PDA

View Full Version : Is Tim Herron of Chicago one of us?

Jacklitsch
01-29-2010, 11:39 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/ct-talk-tims-card-shop-0129-20100128,0,3827382.story

barrysloate
01-29-2010, 11:51 AM
I hope he has enough inventory to handle the deluge. Lucky guy.

kylebicking
01-29-2010, 11:55 AM
The store isn't very far from where I live. I've driven past it several times, but its always closed. I've always wondered what they had inside, and if there was anything "old". Might have to swing by for real sometime soon.

Matt
01-29-2010, 11:57 AM
I hope he has enough inventory to handle the deluge. Lucky guy.

I wonder how much business impact a Super Bowl commercial could have on a local card shop. I would think it would really only help companies that either are designed to distribute nationally, are internet based or have franchises all over. The impact of this commercial will make for an interesting business case study.

Fred
01-29-2010, 12:23 PM
Maybe he'll figure this out and make a few extra bucks on the side by selling T-shirts that say "I've been to Tim's Card Shop" or something like that. You have to figure people would be into that big time - they'd be able to say I've been to that card shop that was in the beer commercial during the superbowl. By the way. Are we allowed to type the word SUPERBOWL without having to fear retribution from the NFL? :confused: :eek:

Edited to add - Hey Kyle, could you please get me a t-shirt when you go to Tim's Card Shop?

whitehse
01-29-2010, 12:30 PM
The local Chicago television station visited the shop. While they didnt show much of the store they did scan a display case and from what i can tell, he did have some vintage but not very much. I really doubt he would have any pre-war items as it looked mainly like a "shiney" card shop.

slidekellyslide
01-29-2010, 01:02 PM
I appeared in a Miller Lite Super Bowl ad in 1997. My then girlfriend and I...now my wife were eating at a sports bar here in town and the radio station was doing a live broadcast from there...I noticed on their table that they had stuff you could sign up for to win so I put my name in the fishbowl...about a week went by and I got a call that woke me up from the radio guys wanting to know if they could put me on the air...I had no clue what it was about...I hadn't even realized that I'd signed up for a trip to New Orleans to film a Super Bowl ad...they got a real kick out of that. There were 50 people across the US that won this....one from every state, and I was a "delegate" from Nebraska. We got to stay on a steamboat which took us upriver to an old Civil War era plantation..(I guess they filmed "Interview with the Vampire" there) where we had our own private concert put on by the band Dishwalla (Counting Blue Cars)...we met up with the cast of Mad TV and partied with them all night, they headed back with us on the steamboat to New Orleans where we all went to The House of Blues for another concert (Buckwheat Zydeco? and Dread Zeppelin)...there was much partying through the night....Artie Lange was putting away a massive amount of alcohol...then the next morning we filmed the Super Bowl Ad...stayed one more day for sight seeing and flew home the next. Somewhere in my basement is a VHS tape of the 1997 Super Bowl with that ad, but I haven't seen it in about 12 years now.

Leon
01-29-2010, 01:28 PM
Dan that is a great story. It must have been a blast.

slidekellyslide
01-29-2010, 01:43 PM
Dan that is a great story. It must have been a blast.

More fun than humans should be allowed to have. I don't know how anyone lives in that kind of humidity though.

Jim VB
01-29-2010, 01:53 PM
More fun that humans should be allowed to have. I don't know how anyone lives in that kind of humidity though.

Easy. You NEVER have to shovel 23" of humidity off your driveway. That and constant A/C.

slidekellyslide
01-29-2010, 02:04 PM
beats the 10 feet of humidity that filled up New Orleans a few years back.

quinnsryche
01-29-2010, 02:07 PM
Easy. You NEVER have to shovel 23" of humidity off your driveway. That and constant A/C.

Damn straight!

barrysloate
01-29-2010, 02:13 PM
Constant A/C would kill me. It could be 90 degrees and humid and I still won't turn it on. It drives my wife nuts.

Jim VB
01-29-2010, 02:19 PM
Constant A/C would kill me. It could be 90 degrees and humid and I still won't turn it on. It drives my wife nuts.

Clarify please. Constant A/C drives her nuts, or your refusal to turn it on drives her nuts? (My money's on you, Barry.) :D

Jim VB
01-29-2010, 02:19 PM
beats the 10 feet of humidity that filled up New Orleans a few years back.

Once! Once! Sheesh! One damn time and you won't forget!

teetwoohsix
01-29-2010, 02:20 PM
Here in Vegas,every summer,we give praise to the almighty A/C gods-and run them 24/7(you HAVE to).And the humidity is almost non-existant.:D

barrysloate
01-29-2010, 02:25 PM
My refusal to turn it on, of course. She's the normal one.

Jim VB
01-29-2010, 02:31 PM
My wife and I have been fighting it for close to 28 years. I'm "comfortable" anywhere between 60 and 80 degrees. She's "comfortable" anywhere between 74 and 75 degrees. So we set it at 67 in the winter (and she freezes) and 78 in the summer (and she's boiling.)

And, it doesn't matter where we are, NY, CT, MN, OH, or TX.

I see no solution in sight.

barrysloate
01-29-2010, 02:33 PM
So if you set it for 74 or 75, wouldn't that in fact be in both your zones?

Fred
01-29-2010, 02:38 PM
Yeah Barry, that would be in both zones but that would mean he'd have to give in... we're all guys (mostly).....

barrysloate
01-29-2010, 02:40 PM
You give a little, and you get a little.

Jim VB
01-29-2010, 02:50 PM
So if you set it for 74 or 75, wouldn't that in fact be in both your zones?

Look at it this way. On a "normal" winter day in Dallas (say 55-56 degrees) the temp inside would be about 62, if we ran no heat. So I'm heating it 5 degrees. If I set it at 75, I'm heating the house 12 degrees. Your way just bumped my heating bill 140%.

In the summer, even on the worst days (100+ degrees) The house would be around 85, so I'm cooling it 7 degrees. By setting it at 74, I have to cool it 11 degrees, an increase of 57%.

So, 74-75 degrees raises my gas/electric bill about 100%. I'm against that.

barrysloate
01-29-2010, 03:01 PM
Got it... I keep my house at 68, but my apartment at 72 (because we don't pay for it).:)

bmarlowe1
01-29-2010, 04:00 PM

Shovels are so 19thC, appropriate for a pre-war forum I guess. I prefer a 6hp 2-stage snow thrower - it's actually fun.

If it's above 70 degrees. I'm way too hot. I guess I could never live with Barry or Jim.