PDA

View Full Version : Drum Pouches and a 1876 Tobacco Tax stamp

Pup6913
02-03-2010, 08:26 PM
I am recycling this thread instead of starting a new one. I have gotten a few Drum pouches and a 1876 Tobacco tax stamp. Very neat items and the last pickups for a while. They are on the 2nd page of the thread at the bottom post. Hope all have enjoyed the items I have been lucky enough to find and thanks to everyone for the help.

I have added more to my small collection of tobacco era stuff. I got the Mayo pouch but need help in determining if the rest of it is worth getting. These small riverside community antique shops are great. Starts at post #9 and #10

Alright so yesterday I got a tobacco pack from an antique shop. Today I got done early and hit the shop again to finish my round in there. This is what I found.

Helmar Cigarettes unopened pack completely sealed (minus a bit of celophane)

2 Tuxedo tobacco tins (Any info for these would be great)

Mayo Cut Plug tin (8x5x3 are the dimensions)

A minor league team photo of Togo KS team??? Has a blank back and the studio was Rollows Art Studio. I got 2 names off of it from a piece of card stock on back holing it into a old frame.

Back row L-R 2nd player is Harry Bell and last player in back row is Earnest Bell.

I would appreciate any help with these items as far as value, idenification, and wether they may have or do contain items.

Pup6913
02-03-2010, 08:27 PM
The other tins

canjond
02-03-2010, 11:34 PM
Tuxedo tins only somewhat elated to baseball because of the signs... thy never produced cards. Regardless, they have little value. The Helmar box is too late for card distribution and is worth about $10 or so. The Mayo lunch box was used for distribution of the N series cards, but are common. In that condition, I would pay less than $30 for it...

Pup6913
02-04-2010, 07:02 AM
Thank you Jon for the info. Looks like I did okay on those.

Anyone help with the ohoto. I know there were alot of home teams back then but am hoping someone has something to help.

slidekellyslide
02-04-2010, 08:05 AM
The photo is not a minor league team, it's a town team. Appears to be circa 1900-1910..probably right in the middle there. Town team photos like that usually bring about $50 unless you get two guys from Togo or Kansas that want it badly. Clint Hromek may know more about the team.

Pup6913
02-04-2010, 08:57 AM
Thanks Dan. In the bottom row third guy in (the younger looking one) He looks familiar like I have seen him in another photo before. Maybe not. anyone got a possible ID

teetwoohsix
02-04-2010, 10:14 AM
Regardless of what these items are worth,it's a nice group of antiques!!I wish I could help on the team photo,but unless it's the obvious,I'm just not good at it.I wonder about the guy in the lighter uniform-does this signify him as the pitcher,or is there another meaning for this?
Take it easy-
Sincerely,Clayton

canjond
02-04-2010, 10:32 AM
Thank you Jon for the info. Looks like I did okay on those.

Anyone help with the ohoto. I know there were alot of home teams back then but am hoping someone has something to help.

Glad to hear. Also, always good to see someone new collecting cigarette packs!

Pup6913
02-04-2010, 08:25 PM
And so today I hit a small town shop and got a Mayo cut plug pouch for the collection. Here is a pic of it as well as some other items I seen in there. I do need a value on the Drum Pack please. It is full but the tax stamp has been broken. I think the price is reasonable but I don't know for sure. The other packs are empty and have foam cubes inserted in them for asthetics.

Pup6913
02-04-2010, 08:28 PM
mayo pouch

canjond
02-04-2010, 08:29 PM
Andrew - the other packs are not really worth the price tags on them (The Murad is worth about what's being asked so not a great deal). The Drum pouch, however, is a nice companion piece for the T206 and T205 sets. While it was, with almost cabsolute certainty, not used to distribute baseball cards, it's as close as you can get since there is only 1 known Drum cigarette pack and that one predates the card issue by over a decade. In that condition, I would estimate the Drum pack to be worth around $100.00 - $125.00.

ethicsprof
02-04-2010, 08:38 PM
I bought a great looking Drum pouch that i've already framed from a fellow
named Canfield !!!
Glad to see you on board with the packs, Andrew.

best,
barry

Pup6913
02-04-2010, 08:45 PM
Barry it is cheaper than cards at the moment and seems very available around here for some reason. Plus it breaks the monotony

ChiefBenderForever
02-04-2010, 08:59 PM
Helmar pack is sweet, smoke em if you got em!

batsballsbases
02-04-2010, 09:06 PM
Very nice items Andrew! Dont let the spelling police (Barry) catch you on monotony!;););)

Pup6913
02-05-2010, 07:31 AM
Thanks for the help guy's.

Jon I am going to print off the list of pack with pics and turn it into sort of a book that I can take with me into shops and stuff. I do believe there may have been a few Miners tobacco packs in there. I may be mistaken but I think thats what they said and I paid no attention to them. I hope they are because that would be neat.

Pup6913
02-05-2010, 08:00 AM
Here is the minor league photo framed and matted.

canjond
02-05-2010, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the help guy's.

Jon I am going to print off the list of pack with pics and turn it into sort of a book that I can take with me into shops and stuff. I do believe there may have been a few Miners tobacco packs in there. I may be mistaken but I think thats what they said and I paid no attention to them. I hope they are because that would be neat.

Andrew - sounds good. Miner's Extra packs are pretty scarce. I know of all 5-10 or so as of right now.

Pup6913
02-05-2010, 08:04 PM
New finds and this concludes my search for now as I blew my card money on these items over the last few days. Hope you guys enjoy the new finds.

Drum pouch full of tobacco 1910 tax stamp

Drum pouch empty same yr

1876 IRS tax Stamp for sale of Leaf tobacco (8x10 ish).
Man can you imagine what $25 a yr was to them back then to sell tobacco at a store.:eek: