PDA

View Full Version : Coaches Corner strikes again...indirectly

LEIDEMEG
02-04-2010, 11:06 AM
Guys, funny situation on an auction that was on ebay yesterday. I mainly post here on prewar but one of my other passions is the 1960 and 1961 fleer greats autographed set I am trying to put together. I need about 8 of the theroretically "possible"s 93 or so autographed cards to complete the 61 fleer set. Most of the final ones I need are extremely tough and are not around or few and far between and pretty pricey.

Ie...Cobb, Melillo, Rixey(died 1963), Dazzy Vance(died 1961)..etc. Two on my list from the 60 Fleer set are Rixey and Vance. Anyway, last night I am doing my once a week search on ebay and up for auction from a seller is a 1960 and 1961 Fleer signed Dazzy Vance and a 1961 fleer signed Eppa Rixey. My eyes almost jumped out of my head. Until two things struck me. The first, the signatures were bad attempts at a forgery. Secondly, I know from research and talking to others who collect the 61 Fleer set that the set was not released until the summer of 61. Dazzy died in February 61, so an impossible signature.

I called the gentleman, an extremely nice guy who immediately told me they were purchased thru an auction with Coach's Corner. I told him the situation and he was in shock and removed the listings minus one of them which currently has a bid and he is contacting the bidder. He was suprised at the price he paid which he stated was around $50 for the Rixey card and $60 for the Vance cards, the only time he participated in an auction of theirs.

Anyway, not sure how these guys are still able to get away with this stuff!

George

Ladder7
02-04-2010, 11:36 AM

Jim VB
02-04-2010, 11:45 AM
Anyway, not sure how these guys are still able to get away with this stuff!

George

"There's a sucker born every minute."

P.T. Barnum (disputed, but still funny.)

They get away with it because they cater to the uninformed. They market themselves to "everyman" who wants a deal, but doesn't want to bother with the accumulation of knowledge necessary to know what they're buying. People who think they are students of the game, because they know the names, think they can pick up a Ruth or Gehrig signed ball for a couple of hundred bucks and they end up getting scammed. But because their interest is passing, many of these customers never even find out they were scammed.

Then the stuff hits the market a second time.

Brian Van Horn
02-04-2010, 11:56 AM
I don't collect autographs, but the one transaction I had with Coach's Corner was a purchase of 26 E126 cards for a little over $200.00 about 13 years ago. I had no problem with the transaction.