PDA

View Full Version : George Burke type one photos

jeffmohler
02-01-2010, 09:07 PM
I have just started picking up a few type one photos. A few weeks ago there was a good thread on Burke photos, but not too much was shown on how to know which ones were type ones from the 1930s (which is my primary collecting time period.)

From what I can tell, the type one originals have type-writing on the back with the players name and a filing code. Do any of the type two photos have these markings on them? I have also noticed that there are larger photos for sale on ebay at times. Are the 8x10 photos type one as well, or is it just the smaller 4x6 examples.

How much do type one 4x6 commons go for?

Jeff

drc
02-01-2010, 10:21 PM
For Type I's look for his stamp with Belmove Ave Chicago address and clear images. These are type 1s. The vast majority of the photos with this stamp are type 1s.

The exception are Belmont Ave stamped photos with Pre 1920 images (Joe Jackson in Sox uni, Ty Cobb circa 1909). These were made in the 1930s but are second generation due to the reused images. These are scarce and have good value, and are worth picking up.

I dont know the values, but the smaller versions are worth picking up too. Again, look for the Belmont Ave stamp.

Forever Young
02-01-2010, 10:39 PM
I have just started picking up a few type one photos. A few weeks ago there was a good thread on Burke photos, but not too much was shown on how to know which ones were type ones from the 1930s (which is my primary collecting time period.)

From what I can tell, the type one originals have type-writing on the back with the players name and a filing code. Do any of the type two photos have these markings on them? I have also noticed that there are larger photos for sale on ebay at times. Are the 8x10 photos type one as well, or is it just the smaller 4x6 examples.

How much do type one 4x6 commons go for?

Jeff

Jeff,
This book is an absolute MUST when starting off with photos...I still use it daily. You will love it...nothing else compares(in my opinion); explains all the different news service history, individual photographers and stamps as they relate to the different time periods.
Ben

http://cgi.ebay.com/A-Portrait-of-Baseball-Photography-Vol-2-How-To_W0QQitemZ230430453367QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintage _Sports_Memorabilia?hash=item35a6b9ae77

GKreindler
02-10-2010, 08:48 PM
Jeff,

I have to agree to Ben - he does use it daily. When I met him for the first time in Cleveland last summer, he had a bound stack of papers that somewhat resembled Yee's book.

To be perfectly honest, it looked like he wiped his @$$ with it.

True story.

Graig

Forever Young
02-10-2010, 11:36 PM
Jeff,

I have to agree to Ben - he does use it daily. When I met him for the first time in Cleveland last summer, he had a bound stack of papers that somewhat resembled Yee's book.

To be perfectly honest, it looked like he wiped his @$$ with it.

True story.

Graig

Graig,
I am a firm believer that first impressions are important thus my adoption of three mottos: dress for success, always be prepared and TP-Never leave home without it. I am on my second book so I have some work to do before Baltimore.
Ben