PDA

View Full Version : Lefty Grove = Lefty Groves... And Lefty's 1921 Tip Top Bread Card

leftygrove10
01-18-2010, 03:37 PM
The 1921 Tip Top Bread Card of Lefty Grove has gotten significant attention over the past few months. The card that was recently auctioned sold for $27,500 before the juice. In several of the articles regarding the card and the auction, it has been mentioned that Lefty Grove's name was erroneously shown on the card to be Lefty "Groves". I would just like to clear up that the card was not in error in listing Lefty as Lefty "Groves". Lefty was born as Lefty Groves. The "s" was later dropped and he became known thereafter as Lefty Grove.

Here is a scan of the 1921 Tip Top Bread card of Lefty. (For the books, this is not my card. I did not win the auction.)

http://www.bandkgreen.net/1921_tip_top_bread2_net54.jpg

Other early cards and pictures also show Lefty's name as Lefty "Groves". These items include a picture of the 1921 Orioles and a 1925 (approximate year) Major League Ball Die-Cut.

http://www.bandkgreen.net/1921_orioles2_net54.jpg

http://www.bandkgreen.net/1925_mlbdiecut_groves_net54.jpg

Lefty's 1927 W560 card shows his name as Grove. Every card thereafter shows Lefty's name as Lefty Grove.

According to the book "Lefty Grove: American Original" by Jim Kaplan, Lefty was born as Robert Moses Groves. The book lists Lefty's paternal ancestors as using the last name Groves. According to other articles that I've read, his name was shortened from "Groves" to "Grove" in part because the media continually used the name Grove instead of Groves. I'm not sure how that got started.

Many of you may not care, but this has been bugging me from the time this card first showed up. If we are going to be talking about this card for many years to come, then I want to make sure that we all understand that the card did not print "Groves" in error. That was the name that he was using in 1921.

barrysloate
01-18-2010, 03:51 PM
Good observation Brad. I didn't know that about Lefty.

Matt
01-18-2010, 03:53 PM
Many of you may not care, but this has been bugging me from the time this card first showed up. If we are going to be talking about this card for many years to come, then I want to make sure that we all understand that the card did not print "Groves" in error.

We all have areas where we may have more knowledge then other collectors and when an issue surfaces in that wheelhouse it makes for a positive society when you come forward and share your knowledge.

I guess, I'm trying to say thanks :).

Kawika
01-18-2010, 04:04 PM
Exactness does count in my book, too. Thanks for the information, Brad. If anyone would know you would be the one. I noticed on your website that his tombstone shows the name "Grove". Do you suppose he changed his name legally at some point?
http://www.bandkgreen.net/lefty_grove/photos.htm

(I add parenthetically on a similar note that I wish I had a dollar for every time I have been called Mr. McDonalds by one dumbo or another. To the best of my knowledge there never was an "s" in all the generations).

Matt
01-18-2010, 04:07 PM
I add paranthetically on a similar note that I wish I had a dollar for every time I have been called Mr. McDonalds by one dumbo or another.

No, no - they meant Mr McDonalds plural, you know, for your frequent, mid-day, Big Mac benders. Like Mr MoneyBags.

Kawika
01-18-2010, 04:09 PM
Maybe we should start employing first person plural in our postings.

Jim VB
01-18-2010, 04:16 PM
Hawaii's Toughest Want List?

leftygrove10
01-18-2010, 04:18 PM
Do you suppose he changed his name legally at some point?

In 1925 or 1926, I don't think there was anything legal about names. So, I would say, No, he didn't legally change his name. He just started using "Grove" instead of "Groves".

Part of this opinion comes from a converstation that I had with my aunt several years ago. My aunt grew up in the small town of Lonaconing, MD just like Lefty. She was born just a few years after him in the 1920's. We all knew her as Catherine. However, she was born as "Katherine". She said that in school, when she first started writing her name, she was having trouble writing the K in "Katherine". The teacher said one day, "Just make it a C instead of a K. C's are easier to write." So, her name became Catherine. I said to her, what about your birth certificate? She said, "Brad, in the 1920's, there were no birth certificates."

Cat
01-18-2010, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the info.

BTW, did that Net 54 Kabul win the Tip Top commons?

ChiefBenderForever
01-18-2010, 04:50 PM
Great info Brad, I hope you can add that card to your collection someday ! Is that his RC ?

leftygrove10
01-18-2010, 04:54 PM
Is that his RC ?

Most people would consider the Tip Top Bread card to be Lefty's Pre-Rookie card since it was issued in 1921 when he played minor-league baseball for the Baltimore Orioles of the International League.

Orioles1954
01-19-2010, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the background info Brad! I was the writer of the Lefty Grove card. I hope to have otherwise done it justice :)

James

Rose4HOF
10-15-2019, 12:55 AM
Someone needs to alert homeland security. He better not plan on getting a passport and heaven forbid he moves and goes in for a new license without the old one and his birth certificate matching 100%. Boy, times sure have changed.