PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Baseball Cap Help

bigfish
01-24-2010, 12:36 PM
Looking for help regarding this hat. Not sure of it's year or who made it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Toby

perezfan
01-24-2010, 01:15 PM
Very difficult to know who made it without a manufacturer's tag. Could be Spalding, Reach or Goldsmith, but remnants of a tag or stitching/holes should be present somewhere on the sweatband. Since the sweatband on this example is in pristine condition, it is highly unlikely that a tag has worn away... so perhaps it's a smaller or "local" manufacturer.

As for the vintage, early 1900s - teens would be a good guess. Tough to pinpoint, as this short-billed style was popular for well over a decade. A nice example and very clean... a few unobtrusive moth holes, but it is rare to find one that retains this level of whiteness with so little use. This one's a beauty!

thxforthebp
01-24-2010, 02:15 PM
I might be wrong but looks like a freshman college beenie, 47 either being the year it was worn or the year that they would graduate.

example....
Class of 1973 Freshman Beanie
Lesley College's tradition of freshman initiation officially began in September 1944 when the seniors from class of 1945 asked that a list of demands be met by the newest members of the Lesley Community. According to those who witnessed it, that first initiation was never to be forgotten: "All forms of salaams and impromptu recitations were made, all automobiles in sight were spotlessly clean due to unaccustomed attention, and as a climax, a performance took place in front of [the class of] '45' that would equal that of the Radio City Rockettes" (Lesleyan, 1948, p.78). By 1949, freshman were required to wear a beanie to distinguish themselves during initiation. Donated by Leslie Aitken, '73, the 1973 beanie is one of the Lesley University Archives' most precious treasures.

perezfan
01-24-2010, 03:22 PM
Interesting perspective... you may be right on, as the two caps are VERY similar. That would also explain the lack of manufacturer's tagging and the newness in appearance. Great post, and I stand corrected!

bigfish
01-24-2010, 06:48 PM
I appreciate the time!!

perezfan
01-24-2010, 07:57 PM
Well... here's a completed auction that features a nearly identical short-billed cap with the number "40" on the front. This grouping places the cap with other baseball equipment, so who knows...

http://cgi.ebay.com/INCREDIBLE-LOT-OF-ANTIQUE-BASEBALL-GLOVES-HAT-ETC_W0QQitemZ320476437009QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintag e_Sports_Memorabilia?hash=item4a9de25a11

I suppose these numbered caps could be either Baseball caps or college beanies. The ebay grouping realized a good price, so I guess those bidders at least felt it was baseball-related.

olsport
01-24-2010, 10:39 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Childs-1900s-Baseball-Hat-39_W0QQitemZ360228296574QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintage _Sports_Memorabilia?hash=item53df47977e Wanna buy one for 10.00? School beanie-Definately