PDA

View Full Version : Pawn Stars Fake Pete Rose Cards

Abravefan11
02-09-2010, 02:33 PM
Did anyone else see the guy trying to sell several fake Pete Rose cards on the TV show Pawn Stars last night?

They were obvious fakes and were explained to the seller to be such. The troubling part to me was after being told this his response wasn't to take his loss but rather "I'll sell them somewhere else."

Orioles1954
02-09-2010, 03:26 PM
Tim,

They actually didn't appear that obviously fake. 1967 had a lot of QC issues and such coloring was not uncommon. I'm not saying they're real, but holding the cards would have been the deciding factor for me. It appeared that neither party knew much about baseball cards. Regardless, even if they were real, we're looking at 100-125?

mintacular
02-09-2010, 04:09 PM
The cards did not look all that centered and all that sharp, probably EX-MT. So I disagree with the owners' saying since the cards looked "perfect" they were obvious fakes. Without holidng them, it's hard to say, perhaps the owner though in person did notice obvious color issues and they were indeed fakes but as a tv viewer hard to make that call...How many fake '67 roses are out there? I know the '63 is readily faked, but that one too?

Abravefan11
02-09-2010, 05:34 PM
For the record I couldn't tell if they were good with the few quick shots on TV. According to Rick (the Pawn Shop owner) they were obvious fakes.

I agree neither party really seemed to know what they were talking about but if I had to place a bet I would think Rick was right. If you've watched enough of the episodes he seems to know the tell tale signs of fake vs original for a broad range of things.

Rob D.
02-09-2010, 05:37 PM
My impression of the owner of the cards was that he wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.

"If these are fake, then what's real? Is my wife real? Is the cat real?"

Nice logic, Einstein.

teetwoohsix
02-10-2010, 12:55 PM
I've been meaning to go into this pawn shop just to see if they do have anything pre-war(cards,of course,or other related items).
When I do,I will post about what I saw(or bought:D).
Sincerely,Clayton

D. Bergin
02-10-2010, 01:03 PM
I've been meaning to go into this pawn shop just to see if they do have anything pre-war(cards,of course,or other related items).
When I do,I will post about what I saw(or bought:D).
Sincerely,Clayton

Certainly something I would be curious about.

Cool show but I would like to see more about the place on the selling side of things.

How often do they actually realize their estimated values when they try to turn something that comes into the shop?

They do have an Ebay store which occasionally has some neat things when not over-populated by Pawn Stars souvenir trinkets.

GrayGhost
02-10-2010, 02:25 PM
That show is GREAT. Chumlee and the Old Man are my favorites..haha.

They r replaying that episode tomorrow night, and I hope to watch it then.

pow323
02-10-2010, 03:05 PM
That sounds good Clayton! Please let us know what you find. I thought about calling them to see if they had any prewar cards but have not done it yet. I like that show also! Good luck Clayton!

sox1903wschamp
02-10-2010, 06:31 PM
My impression of the owner of the cards was that he wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.

"If these are fake, then what's real? Is my wife real? Is the cat real?"

Nice logic, Einstein.

I was watching and absolutely busted a gut laughing when I heard this.

canjond
02-10-2010, 06:52 PM
The show is great. One of the original episodes from season 1 had a person trying to sell a '51 signed Yankee ball. While I remember the ball appearing to be authentic, the seller wanted some huge amount (like 20k or something)

asoriano
02-10-2010, 09:18 PM
I can't get enough of this show. Actually, I just bought the first season on DVD via eBay.

The Rose cards were interesting, but I really liked the "helicopter" Rick purchased for $10,000.

American Pickers is a pretty neat show as well.

mintacular
02-10-2010, 09:53 PM
addictive. I like Pawn Stars more than Pickers though.

Rob D.
02-11-2010, 05:05 AM
I had high hopes when I saw previews for American Pickers, but I just don't find those two guys nearly as likeable as the guys in Pawn Stars. In fact, after watching a few shows, I'm close to really not liking them.

BTW, a friend visited the Pawn Stars shop not too long ago when she was in Las Vegas and had a picture taken with the old man. She said she was very surprised how much smaller the shop is in real life as opposed to how it appears on the show.

Abravefan11
02-11-2010, 06:15 AM
The guy on Pawn Stars finding out his gun was a reproduction was the best reaction ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OutJLu6VlwU

bigtrain
02-13-2010, 04:08 PM
What stuck out to me was the way the owner handled these "valuable" cards, shuffling them like he about to flip them against a wall, and the "They've been sitting in my garage for years" line. Anybody else store their cards in the garage? In an empty paint can maybe?

pgellis
02-13-2010, 05:35 PM
I really dislike the guys from Pickers as well. They are obviously taking advantage of the elderly. Basically forcing themselves into peoples houses, barns, etc. and offering pennies on the dollar for antiques. They never disclose what they think something is worth. Pure scum.

On the other hand, the Pawn Star guys always have the person trying to sell something to them present when they bring in an expert to place a value on a piece. Both parties get to hear what a piece might be valued at. That is the way to do it.

Volod
02-18-2010, 03:42 PM
Seems to me that too many of the sellers of quality items walk away with little objection to the shop owners' lowball evaluation of their stuff. I wonder if the show's producers might be buying the stuff above what the shop offers just to get the "talent" into camera range.

prewarsports
02-18-2010, 04:09 PM
I am from Maine have a little experience with Real life Antique "Pickers". They are generally looked at as the scum of the Earth who show up 2 hours early to Yard Sales and rummage through peoples stuff often without permission or tact. The two guys on the show are better than any I have met but they still come across as just incredibly annoying as they impose themselves on other people and then act all put out if they cant buy your stuff for 1/10 its value. The tall skinny guy is much nicer than the short fat one, but pickers in general are just a small step up from Carneys. What I dont get is why they dont buy more. They must spend a FORTUNE on gas in that huge van while driving around for days before they buy something. I bet their big scores barely pay for their gas bill.

As for Pawn Stars, I like the show. I get the impression that Rick is a pretty fair guy who often pays well for the stuff he wants. In many ways that show is a breath of fresh air because they allow the sellers to stand right there and hear the expert appraisals before the negotiations begin.

Best quote ever was when he said something like "A Pawn Shop owner who trusts his customers is out of business REAL quick".

Rhys Yeakley

Rob D.
02-19-2010, 06:54 AM
Rhys,

I've had similar thoughts about Pickers: How do these guys make a living? Many times the synopsis of a trip will show an item that they bought for $40 was sold for $100, a $20 item for $50, etc. Given that they're not dealing in very big volume (at least on the show), I wonder how they can make a living. Even taking into account that in real life they're buying more stuff, it doesn't seem like they're turning over enough inventory at high enough margins.

D. Bergin
02-19-2010, 07:48 AM
Rhys,

I've had similar thoughts about Pickers: How do these guys make a living? Many times the synopsis of a trip will show an item that they bought for $40 was sold for $100, a $20 item for $50, etc. Given that they're not dealing in very big volume (at least on the show), I wonder how they can make a living. Even taking into account that in real life they're buying more stuff, it doesn't seem like they're turning over enough inventory at high enough margins.

Honestly, some of the stuff I've seen them buy. I'd have a hard time believing they were able to turn it over at all. :confused:

D. Bergin
02-19-2010, 07:54 AM
Seems to me that too many of the sellers of quality items walk away with little objection to the shop owners' lowball evaluation of their stuff. I wonder if the show's producers might be buying the stuff above what the shop offers just to get the "talent" into camera range.

I don't know. For a pawn shop, it seems to me they are overpaying for a lot of the stuff that comes in. You need to turn stuff over quickly in order to make any money and cover your overhead, and most of the time that means you're not going to realize anywhere near a retail price for it.

I do think some of the stuff that walks in there is strictly for exposure or as a publicity stunt. Did anybody think Rick was ever going to pony up over 3/4 of a million dollars for the Arthur C. Clarke sunken treasure find that failed to meet it's reserve in a previous auction?

nebboy
02-19-2010, 08:08 AM
I had to watch the replaying with the Rose Cards episode to see if I see what Rick saw. Only thing that jumped out as BIG flag, was that everone of the cards had the same exact centering on all the cards.
I do watch this show but you do have to take into account that what you see on is a TV show. It has been stagged and edited. But its still a fun watch.

slidekellyslide
02-19-2010, 08:56 PM
Rhys,

I was anxiously awaiting this series and after I watched the first episode I was a bit put off at how these guys operated so I found the History Channel forums to see what others were saying and I've stuck around since then. They aren't showing everything because some of the people who have been "picked" have had relatives show up to tell you what they aren't showing...one guy sold them his tin toys, but you don't see that...all you see is them buying an old Mobil Oil can...possibly/probably an edit job after History found out the family was pissed... The last episode I watched there was an old opera/movie house with a bunch of old posters underneath the stage...this place is not really an old shuttered opera house it's actually an antique store and the guy was probably storing these movie posters under the stage. And why wouldn't they just buy the crap out of those when the guy told them he'd sell them for $25???? Oh yeah, and that gal in the small town that lived in an old warehouse like building? Friend of the family of one of the pickers...yet they made it seem like this was some hidden away place that their secretary found for them. It was all staged.

There is also a forum for Pawn Stars over there and while that show is more interesting than American Pickers much of it is staged also. The old Coke Machine they bought and had restored magically turned into a completely different model of machine...The guy who traded the gun for the guitar actually works in the guitar shop where the guitar he traded for came from..they had it on their website for over a year. That pinball machine they bought a few weeks ago for $1,000 that cost them $3,000 to restore and the guy told them they could get $5,000 for it...what world are they living in??? You can get a total restore of a vintage pinball for way less than 3 Grand, and that particular game isn't worth more than $700 completely restored.

I know they can't know everything, but those baseball cards looked real to me...I DVR'ed the show and watched it on a 52 inch HDTV and they looked authentic to me when I paused it and took a good look.

All that said the show is still interesting and I love watching it. I still watch American Pickers too, but it's more like watching a train wreck and I can't avert my eyes.

Davino
06-29-2014, 05:42 PM
I like Pawn Stars, too, but wish they would show the sales end instead of always buying, as someone mentioned.

KCRfan1
06-29-2014, 08:22 PM
My wife has been thru the Pickers store in Iowa. She said the store was small with an older woman behind the counter. My wife said she asked the woman a question, and got a very rude answer. The wife did not stay in the store long and certainly did not buy anything. I have not watched that show since. Pawn Stars I will always try to catch. I would like to go have a beer with Rick and the guys. They would have some great stories.....

bnorth
06-30-2014, 05:04 AM
My wife has been thru the Pickers store in Iowa. She said the store was small with an older woman behind the counter. My wife said she asked the woman a question, and got a very rude answer. The wife did not stay in the store long and certainly did not buy anything. I have not watched that show since. Pawn Stars I will always try to catch. I would like to go have a beer with Rick and the guys. They would have some great stories.....

Sorry to hear about the bad experience in Iowa. Frank and my cousin are very good friends.

KCRfan1
07-01-2014, 04:59 AM
I'm in retail Ben. I know that it is hard to be " on " 100% of the time. People have good days and off days and I need to take a second look at American Pickers. Individuals working a counter in retail, or any business, become the face of that establishment. While the Pickers store may be small in size, there is such high visiblility with any position there. I / my wife should have given this woman the benefit of the doubt. We have been on this planet long enough to know this. Thanks for my reality check. :)