PDA

View Full Version : T206 Red Murray - Looking Up??

mdschulze
02-03-2010, 11:00 AM
Can someone explain to me why Murray appears to be looking up in this card and are there any other examples from the T206 set that this has happend to? I don't really know about the printing procedures 100 years ago but I'm assuming it's some sort of allignment issue. I looked with a magnifier and there is no paper loss around his eyes. Also, I checked a few scans from different cards on Ebay and they look normal. Thanks for your input!

-Mike

(I've never attached an image to a post so let's see if it works... if not, I'll repost the scan)

T206Collector
02-03-2010, 11:19 AM
...there was a lot of discussion about Cobb's eyes on his red card. Some of the Cobb Red background cards look like Cobb is dying or dead, because his eyes are rolling back into his head.

Jacklitsch
02-03-2010, 11:26 AM
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g5/jacklitsch1/T206%20Graded/MurraySweaterEPDG.jpghttp://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g5/jacklitsch1/T206%20Graded/MurraySweaterPied.jpg

Leon
02-03-2010, 11:37 AM
another series but still Red...

http://luckeycards.com/pt2152.jpg

barrysloate
02-03-2010, 12:31 PM
Things are looking up for Red Murray!

ctownboy
02-03-2010, 02:10 PM
My question is not about his eyes but the two different sweaters he is wearing. Why didn't (couldn't) they have shown him in a single sweater? It is obvious they took the upper half of Murray and put him on top of the upper half of some other player but why?

David

tedzan
02-03-2010, 02:37 PM
I have 4 of these Murray cards......an EPDG, Piedmont 460, Sovereign 460 and a Sweet Caporal 460.

Three of these cards have his eyes looking straight ahead. The Sovereign has his BLUE eyes offset to
the top. The BLUE background is off-register on this card. The other three have perfect BLUE register.

Mike......Check your card's BLUE background register. It most likely is offset.

TED Z

mdschulze
02-03-2010, 06:14 PM
Ted you were dead on. After I looked closely with a magnifier, the blue profile is up and to the right just a hair. (By the way, mine is a SC 350/460). Thanks for everyone who posted the other Murrays as well.

David, I never paid close attention but I'm with you. It appears to me that they merged two different images. I'm curious as well if any member knows the history on this.

Thanks guys! -Mike

jlynch1960
02-04-2010, 06:26 AM
My question is not about his eyes but the two different sweaters he is wearing.

David

This was the Giant's style sweaters around 1909-11. Pictures are hard to find. Here's one of Mathewson from 1909 - although it's available in a larger format on Wikipedia under the "1912 World Series" article.

Actually, many of the portraits (cap, no cap) - Bridwell, Crandall, Doyle, Mcgraw, Murray, Schlei, Seymour, Wiltse show the sweaters. Kind of surprising no one has a set of studio portraits on which the lithographs were no doubt based.

ullmandds
02-04-2010, 06:31 AM
I've always wondered about those sweaters too...what a fashion foul!

ctownboy
02-04-2010, 10:03 AM
Thanks jlynch1960,

I have the T206 Doyle (but not THE Doyle) and he had that same looking sweater. I thought it was some sort of mistake by the printer now I see it was not a mistake by the printer but a mistake by someone else (maybe the designer had ADD?).

Oh well, now I know it wasn't just me who thought these looked odd and that there was a reason why these cards looked the way they do. Learned something new today.

Thanks again,

David

PS, has any of these sweaters ever come up for sale? Maybe they look better live and in person than they do on the cards and in that photo of Mathewson.