PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know why PSA puts the plastic sheet in some slabs?

PolarBear
01-27-2010, 10:42 PM
It makes sense if the card is too small for the inner dimensions of the holder as is the case much of the time with PSA holders, but why do they do it sometimes with tobacco sized cards that fit ok in the holder?

I don't get their reasoning behind when they will use it or not.

drc
01-27-2010, 10:49 PM
This doesn't directly answer your question, but the plastic bag, while not popular aesthetically, gives better protection to the card.

blades3
01-29-2010, 07:28 PM
It's just another layer of protection. Even if the card fits ok, it still slides around some if the plastic isn't there. Most of the pre-war cards are so thin that it's difficult to make a holder that with a thin enough pocket to hold the card in place. I've seen a lot of SGC holders (not picking on them; great grading company) where a card like a T206 has slid behind the black insert and is at great risk to get damaged.

PolarBear
01-29-2010, 09:22 PM
Steve, makes sense. I guess the question would be then do they always do that now when they slab certain cards like t206?

Bosox Blair
01-30-2010, 11:13 AM
I guess the question would be then do they always do that now when they slab certain cards like t206?

From what I've seen, there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. For instance I collect PSA-graded Dockmans. Some have the plastic and some don't. Same with other T and E cards I've seen.

Cheers,
Blair

theuclakid
01-30-2010, 02:19 PM
psa inserts the plastic sleeve if they have run out of the correct size holders for the issue (inside area space) and have to use a holder with a somewhat larger inside space, or if the card itself is oversized and needs to fits in a larger space within the holder than what is usually seen with that issue....I recently had an e92 wagner that was oversized and required this compromise

uffda51
01-30-2010, 06:39 PM
http://homepage.mac.com/thurber51/.Pictures/Grading%20Mishaps/Zeenut%20Weaver.jpg

There are still a few kinks in the system . . .

Bosox Blair
01-30-2010, 10:30 PM
psa inserts the plastic sleeve if they have run out of the correct size holders for the issue (inside area space) and have to use a holder with a somewhat larger inside space, or if the card itself is oversized and needs to fits in a larger space within the holder than what is usually seen with that issue....I recently had an e92 wagner that was oversized and required this compromise

That describes some cases, but certainly not all. As I said earlier, there is no rhyme or reason. I have many cards in the proper holder for the issue with plastic and many others without. There is no logic to it.

Cheers,
Blair