most transactions in the hobby were done by trading and exchanging want lists through the mail. Even at the few early card shows in the country, there were some cash transactions, but more trades. With the internet, almost everything is less personal and done through eBay, auction houses, and/or web sites. However, todays collectors create and enjoy in different ways to make their own collecting a very rewarding experience.

This Net54 board along with other forums, tries to bring collectors together sharing information with similar interests. I think the Net54 dinner at the National is one of the very best ways that collectors can meet each other, since shows are seemingly extinct.

Alan