PDA

View Full Version : Is this a Carl Horner Cabinet?

rman444
01-30-2010, 03:55 PM
The seller's title lists this cabinet as a "Carl Horner Cabinet" but then later in the description says that it is a "Carl Horner photo cabinet."

From what I know of this issue, they are not cabinets made and distributed by Carl Horner, but may be using images that were originally taken by Horner. Am I missing something? Seems like the seller chose his words carefully as well - at least in the description, maybe not so much in the title.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220546531995&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

prewarsports
01-30-2010, 04:17 PM
Richard

I am the seller and I probably could have gotten into more detail but there is not really much known about these so there is not much else to say. They are Horner images (of course) but the mounts do not have a Horner photo tag. They are not albumem photos, but they are also definately commercially made at the time period and since Horner owned the rights to his photos it is almost certain he made them for commercial distribution. I was not trying to carefully do anything to make it sell for more, but what you and me and anyone else who has ever owned one of these or seen one knows, there is almost nothing known about this set so it is hard to say exactly what it is.

I bought a few years back of Leon and Scotts auction. I would bet anything that at some point in the future someone finds an advertisement for these either from Horner or from a company that was selling them, but for now they are usually just described as Carl Horner cabinet photos with the caveat mentioned above that they are not albumem.

Rhys

caramelcard
01-30-2010, 04:47 PM
It's a photo attached to the cabinet backing?

barrysloate
01-30-2010, 04:51 PM
I've had them before and it's more like a printed photo glued to a thick backing. I also had no idea what they were.

NewEnglandBaseBallist
01-30-2010, 04:55 PM
1. It's a recognized set. Either produced by or inspired by Horner.

2. They are listed in the Standard Catalog as 1904 Anonymous Studio Cabinets.

3. Nothing shady going on here, Prewarsports has always been on the level in every dealing I've had with them.

caramelcard
01-30-2010, 04:55 PM
Thanks Barry,

I believe I use to have a Walsh. Never could find much info on it.

autograf
01-30-2010, 06:00 PM
I've had 2-3 of these over the years and the photos are called Horner because, in most cases, they match the photos on the W600's, many of which were taken by Carl Horner. I've only seen 8-10 different ones from this set. Slightly smaller than a W600 with the photo affixed. Closer to a T5 than a W600. Still a neat and very difficult to find set.

drc
01-30-2010, 07:33 PM
It's a legitimate item from the period stated in the auction. It has a mechanical print, not a photographic print, on a cardboard mount, and is comparable to a W600. They go for good money and are scarce. They are commonly nicknamed Horner Cabinets as they use his images. There's no doubt they were originally sold commercially, perhaps as premiums.

paul
01-30-2010, 09:32 PM
Here's one.

fkw
01-30-2010, 09:56 PM
I dont have my book, but I believe they are listed in the SCD Catalog under "Anonymous"

Ive owned 3-4 of them, but none now.

PS they are printed pictures on a heavy paper mount, not a real photograph

rman444
01-30-2010, 11:48 PM
Interesting. I stand corrected. If Horner took the pictures and Horner stuck them on the mount, then they are correctly called Horner cabinets!

drc
01-31-2010, 02:15 AM
I don't believe they were made by Horner. They were a commercial issue that likely paid Horner for the image rights. Some of the images were by Benjamin J. Falk, another well known photographer. The 'Horner Cabinets' is just a common nickname.

I usually judge these types of auction issues by pricing, and the final price seems fair for that it is. No harm, no foul as they say.