PDA

View Full Version : 'Satchel': The Story of An American Baseball Legend

3and2
01-18-2010, 03:00 PM
Did anyone catch Fresh Air Today? There was an interesting story on NPR about Satchel Paige. Larry Tye the author of the book discusses. Click the "Listen to the Story" to hear it

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=122627581

Baseball Glove Collector
01-19-2010, 09:36 PM
Thanks for pointing that out Anthony. I'll go check it out. I read this book last year. My kids got it for me for Father's Day. I loved it so much I just picked up a 1st Edition of Maybe I'll Pitch Forever. I wanted to compare the two.

JD

Scott Garner
01-20-2010, 01:23 AM
Anthony-
Great post! I listened to the interview with the author & I'm going to have to read the book soon.

metrotheme
01-21-2010, 08:10 PM
I was slightly underwhelmed by the book. I was expecting some Satchel stories that I hadn't really heard before. There wasn't anything mindblowing in there that I thought he would have uncovered. I've interviewed almost all of Satchel's living teammates from the Browns / Indians / Miami Marlins and I got some great stories out of them that didn't come up in his book. I will say this, everyone I interviewed said the same thing almost verbatim. His control was the best they've ever seen from a pitcher. Most told me how he'd warm up by either throwing over a matchbook or a gum wrapper.