PDA

View Full Version : Auction houses- when will they get a clue?

tbob
02-13-2010, 02:56 PM
A few months ago I bought an item in an auction from Heroes of Sports auction, a nice Fatima T200 St. Louis AL team card in a PSA holder. I immediately paid for the item then, to my chagrin, read many posts on this board about 54 members who were not charged anything for shipping since this was their initial auction offering. Taking a cue from a couple of guys here I called and later wrote a couple of letters to HOS letting them know that it was only a matter of around $10 but I'd appreciate it if they would reimburse me for the shipping charge I paid. Nada.
The bottom line is I will never bid in another of their auctions based on principle. I realize I am just one bidder but this a heck of a way to do business, especially for a new outfit starting up.

Rob D.
02-13-2010, 03:37 PM
Bob,

Wasn't there a thread in which you previously logged this complaint, and in the course of the thread it was revealed that the father of the owner of the auction house recently had died? I honestly don't remember the exact specifics, and forgive me if I'm off a bit (or totally wrong), but I think the timeline of the auction ending and the death was pretty close.

Granted, it's not fair that you had to pay for shipping and others didn't, and this should just be added to the growing list of transgressions by auction houses. But maybe in this case, the owner of the auction house got a little distracted.

Edited to add: Here's the thread I referenced:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=114105

barrysloate
02-13-2010, 03:40 PM
Scott Jaimet did die recently.

egbeachley
02-13-2010, 03:45 PM
members who were not charged anything for shipping since this was their initial auction offering....... I will never bid in another of their auctions based on principle

No good deed goes unpunished. Ridiculous.

calvindog
02-13-2010, 04:17 PM
Bob, you won't bid in their auctions because they won't refund the paltry $10 shipping fee they rightfully charged you? They didn't defraud you or otherwise abuse you so you're treating them as if they committed enough of a sin to publicly flog them and swear off their auctions just over that?

Feel free to chime in on the Legendary thread, by the way. Perhaps they deserve a bit more of your anger than an honest, fledgling company run by a guy whose father just died.

Cat
02-13-2010, 05:21 PM
I hear if you write a letter to McDonald's, for any reason, they will automatically send you $5 worth of McDonald gift certificates. I think you should write two letters to McDonalds and then take a deep breath.

rdwyer
02-13-2010, 06:15 PM
Thought I'd chime in with this story:

Had a local auction house, auction off an autographed BB with Mickey Mantle, Ted Williams & Joe DiMaggio. Reserve was $750. Auctioneer sold it for $700. I reminded him that it had the reserve, and he said don't worry about it.

Weeks later, I call in to ask for my money. He told me it didn't sell. Then he told me that his "In House" bidders were the ones who got it up to $700. What balls this guy had telling me he had shill bidders working for him!

I got my ball back and sold it the next day to a friend. Last time I deal with this scum.

tbob
02-13-2010, 08:25 PM
Bob, you won't bid in their auctions because they won't refund the paltry $10 shipping fee they rightfully charged you? They didn't defraud you or otherwise abuse you so you're treating them as if they committed enough of a sin to publicly flog them and swear off their auctions just over that?

Feel free to chime in on the Legendary thread, by the way. Perhaps they deserve a bit more of your anger than an honest, fledgling company run by a guy whose father just died.

Jeff- I agree failing to refund a shipping fee no one else had to pay which was only $10 isn't a crime punishable by death in most states but the fact that I called (as you and others here suggested and assured me that it would be quickly paid) and sent a couple of polite and not antagonistic emails about the promise and how it had not been kept, is reason enough for me not to bid in their auction. I liken this to the situation in which you are curious of a seller on ebay and how he treats his customers and the type of service and quality of merchandise he provides so you buy a T206 common first and then satisfied with grading, service and merchandise, you spend $700-800 for that more expensive card you need.
I'm sorry his dad died and I don't know where in the timeline that fits between auction, repeated assurances of payment which were never kept or simply ignored, etc, but I simply feel I do not want to bid in an auction where I am treated in a manner I feel is not professional. So sue me...
As far as the Legendary thread and not wading in, I've voiced my opinion before and I think you know how I feel.

tbob
02-13-2010, 08:27 PM
No good deed goes unpunished. Ridiculous.

Wow, someone's been to see "Wicked..."

tbob
02-13-2010, 08:34 PM
Bob,

Wasn't there a thread in which you previously logged this complaint, and in the course of the thread it was revealed that the father of the owner of the auction house recently had died? I honestly don't remember the exact specifics, and forgive me if I'm off a bit (or totally wrong), but I think the timeline of the auction ending and the death was pretty close.

Rob- I believe there was a span of more than a couple of months. It's not that big of a deal and I appreciate your kind, albeit tongue in cheek, gesture which I have returned, but I think that if you give someone your word in business you should follow through.

calvindog
02-13-2010, 08:44 PM
Bob, their auction appears to be clean which is more than I can say for 90% of the auctions going on presently. That should be a reason enough to support them. And we're talking ten bucks here -- not money that they overcharged you but money they were willing to give you for free. I guess everyone has their windmills to tilt at but I just don't see this one as worth getting upset about, you know?

tbob
02-13-2010, 08:50 PM
Bob, their auction appears to be clean which is more than I can say for 90% of the auctions going on presently. That should be a reason enough to support them. And we're talking ten bucks here -- not money that they overcharged you but money they were willing to give you for free. I guess everyone has their windmills to tilt at but I just don't see this one as worth getting upset about, you know?

Jeff- I agree with you. Life is too short and I should have just quietly deleted their link from my list of auctions I participate in instead of posting.
Cat missed the point, it's not about the $10, I piss more than that off every day, it's the issue of customer service, but you are right when you say that I shouldn't go all Don Quixote.
It isn't good customer service though....

Rich Klein
02-14-2010, 06:01 AM
I'm glad you came to your senses on this. However; the young man is just that young (I think he's 25), and may have forgotten to send you your money. Did you write a nice email reminding him about that or was that a one and done e-mail. I'm sorry you felt disrespected on this and that's what this is really about isn't it?

Regards
Rich

egbeachley
02-14-2010, 12:00 PM
I'm glad you came to your senses on this. However; the young man is just that young (I think he's 25), and may have forgotten to send you your money. Did you write a nice email reminding him about that or was that a one and done e-mail. I'm sorry you felt disrespected on this and that's what this is really about isn't it?

Regards
Rich

Rich, he was not promised the money back from the Auction House. Some other folks told him he should get one.

Could it be that the Auction House, after sending some postage refunds, realized that he would be refunding back more than he earned and stopped it before he went under?

tbob
02-14-2010, 01:24 PM
Rich, he was not promised the money back from the Auction House. Some other folks told him he should get one.

Could it be that the Auction House, after sending some postage refunds, realized that he would be refunding back more than he earned and stopped it before he went under?

Eg- actually they DID promise a couple of times to get the refund right out but never followed through.

uniship
02-15-2010, 01:17 PM
Geesch Tbob - let this one go. The man's father passed away.

ullmandds
02-15-2010, 01:28 PM
"We're living in a society here!"

Robextend
02-15-2010, 01:58 PM
"We're living in a society here!"

George Costanza?

barrysloate
02-15-2010, 02:07 PM
Costanza it is!

ullmandds
02-15-2010, 02:41 PM