PDA

View Full Version : Do you collect M101-2 Sporting News supplements?

drumback
01-27-2010, 11:06 AM
I'm just wondering what board members think about this set, and how many are actually collecting them. Also, if anyone has any with the ads on back, I would very much like to see scans. I have been collecting this set for a couple of years, and have yet to see even one with an ad on the back. Are they really that scarce?

thegashousegang
01-27-2010, 11:31 AM
I'm currently collecting the set, although it's not priority #1. I'm only around 30% complete, as this is a long-term project. All are blank on the reverse.

By the way, great set at fairly reasonable prices for most.

bcbgcbrcb
01-27-2010, 01:45 PM
I like the set too, I have a few individual copies, none with ad backs though.

doug.goodman
01-27-2010, 01:48 PM
I have 94 of 100, plus a few duplicates, and I have yet to see an ad back.

Doug

lhardem
01-27-2010, 03:01 PM
drumback

In case you don't already know, John Spano did a comprehensive article in Issue #15 of Old Cardboard magazine. It includes a Gallery of all 100-supplements as well as all four currently known back variations.

I have always thought that it is a very appealing set to collect. Good luck in your quest.

Lyman

Michael Peich
01-27-2010, 06:55 PM
I am about 90% complete on the set, and think it is under-appreciated. Condition is certainly a factor given that these are supplements, but I've always found supplements very attractive and interesting. I do own an ad back, Charles C. Spink and Son checklist back (reproduced in the article Lyman references). The Old Cardboard article, like everything else they publish, is the best resource on M101-2s.

Cheers, Mike

tiger8mush
01-27-2010, 08:06 PM
I too have been collecting the set for a couple years. I've seen scans of ad backs, but never seen one for sale. Every ad back I've seen a scan of shows the Supplement folded twice: once each way.

Not that anyone asked, but my fav is the Cobb. Plank is up there too, with Matty and Bresnahan and Magee and the team photos and a few others being close behind. So if anyone has a Cobb available ... lemme know! :)

Rob

erstevens
01-28-2010, 05:44 AM
I have 25 or 30 of the M101-2s (none of the biggies). I slip in and out of collecting the set. I do have two with ad backs - one Lobert (pictured in OC article) and the other Fletcher. I bought the Lobert from Sports Artifacts several years ago for $10. It was advertised with the reverse showing. The Fletcher came in a small group from Steve Verkman a couple years ago. It wasn't listed as anything but a common card (might have been $10 also). I was very pleased when I opened the package. Both the Lobert and Fletcher have the same red back. They also have a vertical and horizontal fold (folded to 1/4 size).

Jacklitsch
01-28-2010, 07:06 AM
http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g5/jacklitsch1/M101-2/

thegashousegang
01-28-2010, 08:20 AM
Nice gallery Steve, thanks.

JK
01-28-2010, 11:58 AM
I pick them up periodically. Framed, they serve as nice and relatively inexpensive decorations/art for the home office:

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e211/jkrasner2/DSC01079_edited-21Small.jpg