PDA

View Full Version : Pennant Help

MGHPro
01-30-2010, 01:45 PM
I dont collect pennants, but bought this one on ebay. A couple of questions

How old is it?

Its missing its tip, can it be replaced?

Any idea on value?

Thanks
Matt

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r193/mghproductions/yankes1.jpg

vintagesportflips
01-30-2010, 02:34 PM
I am sure someone with more expertise than me will know for sure, but I think this pennant is from 1950. I bid on one in an estate auction about a year ago, and I recall after the fact finding a Phillies pennant with the identical design expect with National League Champs. I don't know of any way to replace a tip.

perezfan
01-30-2010, 03:43 PM
Matt:

Tough to pinpoint a year as the Yanks won so many Pennants during this era. Safe bet that it's late '40s or more likely early '50s. This rather generic stadium design was used for a range of years and is rather common.

I would not bother restoring it... Resoration is frowned upon among pennant collectors and it's probably not worth salvaging this one, given the effort and cost one would have to incur. This pennant is worth under $100 even in NRMT condition, and this one is pretty worn out

Believe it or not, this pennant was once a deep blue color felt. The blue faded badly when exposed to sunlight (much more so than other colors). So it is common to find these in that bland/washed out grey color.

If you're collecting, I would hold out for a new one in better shape, rather than restore it. One will surely come along in the next 3 - 4 months, as these are fairly prevalent. If you're selling, and could get someone to fork over $30 for this one, you've done well...

ibuysportsephemera
01-30-2010, 04:21 PM
I have an identical one except that it is from the Brooklyn Dodgers and Ebbets Field. I always felt that it was from the 40's but it wouldn't surprise me if it was from the early 50's. Hope this helps.

Jeff

MK
01-30-2010, 05:12 PM
I believe this style was from the 1930's through the 50's. I have one of the Cubs which I think was from 1938. They had different styles from their pennant win in 1945, so this only leaves '38 or earlier. I also have seen them for the Giants (who won in 1936), one for the Reds 1939, for the Dodgers who won the pennant in 1941, and the Phillies (Whiz Kids 1950).

MGHPro
01-30-2010, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the help everyone. I thought is was cool even with the point missing.
Matt

mjkm90
01-31-2010, 05:38 AM
Matt, I would definately wait for a better one to come along.

Mike, the dating is tough. Some teams used multiple designs for the same championship year. Some with a specific date, others without.