PDA

View Full Version : opinions on possible Goslin autograph

ecRich
02-01-2010, 09:13 PM
I have a small card of Goslin that I've had for 30+ years. On the back is a small signature of Leon Goslin. I always thought it was a collector from long ago who penned it. I saw an older Goslin autograph that looked sort of close to the one on the card. I don't think that it's the real deal, but it would be a nice surprise if it was. What do you guys think?
Thanks,
Rich

ecRich
02-06-2010, 02:35 PM
Bump
Does anyone have any thoughts on this. Help a dumb guy (autograph wise) out. Thanks

GoldenAge50s
02-06-2010, 03:35 PM
Here is an authentic, but enhanced, Goslin from a 1930 baseball I had. It was deemed authentic by PSA/DNA.

perezfan
02-06-2010, 04:08 PM
Here are a slew of authentic and unaltered Goslin signatures. I think yours has a slight shot at being an authentic (perhaps later in life) signature. But I wouldn't put much money on it, as this one is difficult to ascertain. Lots of exemplars to follow, so you be the judge...

perezfan
02-06-2010, 04:11 PM
More..... hope these help!

John V
02-06-2010, 04:17 PM
Another example.

sayhey24
02-06-2010, 04:25 PM
It seems as though Goslin almost always singed his name Goose, not Leon.

Am I crazy, or is that initial signature traced over?

Greg

perezfan
02-06-2010, 04:36 PM
The first ball pictured is traced over (enhanced). The back of the card in question is not traced. Was not sure which one you meant...

ecRich
02-06-2010, 08:30 PM
Thanks everyone for the responses. Here is my maybe Goslin signature and an early one from Bakers Handbook. I don't think the FBI is going to hire me as a handwriting expert, but they look sort of close. By the way the card is from 1929.
Rich

sayhey24
02-06-2010, 09:04 PM
Mark -- I did mean the original card signature when I asked about it being traced over -- i thought I saw some light pen marks sticking out from the dark pen, but I guess not.

Rich, the FBI will also not be hiring me, but a lot of the letters in the two examples you show look very different. The top of the first L on your card has a loop, nothing close to that on the L in the other signature. The bottom of the G on your card is almost closed, it's wide open on the other example. Both of your N's end with a distinct upstroke, the other example is just a weak squiggle for an N.

Please don't think I'm trying to be a naysayer, just trying to help you get to the bottom of this.

Greg

mr2686
02-07-2010, 09:56 AM
Rich, not sure if you'll be able to tell beyond a doubt without finding some additional "later in life" signatures. I myself have not seen any, especially signed Leon. With that said, the Goslin part of the signature does show some similarities with earlier ones, not exactly but enough to possibly consider his age at the time for the inconsistencies. From what I understand, he had to have a ghost signer later in life so I'm not sure how many signatures like this (that would show his age) you'll be able to find. Possibly on legal documents, etc.
Good luck and I hope you find that it's authentic.