PDA

View Full Version : I Finally Got It

BCauley
02-14-2010, 03:19 PM
It's here! It has some rounding on the corners and a crease in the upper right corner but it has what I look for with centering, great color, and just flat out good eye appeal.

THIS has been the card that ever since I saw it for the first time about 10 years ago, decided that I had to have it at some point. For some reason or another, I just never went after it. Well, 2010 hit and I decided I wanted a focus for my collection and I decided on obtaining at least the following three cards during this year.

1) '53 Bowman Color Pee Wee Reese
2) T206 Walter Johnson Portrait
3) 1938 Goudey Heads Up Bob Feller

Well, number one is done. I'm thinking I'm going after the Johnson next. I realized that I had too many cards that just don't matter or mean anything to me so what better way to fund my true desires than by selling off my other stuff. I sold off most of my game used and autographed stuff and a few modern RC's that I had dupes of. So, I got what to me is my favorite baseball card ever made in return for some ebay fees and a bunch of stuff that I just did not care about.

I think I'll end up with a lot less of my modern stuff pretty soon only keeping my RC's, Dustin Pedroia, and Nick Markakis cards. I'll get a few others here and there but I'm now finally all about pre/post war vintage.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o237/billcauley/Vintage/Reese-1.jpg

ALR-bishop
02-14-2010, 03:46 PM
Congrats Bill. I met Reese once in St Louis during the 1982 World Series. I picked up some tickets from him that my wife received from H&B as a shareholder. He was doing some promotional stuff for them at the time.

Good luck on your other two cards

paulcarek
02-16-2010, 02:11 PM
Nice going, Bill. I sold off the majority of my HOF collection a while back to finance a smaller group of more "meaningful" cards, and have not regretted doing so for a second. Let's see a scan of your Reese when it arrives!

JasonL
02-16-2010, 02:35 PM
Post a scan when you get it!

You mentioned some of the rationale for the Reese purchase, but I'd be interested to hear how you came up with your next 2 targets as well...it's a nice diverse little grouping you're focusing on...

Beatles Guy
02-16-2010, 06:18 PM
Congrats on the Reese. It is on my list too.

Ksquared
02-16-2010, 06:40 PM
Congrats. That is a great card. I like your approach. Good luck with the others.

Jim

Volod
02-18-2010, 03:24 PM
Congrats indeed...it's always a rush to finally get that elusive card you've been chasing for years...we all know the feeling. I can still (very vaguely) recall the first time I ever saw that '53 Bowman Reese coming out of a wax pack in the spring of that year. Unfortunately for me, it was some other kid's wax pack and I was envious as hell. That sort of youthful craving can stick in your subconscious craw forever.

curch
02-24-2010, 08:55 PM
awesome pickup. I am looking for one in the same type of condition. Congrats!

Joe

Chris Counts
02-24-2010, 09:15 PM
Like so many collectors, I'm in awe of this card. In the 1970s when I was a teenager, I managed to put together a 1953 Bowman set, but I sold it off just before I went off to college. I got back into collecting about 10 years ago, and it was hard to get started again, remembering all the cards I used to have. I decided to start right off and get the '53 Reese to break the ice. With a limited budget, I went on eBay and found what I consider to be a "perfectly flawed" card. In others, a card that will grade poorly, but has great eye appeal. Here it is ...

Here's my collection: http://imageevent.com/ccmcnutt

Volod
03-06-2010, 06:22 AM
With so much nostalgic fondness focused on this classic Reese card, I wonder who the baserunner was. Probably a spring intra-squad game, so must be a Dodger.

toppcat
03-06-2010, 08:18 AM
The runner is usually identified as Phil Rizzuto but I do not know if that is true or not.

Jerry G
03-06-2010, 11:14 AM
Chris,

I think it's the simple memories such as the one you expressed that make card collecting so special.

Welcome back.

Bob Lemke
03-08-2010, 03:36 PM
I have seen the name Frenchy Bordagaray attached to the sliding player, which would make the photo much older than 1952. Frenchy left the majors after 1945.