PDA

View Full Version : Help with Picture

D. Broughman
01-29-2010, 11:08 AM
Anyone know what team, player and about what year this picture is from? It is an Associated Press wirephoto. Thanks D.

Chris Counts
01-29-2010, 11:31 AM
It looks like Cecil Travis to me. I looked up the Senators' jerseys from that era it appears the photo was taken in '36 or '37 ...

D. Broughman
01-30-2010, 10:55 AM
Thanks Chris I was able to search about Cecil Travis very interesting. Thanks Again! D.

Chris Counts
01-30-2010, 11:03 AM
Travis had a pretty remarkable career. He rarely gets much support for the Hall of Fame, but he has the third highest career average for all shortstops. The HOF voters say he didn't play long enough, but they don't take into consideration the fact that he missed some prime years to WWII. In fact, he suffered severe frostbite during the Battle of the Bulge. I've always been partial to him because my uncle played on a team Travis managed in Germany during the war ...

D. Broughman
01-30-2010, 11:19 AM
I'm looking forward to reading Cecil Travis of the Wasgington Senators by Rob Kirkpatrick. D.

collectbaseball
01-31-2010, 08:54 PM
Travis had a pretty remarkable career. He rarely gets much support for the Hall of Fame, but he has the third highest career average for all shortstops. The HOF voters say he didn't play long enough, but they don't take into consideration the fact that he missed some prime years to WWII. In fact, he suffered severe frostbite during the Battle of the Bulge. I've always been partial to him because my uncle played on a team Travis managed in Germany during the war ...

That's really cool -- I had never really heard of Cecil Travis before, but after looking into him a bit I think he does deserve more of a shot at the HOF... I mean if Joe Gordon is a Hall of Famer, why not Travis? He led the league with 218 hits in 1941 prior to losing four years to WWII -- the guy was entering the prime of his career. That's a shame :(

mr2686
02-01-2010, 08:49 AM
Thanks guys for putting Cecil Travis on my radar. I love to collect players that are overlooked but deserving of HOF consideration

Chris Counts
02-01-2010, 12:11 PM
Mike, I too go out of my way to collect deserving players who were snubbed in the Hall of Fame voting. It's amazing to me how many worthy players are not in the Hall of Fame. I'm surprised how many collectors consider membership in the Hall of Fame to be a true measure of player's career, which certainly isn't the case. Is there any logical reason why Travis' cards should sell for less those of Rabbit Maranville, Dave Bancroft and Travis Jackson? It's only because they're in Cooperstown and Travis isn't ... even though he was arguably a better player ...