PDA

View Full Version : help with old PArker Bros game

ullmandds
01-16-2010, 12:37 PM
Hey guys...can anyone provide information re. age, pricing, which parts look original for this game here. Any help is appreciated.

jbsports33
01-16-2010, 12:51 PM
Very nice early game most likely from the late 1880s or 1890s, some of the Parker Bros games would have the date in the paper instructions or even on the board itself. Still could be a later model that was made between 1900-1905, but no later then that. It does appear you maybe missing some chips and instructions, but with out seeing it in person it’s hard to tell. There are games that just have the instructions on the board, which I think yours does. I would say it’s in the 200.00-300.00 range in that condition, but have seen them higher in better condition. Unfortunately items like this have gone down in price from a few years ago, but still a nice attractive baseball piece.

Jimmy

base_ball
01-16-2010, 01:08 PM
Page 40 of Mark Cooper's "Baseball Games" book. And here:

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/games/dice/index.html

at the Hall of Fame..where you can actually "play" the game.

I have never seen the containers for the parts/dice. This 19th Century game is scarce, and very desirable to baseball game collectors due to the early issue, fabulous graphics, and maker, the venerable Parker Brothers. I'd pay $200-$300 dollars for the example shown in a heartbeat.

Butch7999
01-16-2010, 01:46 PM
For sure, $200.-$300. would be a bargain price for that game. We hate to say it (because we'll never be able to afford it), but the typical market price is more than twice that.

Our best research (or really, Hall of Fame Senior Curator Tom Shieber's best research) indicates the game debuted in 1890, although subtle differences in the text inside the box lid of several different examples suggest it was available and reprinted over a number of years. Parker Brothers also produced essentially the same game, with different titles and graphics, as The Game of BaseBall and The College Base Ball Game in the late 1890s and early 1900s.

We've seen examples that included as many as ten markers. None are really "necessary" to play the game, and eight (four a side) seems plenty, so whether eight, ten, or eighteen was the original number, we can only guess. We can say for certain that the game is missing one die, and we're fairly sure that the one included does not look original to the game. We've not previously seen a dice-shaker included with any example.

toyman55
02-15-2010, 12:02 AM
I sold one similar for 750.00 on ebay last year