PDA

View Full Version : Which auction house emails you the most?

calvindog
02-01-2010, 01:40 PM
Just got my fourth email from SCP in the past 86 minutes and at no point in the past few days have I placed a bid or been outbid. Just repetitive emails reminding me of all the things I'm missing by not focusing my day on SCP.

Which auction house harass the most? The least?

where the gold at?
02-01-2010, 01:50 PM
most:
1.Heritage
2. Scp
3. Mile high
4. Just collect

least:
1. huggins and scott
2. brockleman and luckey
3. everybody else

danc
02-01-2010, 01:57 PM
Ha and Memory Lane annoy me.

Anthony S.
02-01-2010, 02:01 PM
Leon was hanging from grappling hooks outside my living room window holding a placard that read "Try Grandslam Bids" yesterday afternoon. I thought that was inappropriate.

barrysloate
02-01-2010, 02:06 PM
Everytime SCP sends out an email I get it twice. And I get endless emails from Mears. They send me about four a day during an auction, and I still forget to bid.

Rob D.
02-01-2010, 02:06 PM
My kingdom for a Goodwin e-mail.

slidekellyslide
02-01-2010, 02:10 PM
Just got my fourth email from SCP in the past 86 minutes and at no point in the past few days have I placed a bid or been outbid. Just repetitive emails reminding me of all the things I'm missing by not focusing my day on SCP.

Which auction house harass the most? The least?

In the past week I've gotten three emails from Goodwin and Mears, one from Fusco and only one from SCP. Mile High on the closing day of an auction seems to send out tons of emails...and even though I'm signed up for Heritage auctions and have on occasion placed bids (no wins) I never get any emails from them...perhaps they go straight to my spam filter?

Leon
02-01-2010, 02:44 PM
Leon was hanging from grappling hooks outside my living room window holding a placard that read "Try Grandslam Bids" yesterday afternoon. I thought that was inappropriate.

The other alternative was to be in my car and run it into your house, acting like I just had a seizure, while plowing into your living room. I would then jump out with a big sign that said TRY GRAND SLAM BIDS NOW!! Now, that would have been inappropriate.
The grappling hooks tore my britches :).

batsballsbases
02-01-2010, 03:07 PM
The most
Heritage
Mile High
Hunts

The Least
Brockleman+Luckey
Barry Sloate
Mastro:eek::eek: OOPS did I say Mastro! Such a dirty word:D:D

Rob D.
02-01-2010, 03:37 PM
Jeff,

Maybe SCP bombards you with e-mails because they know so many other auctions houses have taken you off their lists. SCP simply is trying to fill the void that's been created.

rdwyer
02-01-2010, 04:32 PM
My cell phone provider nags me everyday with text msgs. Would gladly trade. :(

Orioles1954
02-01-2010, 04:38 PM
MEARS e-mails me about 10,000 a day.

vintagechris
02-01-2010, 04:55 PM
I get a bunch from the usual suspects. I don't really mind as it does help me remember to bid when I forget.

I do however get several from Coaches Corner who I have never ordered from, and never will. I don't know how they got my email. Seems like someone must have sold it to them or something. I just don't know how they could have gotten it. They are actually breaking SPAM laws as they do not offer anything to be removed from their list which is against the law. I even emailed them telling them to remove me and they keep sending me their crap.

Rob D.
02-01-2010, 05:11 PM
This link might be helpful:

http://www.ftc.gov/spam/

perezfan
02-01-2010, 06:55 PM
This week, it's SCP hands-down, as they're coming to me in pairs also.

Usually though, it's Mears (unless you count Ebay).

Ebay sends me daily suggestions of "other items I might like, based on my purchases". I have yet to bid on one, or even check one out. As an example, purchasing a Cap Anson item gives them cause to suggest I bid on a Cap & Gown set for Graduation.

Tsaiko
02-01-2010, 07:19 PM
My kingdom for a Goodwin e-mail.

Is he traditionally slow with email? I'm looking for a way to auction my cards and emailed him some questions about 3 weeks ago, but nada.

It must be my novice language, cause I've been ignored by others too.

There's a nice off ramp at the intersection of the 405 and 101, so I'll try to sell my cards there. :eek:

Rob D.
02-01-2010, 07:31 PM
Is he traditionally slow with email? I'm looking for a way to auction my cards and emailed him some questions about 3 weeks ago, but nada.

It must be my novice language, cause I've been ignored by others too.

There's a nice off ramp at the intersection of the 405 and 101, so I'll try to sell my cards there. :eek:

No, my experience with Bill is that he responds to e-mails quickly. When he barred me from his auctions but continued to send me e-mails about them, I e-mailed to ask that he stop. He responded the same day. He never did provide a reason for the whole banning thing, so the communication process was a little lacking there. I just assumed he didn't like some posts on the board and figured that if he didn't let me bid in his auctions, the criticism would stop.

I'm still trying to understand that logic.

If you're thinking of consigning any Lajoie cards, I'd be willing to make an offer on them, considering Bill has eliminated one of the more aggressive bidders on them from his auctions.

Tsaiko
02-01-2010, 08:22 PM
No, my experience with Bill is that he responds to e-mails quickly. When he barred me from his auctions but continued to send me e-mails about them, I e-mailed to ask that he stop. He responded the same day. He never did provide a reason for the whole banning thing, so the communication process was a little lacking there. I just assumed he didn't like some posts on the board and figured that if he didn't let me bid in his auctions, the criticism would stop.

If you're thinking of consigning any Lajoie cards, I'd be willing to make an offer on them, considering Bill has eliminated one of the more aggressive bidders on them from his auctions.

Oh brother, this is beyond my understanding...but I understand.

I mentioned this board. Only to say that I saw he was the choice, out of many others, by someone who did their homework.

Does everything in this country have to have some sort of political tint or taint on it.:rolleyes:

So a novice walks into a bar........,

Will keep you in mind on the LaJoies.

Rob D.
02-01-2010, 08:26 PM
Oh brother, this is beyond my understanding...but I understand.

I mentioned this board. Only to say that I saw he was the choice, out of many others, by someone who did their homework.

Does everything in this country have to have some sort of political tint or taint on it.:rolleyes:

So a novice walks into a bar........,

Will keep you in mind on the LaJoies.

Cutting away all the fat, I would think any auction house would at least extend a courtesy of a reply to a potentional consignor, even if the items in question weren't of interest to the auction house. My guess is your e-mail to Goodwin & Co. got lost. If you want to do business with them, I'd suggest you e-mail them again or call them.

cardinalcollector
02-02-2010, 09:42 AM
I've had nearly 3000 transactions on Ebay the last 10 years.

All St. Louis Cardinals related.

Every e-mail they send me under:

"other items you might like, based on your recent purchases"

includes an autographed Wayne Gretzky hockey puck

calvindog
02-02-2010, 09:45 AM
I just assumed he didn't like some posts on the board and figured that if he didn't let me bid in his auctions, the criticism would stop.

"No soup for you!"

Marketing genius can only take you so far, let's not forget that.

Jim VB
02-02-2010, 09:50 AM
He never did provide a reason for the whole banning thing, so the communication process was a little lacking there. I just assumed he didn't like some posts on the board and figured that if he didn't let me bid in his auctions, the criticism would stop.

I always assumed it had more to do with your literary style not matching with theirs. You know, sparse use of adjectives, poor verb conjugation, inadequate sentence structure, etc., etc., etc.

tinkereversandme
02-02-2010, 10:23 AM
SCP, Heritage and Memory Lane. I hate countdowns with a passion! Four hours left! Two hours left! One hour left! And honestly, I don't care if you are going to be in Seattle, WA for a buy show. E-mail in general annoys me (forwards, especially) so this grinds my gears (Family Guy, anyone?).

Larry

barrysloate
02-02-2010, 10:55 AM
Sparce?;)

Jim VB
02-02-2010, 11:11 AM
Sparce?;)

Sorry Mr. Sloate. All fixed. :mad:

barrysloate
02-02-2010, 11:19 AM
Jim- you know I hold you to a very high standard!

Jim VB
02-02-2010, 11:20 AM
I know you do. I'm just not sure why. ;)

ethicsprof
02-02-2010, 11:27 AM
I wish Sloate Auctions would bombard me with emails.
I do miss this one.
When ya comin' back, Barry?

best,
barry

barrysloate
02-02-2010, 11:33 AM
I don't know Barry, but when you're away for a long time you slip out of the hobby loop. I think I am closer to retirement than to another auction, for better or worse.

Jim- I hold you to a high standard because you are among the more literate posters on the board...how many ivy league schools did you say you went to?

ethicsprof
02-02-2010, 11:45 AM
I understand, ole friend, since you and i are mighty close to 60.
I'll still keep hoping to get that bombardment! :)
best,
barry

Jim VB
02-02-2010, 11:46 AM
Jim- I hold you to a high standard because you are among the more literate posters on the board...how many ivy league schools did you say you went to?

1. You're stretching the boundaries of my New Year's Resolution. (I already broke it once.)

2. I went to ALL of the Ivy League schools, at least once. I have tenure at none.

barrysloate
02-02-2010, 12:09 PM
I went to Harvard, but not to matriculate, just to buy some pot. Does that count?

Leon
02-02-2010, 12:47 PM
I went to Harvard, but not to matriculate, just to buy some pot. Does that count?

I matriculated once. Then I got a towel and cleaned it up.

barrysloate
02-02-2010, 01:08 PM
:eek::)

Bicem
02-03-2010, 04:46 PM

I was getting them too, but they seem to only come now if I am truly outbid on something.