PDA

View Full Version : Since there's a buzz going regarding Baseball Photos, I felt this thread is timely.

thekingofclout
02-10-2010, 05:45 PM
It's really not as complicated as you may think...

If you're not sure about an autograph, you send it to PSA or JSA. Even if you ARE sure. you still send it in eventually.

Same goes for photos. Unless the caption is embedded in the photo (TYPE 3) than send it in. Now, a dose of common sense should be used here. If it's a HOF player, historic moment, or a very rare image of a dead-ball player, etc. by all means SEND THEM IN. If it's more of a sentimental favorite, I don't feel that would be necessary.

There are many other factors involved when determining if a photo is a TYPE I or 2. Send it in to PSA and let Marshall Fogel & Henry Yee inform you as to what you have. Pricing is very reasonable and I do believe there are multiple discounts, not to mention the value and ease of selling when you choose to do so.

When the time comes for me to sell my collection off, even if it's just a few at a time, you can bet your a*s that they will be authenticated by PSA in order to secure buyer confidence and maximize value. No question about it.

I'm always happy to help the best I can for any board member if you want an honest "free" second opinion on a photo. Send hi-res scans FRONT & BACK to:

thekingofclout@yahoo.com

Best regards, Jimmy

"Hopefully I did not offend anyone, I guess I am just too passionate about my beloved Sports Photos! Rhys Yeakley"

Also, I love the above statement by Rhys. Met him at the Nat'l and did some business with him. A terrific guy with the same passion that more and more fellow board members are starting to have regarding this great sector of the hobby.

One more thing...

Believe me, it's worth taking the time to learn enough to be able to bid with some confidence. Especially since the thousands of photos that are available on ebay and from auction houses. Many gems can be bought for the $10-100 range. There are terrific images for any budget. What other sector of the hobby can make that claim?

Collecting these incredible relics will bring more pleasure to you than you can possibly imagine at this time, and I'm sure a lot of you guys that started collecting photos in the last year or two will concur!

Forever Young
02-10-2010, 06:27 PM
It's really not as complicated as you may think...

If you're not sure about an autograph, you send it to PSA or JSA. Even if you ARE sure. you still send it in eventually.

Same goes for photos. Unless the caption is embedded in the photo (TYPE 3) than send it in. Now, a dose of common sense should be used here. If it's a HOF player, historic moment, or a very rare image of a dead-ball player, etc. by all means SEND THEM IN. If it's more of a sentimental favorite, I don't feel that would be necessary.

There are many other factors involved when determining if a photo is a TYPE I or 2. Send it in to PSA and let Marshall Fogel & Henry Yee inform you as to what you have. Pricing is very reasonable and I do believe there are multiple discounts, not to mention the value and ease of selling when you choose to do so.

When the time comes for me to sell my collection off, even if it's just a few at a time, you can bet your a*s that they will be authenticated by PSA in order to secure buyer confidence and maximize value. No question about it.

I'm always happy to help the best I can for any board member if you want an honest "free" second opinion on a photo. Send hi-res scans FRONT & BACK to:

thekingofclout@yahoo.com

Best regards, Jimmy

"Hopefully I did not offend anyone, I guess I am just too passionate about my beloved Sports Photos! Rhys Yeakley"

Also, I love the above statement by Rhys. Met him at the Nat'l and did some business with him. A terrific guy with the same passion that more and more fellow board members are starting to have regarding this great sector of the hobby.

One more thing...

Believe me, it's worth taking the time to learn enough to be able to bid with some confidence. Especially since the thousands of photos that are available on ebay and from auction houses. Many gems can be bought for the $10-100 range. There are terrific images for any budget. What other sector of the hobby can make that claim?

Collecting these incredible relics will bring more pleasure to you than you can possibly imagine at this time, and I'm sure a lot of you guys that started collecting photos in the last year or two will concur!
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Dittely Ditto on all aspects even that Rhys is a nice guy:) JK Rhys! HAHA
If fact..I have bought from Ryths too...healthy debates are always good and Ryths is good peeps.

If you want a 3rd opinion....I would be happy to buy...I mean give you my 1 cent too. ;)

weino23@hotmail.com

batsballsbases
02-10-2010, 06:50 PM
Hi Jimmy,
Im having a problem if this is type 1 or Type 2 Maybe you can help me out!:D:D:D Keep up the good work on the photos I love everyone you post!:eek::eek: Your Pal Al

Ladder7
02-11-2010, 08:36 AM
Love the old photos too now -more than my cards even. They're a lot larger and easier to see too.

Recently, I sent a stack of 8x10s to Beckett and can't wait to see the results.

whitey19thcentury
02-11-2010, 08:36 AM
About 3-4 years ago, I sold off most of my post-1950 Pirates memorabilia (aside from the majority of my game used/worn collection), and concentrated on early Pirates photography, with a concentration on team/ballpark images.

I have spent anywhere from $50-thousands on vintage photos, and it is truly the only sector of any hobby where you can have that big of price range and still have a very quality item.

The majority of items I get framed and matted for display. I picked up a nice fold out photo of a 1909 scene of Forbes Field I have never seen before. This image came out of a book. I bought it off of Rhys for I believe $25. I got it framed and matted and it looks great.

Here's another example of a cheap photo I bought with Pirates relation. This was a plate in an 1889 book. I am going to get it framed and matted, as well. I spent under $100 for this and several other team images from the same book.

Leon
02-11-2010, 08:50 AM
I have exactly one photo in my collection. It is the only thing hanging on my office wall. Shown before but here it is again.....It has been professionally cleaned and re-framed, as the original frame didn't come with it in the first place.

batsballsbases
02-11-2010, 08:55 AM
Leon,
Would this photo now fall under the catagory of professionally altered:eek::eek: Just had to throw that in!;);) Beautiful photo and a great piece!

perezfan
02-11-2010, 09:31 AM
Leon...

Never get tired of seeing that magnificent piece. Is the frame an "old-style" newly manufactured frame, or is it an actual antique frame you found to accomodate the picture?

Either way, it looks amazing...

Ladder7
02-11-2010, 09:56 AM
His only photo is over one hundred photos. Stellar

Leon
02-11-2010, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys. I have told the story before but I got it from a board member that had it on consignment from another Boston area collector. It came from a Hunts auction about 10 yrs ago, originally. When I say originally I mean it was consigned to them from the estate of Nixey Callahan, the Chicago manager and player. When I received the photo the original frame had already been replaced. I had a different frame put on it which looks sort of period (at least to me). Also, this photo had been sent to Graphic Conservation, out of Chicago, before I ever got it. It is the place many pieces in our hobby get sent to be cleaned. They did a tiny bit of inpainting to a couple of very small areas and also stabilized and cleaned it. It is now right behind me every day as I sit at my office desk. I had literally waited 8 yrs to find the right piece for the 1 wall I wanted to put something on, in my office. Here is a poor scan of it in it's new frame but I think you can get an idea of the frame and the fact it looks a bit better than it did. Everything about it is archival quality. And the glass is some new anti-glare, archival glass that keeps out the sun etc....though of course it is far away from any direct sunlight.

So, yes, I guess it is professionally altered but in a good way. Photos of it do absolutely no justice and many times I will get close to it and stare at it...it really is a great piece, if I do say so myself!!