PDA

View Full Version : Posting topics in 100 years...

drdduet
02-11-2010, 12:34 PM
What will our vintage card collecting great grandchildren be posting here in 100 years?

I'd imagine many of the same issues, except that it'll include current cards...pre-war cards may start deteriorating, even in their tombs, certified autograph cards of the period big stars may take center stage...

One thing for certain is that the hobby will be 100 years older in 100 years.

D. Bergin
02-11-2010, 12:50 PM
I've just found 15 monster boxes of 120 year-old 1989 Donruss Baseball Cards in my Great, Great Granddaddy's attic.

Would it be more economical for me to donate them to the local Boy Scout Troop, or should I just use them as recycled heating fuel in my new-fangled trash to direct clean energy furnace?

rhettyeakley
02-11-2010, 12:54 PM
It's funny but I think some of the older cards may hold up better over time than a lot of the newer ones. Old cardboard by itself is fairly inert. On the other hand I found a box buried in my closet the other day with some crappy 1991 or 1992 draft picks cards (Classic) and when I went to look through the cards (just for old times sake) the gloss on the cards have permanantly fused all the cards together. So, now I have brick with Dikembe Mutombo's ugly mug on it.
-Rhett

D. Bergin
02-11-2010, 12:57 PM
I've just found this vintage photo in the bargain basement bin at an antique shop. I think it bears a striking resemblance to early Post-PED Era HOF'er Chase Utley.

What do you guys think?

http://blog.robertlafollette.com/images/4823.jpg

scooter729
02-11-2010, 12:59 PM
Nah, Utley's ears are all different than that picture.

drdduet
02-11-2010, 01:02 PM
The period seems correct, cap and leggings, uniform all appear turn of the century +/- ten years.

bmarlowe1
02-11-2010, 01:22 PM
A seller on eBay claims this is a rare old photo of George W. Bush. It sure does look like him to me. Any opinions?

Anthony S.
02-11-2010, 02:06 PM
Whilst our great-grand uncle insisted upon having his/their extensive collection cryogenically frozen with him/them at a secret laboratory at a Ivy League university far superior to any school your ancestors attended, we have been fortunate enough to recover and defrost a significant portion of his/their collection, which we are offering for sale at this time. Our attorney, who graduated first in class from Oxford University (at Tenafly), informs us that while our great-grand uncle did technically marry his/their collection at a small private ceremony in the most expensive luxury box at Yankee stadium in 2017, followed by a delightful honeymoon in Gstaad, the cards were at no-time removed from their PSA holders. Holographic inquiries will be answered, in the strictest confidence, at a date in the distant future we deign convenient.

Jim VB
02-11-2010, 02:08 PM
?????

Sincerely,

Archive

barrysloate
02-11-2010, 02:47 PM
The world is coming to an end in less than a hundred years...

Peter_Spaeth
02-11-2010, 02:50 PM
The world is coming to an end in less than a hundred years...

December 23, 2012, to be precise.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_phenomenon

barrysloate
02-11-2010, 02:52 PM
Peter- I have a dentist's appointment that day...I better cancel!

Rob D.
02-11-2010, 02:53 PM
Whilst our great-grand uncle insisted upon having his/their extensive collection cryogenically frozen with him/them at a secret laboratory at a Ivy League university far superior to any school your ancestors attended, we have been fortunate enough to recover and defrost a significant portion of his/their collection, which we are offering for sale at this time. Our attorney, who graduated first in class from Oxford University (at Tenafly), informs us that while our great-grand uncle did technically marry his/their collection at a small private ceremony in the most expensive luxury box at Yankee stadium in 2017, followed by a delightful honeymoon in Gstaad, the cards were at no-time removed from their PSA holders. Holographic inquiries will be answered, in the strictest confidence, at a date in the distant future we deign convenient.

Totally unrealistic. No misspelled words or malaprops.

Peter_Spaeth
02-11-2010, 02:54 PM
Peter- I have a dentist's appointment that day...I better cancel!

If the world doesn't end maybe you could celebrate at Sparks.
:D:D

Anthony S.
02-11-2010, 03:08 PM
Totally unrealistic. No misspelled words or malaprops.

I wrote it in penultimate first, and then checked for errers...

barrysloate
02-11-2010, 03:13 PM
I predict the world will end due to a massive outbreak of dengue fever...nobody will be spared!

kkkkandp
02-11-2010, 06:18 PM
Fred Cowles' great-great-grandson will have taken over the posting on the 19th Century B/S/T, but the list will still consist of Kilroy, Lady Baldwin, Hecker, Browning, Swartwood, Treadway, Tebeau, Fogarty (1887, #102, sliding), McCormick, Deacon White and Lowe! ;)

oriolesbb6
02-11-2010, 06:23 PM
Will the cubs ever make a world champion pennant????

quinnsryche
02-11-2010, 07:04 PM
Will the cubs ever make a world champion pennant????

OH GOD, I hope not!!!! Cub fans are insufferable as it is, I can't imagine what they would be like with a once a century title under their belts.:eek::p:D

ethicsprof
02-11-2010, 11:28 PM
Does anyone have a copy(in good condition) of Dr. Darren Duet's monograph on The Taming of the Monster?
His contributions to the field really took off and changed the face of T206 studies once he gave up his medical practice and focused on his groundbreaking 'white borders' scholarly studies.

best,

Carter Nagy Arnold VI

drdduet
02-12-2010, 08:23 AM
I predict the world will end due to a massive outbreak of dengue fever...nobody will be spared!

I had that once and wasn't all that bad. At least it wasn't Lupus!

Gotta love those hemorrhagic viral illnesses--a highly contagious Ebola strain could put us in Zombieland. But for the greatest chance at an extinction level event (ELE) for humans I lean towards something happening like in The Happening.

drdduet
02-12-2010, 08:27 AM
Ah shucks, Barry A.

Too kind. Scholarly? C'mon I'm from Louisiana, nothing we do is scholarly. Heck if we can read its and abomination!

jj

Jim VB
02-12-2010, 08:33 AM
Ah shucks, Barry A.

Too kind. Scholarly? C'mon I'm from Louisiana, nothing we do is scholarly. Heck if we can read its and abomination!

jj

Hey! My son goes to college in Louisiana! (In fairness, his friends and room mates from the area, openly mock the LA public school system. Damn high-brow snobs!)

barrysloate
02-12-2010, 08:54 AM
Darren- I thought you could only catch dengue in areas with a high mosquito density, like Africa. Does Louisiana have the same kind of climate?

drdduet
02-12-2010, 09:54 AM
Any body have the details of the huge T206 Piedmont find in Japan following the ELE of 2012. I have the B&L catalogue with the highlights of the recent offering, but I though I remembered seeing on youtube that there were about a 1000 Wagner portraits, not just 812 as listed in the catalog. I also recall that there were the new subjects previously unknown like the Wagner fielding--anybody have a hologram of it?

On another note, I was reading through the archives of the old Net 54. It's very interesting. It's hard to imagine that they were of the notion that they classified the T206 set based on the image on the front rather than the manufacturer on the back. Time and documentation really has shown it to be otherwise. My favorites are the T206 Coupon's and the T206 Ty Cobb's. It was great acquiring a Chase, and a Matty black hat with the Cobb back. To think it wasn't until 2044 that the known superprints showed up all with the Ty Cobb back.

I just finished my T206 Uzit set, it was a challenge. Good thing most people have no way of storing personal belongings cheaply or it would have cost me my flux capacitor. It's unfortunate that the Universal Sovereignty issued the recall of all Sovereign products in 2055--I must have had 3000 T206 Sovereign T206's. Well what else can you expect from the Sovereigns, eh?

Well I just received an I-note on my I-mo that the T206 Wagner fielding just sold for 3 trillion RMB's. I guess the master set will have to wait.

I will be visiting my great-great grandfathers consciousness today at the I-tomb--I know my ole doc duet will be interested in hearing this! Last time he says he remembers when Ebay and the Grading companies started!--and the first time the Saints won the Superbowl! I hate to tell him that last weekend we caught our limit of 2 speckled trout and 1 redfish where the Superdome used to be.

Just got 625 cards back from Beckett. The highlight was the PSA 8 (2nd generation holder) 1915 Cracker Jack Wood--it came back with the card being a BVG 8, but also the holder got a 9!!! We all know how tough some of those holders got hit during the global warm of 2010-2030 and immediately followed by the Near Ice Age. I'm siked that it got a 9! I'll be putting that one up on I-bay soon.

On the new BVG holders anybody else choose to have the GPS locator? My question is do you request the singular entity or group ID?

drdduet
02-12-2010, 09:57 AM
Yeah Barry S.

My career has taken me to Africa and South America several times, picked up in Brazil once.

But Louisiana, no mosquitos here--yeah right!

drdduet
02-12-2010, 10:01 AM
Hey Jim,

I'm sorry to hear that.

Really though, Louisiana has some great schools and excellent educators. I know for a fact that my medical education was second to none.

ethicsprof
02-12-2010, 12:57 PM
I-mo, I-tomb, I-bay.
can't stop laughing!

best,
barry

Jim VB
02-12-2010, 01:01 PM
I'm siked that it got a 9!

LOL! Is "siked" an indication of the direction our educational system is heading? ;)

barrysloate
02-12-2010, 01:45 PM
He got almost all the letters wrong!:confused:

drdduet
02-12-2010, 02:31 PM
I'm not so psyched about that.

barrysloate
02-12-2010, 02:36 PM
There ya' go!

Fred
02-12-2010, 02:45 PM
Hey Kevin,

My want list will probably shrink a little by the time I kick the bucket... I figure I should at least knock ONE of those players off my list, or I'll just cheat a little and accept the filler card I have and then remove the player from my list... Lowe and behold, the next time I see a player I need I'm going to tell my wife to shut up and not bother me until the auction is over...grumble, grumble....

Lordstan
02-12-2010, 03:37 PM
Hey did anyone see the new Coach's Corner Auction?:eek:

kkkkandp
02-12-2010, 03:37 PM
Now, who's really more important, Mrs. Cowles or Mr. Lowe? :)

Fred
02-12-2010, 04:07 PM
Easy choice.... I really like those albumen pictures of dead guys, especially that list I have put together... actually, there are many more...

Leon
02-12-2010, 04:52 PM
Well, after 101 yrs the FBI is still investigating Mastro. No indictments but the investigation is still going strong. :)

Jim VB
02-12-2010, 05:11 PM
Brett Favre, MVP of Super Bowl CXLIV, is pondering retirement!

Rob D.
02-12-2010, 05:21 PM
The debate about T206 wet transfers continues. Really a wet transfer or did water seep onto a stack of cards in a kid's pocket? Or maybe it was kerosene? Kool-aid?

David W
02-12-2010, 05:40 PM
It's funny but I think some of the older cards may hold up better over time than a lot of the newer ones. Old cardboard by itself is fairly inert. On the other hand I found a box buried in my closet the other day with some crappy 1991 or 1992 draft picks cards (Classic) and when I went to look through the cards (just for old times sake) the gloss on the cards have permanantly fused all the cards together. So, now I have brick with Dikembe Mutombo's ugly mug on it.
-Rhett

Ebay write up 2110.

While tearing down an old garage at my great uncles house, we discovered the foundation was made up of a seemingly indestructible glossy paper sort of brick. While the mortar is long gone, these bricks are still in good condition. Each brick has a picture of a baseball, basketball, or football player. I am offering these one of a kind collectibles as one lot. There are approximately 850 in this lot.

Peter_Spaeth
02-12-2010, 06:42 PM
Bert Blyleven finally makes the Hall of Fame.

ethicsprof
02-12-2010, 06:56 PM
B and L Auctions becomes part of the Dow after its most successful year ever, handling the auction of 10 most coveted T206 Wagners, just a few days after the DJIA passes the one million mark for the first time in history.
China and the U.S. leaders celebrate the occasion over a feast of delicacies
prepared by P.F. Chang VI.

best,
barry